Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #1

Roller shades.

Eventually I would like to swap out our pleated window shades for roller shades. You know, the ones Forest River started putting in on the 2nd generation 2016 coaches. We just missed out, and I really love the simplicity and functionality of them. Anyone add this improvement to your coach? Suggestions, places to save, DIY tips or how to videos (even better) appreciated. We have a 2016 2861DS.
1979 Tioga 25' bunkbed (first RV in 1992)
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:39 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

FR is using the single roller shades from MCD. You can get them factory direct. They are located in Michigan just across the border from Elkhart, IN. I replaced a mini blind with a dual roller sunscreen and night shade. They really help if you want the light but not the heat. Mine was custom made by Wade RV in Seffner, FL. We camped at LazyDays, they came to our site and measured. Next day they came back, removed the old and installed the new. Voila!
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:57 PM   #3
Site Team

I know several folks who have upgraded their RV's to roller shades bought at Home Despot or other "home" stores. Place like Home Despot can cut them to any width you may need. I've also seen some "faux" wood blinds that looked very good in the dining / living areas instead of rollers or the OEM pleated units. And you can bet they will cost less at a "home" store...

If you want a dual screen it will be harder to find except at a RV supplier.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

I forgot that I did use a Home Despot* cut to fit room darkening roller shade for the emergency escape rear window in my A. It had a curtain attached to a wood box valance so it was easy to mount the brackets. This was in addition to the curtains. I do not remember that it ever rolled up on its own. Wish I had a pic to post.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
FR is using the single roller shades from MCD. You can get them factory direct. They are located in Michigan just across the border from Elkhart, IN. I replaced a mini blind with a dual roller sunscreen and night shade. They really help if you want the light but not the heat. Mine was custom made by Wade RV in Seffner, FL. We camped at LazyDays, they came to our site and measured. Next day they came back, removed the old and installed the new. Voila!

Sounds like a good deal. Looking into this!
Old 05-12-2018, 09:41 PM   #6

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. I didn't know which company Forest River used for their roller shades, so I'm glad to know it's MCD and you can purchase directly from them. I'll check out some options at Lowe's or Home Depot too when we're ready to do this.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:58 PM   #7
Citrus County, Fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinandLen View Post
Eventually I would like to swap out our pleated window shades for roller shades. You know, the ones Forest River started putting in on the 2nd generation 2016 coaches. We just missed out, and I really love the simplicity and functionality of them. Anyone add this improvement to your coach? Suggestions, places to save, DIY tips or how to videos (even better) appreciated. We have a 2016 2861DS.
I hate to break the bad news but you could have got roller shades in your 2016. We got ours June 18 2015 and ordered them. I think we were the guinea pigs.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:22 PM   #8

We didn’t have the option of ordering the shades. We bought this coach used.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:36 PM   #9

Ours came with the roller shades but from Irvine Shade company from Irvine, CA. I think FR only used them for a short time. They also carry the double roller shades that MCD does but slightly different color selection and we found were just a little bit cheaper but not by much.

Slow-Rise Roller Shades : Irvine Shade and Door
HopHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:42 PM   #10

HopHed, what color are yours? They have oyster, champagne, and suede. The suede looks a little peachy.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:55 PM   #11

Pretty sure it was the champagne. We were planning on replacing ours with the double roller to have the black out and the partial sun block but was a bit pricey. MCD was also pricey and slightly more. Both will supply samples if you call, to help make your decision on color. Both have booths at the Pomona RV show in October if you want to make the drive and actually check out their shades and colors on display.
HopHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHed View Post
Pretty sure it was the champagne. We were planning on replacing ours with the double roller to have the black out and the partial sun block but was a bit pricey. MCD was also pricey and slightly more. Both will supply samples if you call, to help make your decision on color. Both have booths at the Pomona RV show in October if you want to make the drive and actually check out their shades and colors on display.

Yes, and then I would like them to measure and install right then and there!
Old 05-18-2018, 03:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHed View Post
Hello I represent Shadesmith I can make the drive out to you and take measurements as well. We also offer install and we are a supplier for Irvine shade and door. Who specialize in the slow rise roller shade.

Call me at 9094854073 I'll give you 20% off
Shadesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinandLen View Post

I replaced ours this year. Ordered thru a dealer from the FR factory to fit the windows in our 3051.

Was around $300+ for all but the small window in the bedroom portion of slide - they didn’t have any spares at the factory.

We had the pleated as well and they didn’t stop any heat I don’t think.

The MCD shades were an easy swap - used the screws from the old pleated string ones and same holes to put them up. Did order the brackets too since we were changing types of blinds.

The new ones are listed as 95% blockers I believe.

They work wonderfully and the inside of the coach is much more comfortable with them installed. A/C no longer running continuously etc etc.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:02 AM   #15

[QUOTE=Gumpster808;1828476]I replaced ours this year. Ordered thru a dealer from the FR factory to fit the windows in our 3051.

Was around $300+ for all but the small window in the bedroom portion of slide - they didn’t have any spares at the factory.

We had the pleated as well and they didn’t stop any heat I don’t think.

The MCD shades were an easy swap - used the screws from the old pleated string ones and same holes to put them up. Did order the brackets too since we were changing types of blinds.

The new ones are listed as 95% blockers I believe.

They work wonderfully and the inside of the coach is much more comfortable with them installed. A/C no longer running continuously

If you are saying $300 for all of them and not a piece, can you share an email or phone # to contact? I priced them awhile ago and I think it was pretty astronomical!
carol108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol108 View Post

If you are saying $300 for all of them and not a piece, can you share an email or phone # to contact? I priced them awhile ago and I think it was pretty astronomical!
I am not far away from RV Wholesalers in Ohio so I ordered thru them - they ordered from FR Factory since they have not changed the window sizes in the 3051 and they are using them in the new models now.

Rough prices:
Bedroom back window $110
Two side windows by dinette and couch (same size) $100 each
Small window by kitchen counter $62

So overall about $372 and then the brackets were additional. Didn't have to pay shipping since I picked up at dealer.

The only one the factory didn't have was the small one in the bedroom on the slide - probably didn't have any extra they could spare that was not needed on the line

Ours are tan so they go real good with the brown interior we have - not sure what all colors they are available in.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
I am not far away from RV Wholesalers in Ohio so I ordered thru them - they ordered from FR Factory since they have not changed the window sizes in the 3051 and they are using them in the new models now.

Rough prices:
Bedroom back window $110
Two side windows by dinette and couch (same size) $100 each
Small window by kitchen counter $62

So overall about $372 and then the brackets were additional. Didn't have to pay shipping since I picked up at dealer.

The only one the factory didn't have was the small one in the bedroom on the slide - probably didn't have any extra they could spare that was not needed on the line

Ours are tan so they go real good with the brown interior we have - not sure what all colors they are available in.

Thanks, I’ll look them up and see what they have.
carol108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #18
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
We got some store brand roller shades from Walmert. We put them in ourselves... sorta a PITA (pain in the a**). But they were cheat, and do the job just fine.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote