Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #1

Rivets for slide

Hey Mr. Clemens Did you get a chance to get size of rivets for the outside slide bracket on 3051s Forester. I know you said 1/4" but what lenght ? Thanks ( I finely got the parts to fix striped slide gear but MH is is now in storage will have to have completed in spring will want to replace all screws with rivets as that whole bracket is part of replacement )
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
Commercial Member

It was an expandable rivet. Next time I'm out there I'll get a picture of one.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #3

Thanks for your help. Cheers
Old 10-30-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
Commercial Member

PM me your address and I'll send you a handful. Looks like we only put 2-3 in the lower section of each side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-30 10.21.30.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	349.8 KB
ID:	65595  

Old 10-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #5

Thank- you have sent pm.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
PM me your address and I'll send you a handful. Looks like we only put 2-3 in the lower section of each side.
As we all know,what is shown are commonly called "pop rivets" and aren't the strongest rivet in shear or tension applications. Also if the tool used to set them isn't set properly,they are even less strong.

If you can use the proper size bolts and nuts IMO that would be a better way to go.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
Commercial Member

1. these are just added in addition to another fastener.
2. Bolts and nuts are great but not all that feasible in this application. They are going into aluminum tube. So for a nut and bolt to work you have to go all the way through which puts the nut underneath slide seal.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
1. these are just added in addition to another fastener.
2. Bolts and nuts are great but not all that feasible in this application. They are going into aluminum tube. So for a nut and bolt to work you have to go all the way through which puts the nut underneath slide seal.
Mr Clemens your second statement has me thinking now. When I called Forest River service dept when I noticed my screws striped out and they told me to install screws inbetween the striped ones untill I could get it to the dealer for repair, when I drilled the bracket to install screws, I did not find aluminum tubing behind fiberglass at opening of slide box.Maybe this is why screws striped out in first place, now to set this straight I installed screws in line with originals. My question is, is the tube right at the edge of the opening and did worker on line just miss the tube or is the tube not close enough to opening for screws to thread into? Any thoughts?
Old 10-31-2014, 07:43 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Not sure. When it goes back in to look at the slide gears, have them make sure all those screws are hitting.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:19 PM   #10

Will do that, also was thinking of having them install bracket with screw,rivet,screw,rivet,screw, etc,etc top to bottom using the rivets you are so kindly sending me . Thanks for your help
Old 11-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #11

Hey Jfrauts MM1vet here with same problems as you know. But now a new one. I lost motor #1 on the slide with slide out. This will be 3rd motor in a year. I was in a rv park in roaring spring texas park was empty but for me. Then rhe torrential rain hit. Now no cell or wifi at camper had to drive 3/4 mile to office for service. Ok been talking daily to warranty manager MIKE. can not spell or saw last name correctly. Foundout my warranty ended 9/28/14 but with all problems he will cover. After 2 days of being flooded in rv stuck because roads out were mud and sand. How did i close slide? Well i disconnected motor 1 wire from controller. My wife ran button inside I went out and leaned and pushes the end with bad motor. Now i have broken fused back all the way from the bottom to 2 from the skull. It hurt but we got it in. Braced with wood reinstalled motor 1 wire. Wirh wires in motors lock but i was not taking any chances. Now we got out of there and am in park outside forth worth tx. TRES RIOS. Mike F/R has a dealer here MCclains and he will overnight motors to him and have mobile come replace motors. Hopefully it happens by Tues. I have to be at Pittsburgh VA hospital by 17th for doc appt. So cutting it close because i can not drive 14 hours a day. So i am grateful that Mike at F/R is being so helpfull and I think he really cares and is sorry for all the problems. And now my wife has had it she is really upset and we all know what it is like when wife is not happy. I need lots of poitive energy and thoughts sent my way so we can get repairs and safely get to pittsburgh
USNMM1VETERAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #12

MM1vet I really feel for you and your better half, when it rains it really pours !!!! Hope you get this worked out and your back is OK after all these problems you are having. I have put mine away for the winter and don't want to think about it until spring when it goes in for the slide gear bracket replacement.Good luck and kept posting progress Cheers. John
Old 11-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #13

Yea well this is our home now so problems like this are very disruptive. It has been a real learning experience starting fulltiming in July and what it takes to keep your home in running shape.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #14

Also jfrauts do not just put in rivets without having core problem fixed. I was mechanical contractor for 20 years after navy. Those are hefty 3/8 sheet metal screws and won't just back out. There is something causing a big force on them when slide goes in. Make sure alignment of slide is done or you will be burning up motors and seeing rivets tear out.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:58 PM   #15

Thanks for the heads up USNMM1 I am wondering why I didn't just put some money into my old Glendale Royal Classic and wouldn't have these problems. Oh well hind sight is 20-20 hopefully we get these things worked out

Tags
slide