Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2019, 06:12 PM   #1

RM3150 fridge door fell off

Back from another trip a now a few more problems to fix. When we arrived home my wife opened the the fridge door to start removing the food and the door fell off! Now how does that happen?

I do recall going over a newly reconstructed bridge where apparently the construction crew did a rather poor job of aligning the old road and the new bridge and now it's a rather jarring bump in the road. The impact even forced open a few drawers in the kitchen.

I'm sure that impact did something to the door to lift it off the hinge a bit and when my wife tried to open it, it just slid off the hinge and hit the floor with a large thump. Fortunately my wife's foot was not in the way otherwise it could have also been a trip to the emergency ward.

Nothing seem to have been broken on the door or fridge so now it's a matter of trying to figure out how to put it back on. I tried to see if there's a way to get it back on without removing the lower hinge but I don't see a way to do that. The best method might be to remove the lower hinge, place the door on the upper hinge, slide on the lower hinge, then slide the combination of hinge/door back into place and then screw the hinge back on. However, to do that would also require removing (2) screws along the side of the fridge which are behind the cabinet. If I could slide the fridge out of the cabinet 2 or 3 inches I should be able to do that but I'm not sure how challenging sliding a double wide fridge out of the cabinet would be.

Does anyone have any experience replacing or removing doors on a Dometic fridge and/or sliding the fridge out of the cabinet? If this requires too much effort then I might have to look into have a local shop repairing it just so I don'd create more issues which could jeopardize a two week trip at the end of this month.

Thanks again.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190903_183142a.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	214165   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190903_182801.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	214166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Hinge Side screws.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	214167  
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:04 PM   #2

refrig door

Moving the refrigerator requires disconnecting ice maker line, gas line, 12 VDC, and 120 VAC. There are two screws at the back, and a handful inside the door.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMulcahy View Post
Moving the refrigerator requires disconnecting ice maker line, gas line, 12 VDC, and 120 VAC. There are two screws at the back, and a handful inside the door.
It only has to slide out 2 inches to get the hinge side screws, and I saw the 4 screws that hold it in the cabinet. I just dropped it off this morning at a local shop to have them fix it as I just don't have the time to work on it before our next trip. I also don't want to do anything to damage it and have a larger issue.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:03 AM   #4

We have the same refrigerator. Depending on the flexibility of the lower hinge I would put the upper hinge pin into the door and try to pry the lower pin back into the lower hinge hole.

It came out without removing the hinge, it should go back with some coaxing.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:58 PM   #5

Back from the shop, they did have to slide the fridge out of the cabinet a few inches to allow the bottom hinge to be removed and the door placed back on. I'm still scratching my head as to how this could have happened in the first place but I'd say it is a faulty design. The bottom pin in the hinge is also a screw so it seems possible that if the door is adjusted up to high a good bump could jump the door/pin out off the hinge bracket which is what happened here.

Tags
door, forester, fridge