Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2016, 11:06 PM   #91
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 46
Red face How are you checking the clearance lights?

I'd like to check the clearance lights on our 3171, but I am wondering what is the best way? Lay on the roof? Stand on the hood? Use a ladder off to the side?

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Pixey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:12 PM   #92
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 15
I can easily say that buying a new $75,000 project motorhome is the worst financial decision I have made in my 52 years. I hate looking at the thing. It just brings head and heartache every time I look at it. Thinking of how I can rid myself of it without losing too much money. The last thing I set out to do when buying it was taking on and engineering and repair project. I work hard enough to earn a living. I though let's take some well deserved time off and spend some time with the kids before they go off to college. Well, thanks to the losers who "work" at Forestriver and put **** out the door all my plans are shot. I have a leaky moldy motorhome that the dealers don't have time to work on, the manufacture has put as little effort into helping me to repair as possible. I have lost $15,000 on it so far if I can find a sucker to give me $60,000 for it. I've bought used motorhomes, airplanes, motorcycles, snowmobiles, and never, I mean never have I bought something so disappointing!! If I can help someone, anyone from making the same mistake at least I can feel good about that!
__________________

__________________
theboyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:33 PM   #93
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 40
Theboyss, I would contact Motorhome Magazine. They have a service for folks who have a persistent, unaddressed problem and are looking for a last resort solution. I believe that they require you to contact them by mail and send along a detailed history of your troubles. They will then approach the manufacturer on your behalf in order to provide a solution. They seem to almost always get results since no manufacturer wants to see their product appear in this column of a national RV magazine. To find out the details you can pick up a copy of the magazine at a library or contact them directly to find out the details of how to proceed. Good luck! BTW, I am also rethinking my upcoming purchase of a Forest River RV.
__________________
mbauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:37 AM   #94
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixey View Post
I'd like to check the clearance lights on our 3171, but I am wondering what is the best way? Lay on the roof? Stand on the hood? Use a ladder off to the side?

Thanks!
I find it's best from the roof. Lay on the roof face down over the cab. Very easy to get to from there.
__________________
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:34 PM   #95
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixey View Post
I'd like to check the clearance lights on our 3171, but I am wondering what is the best way? Lay on the roof? Stand on the hood? Use a ladder off to the side?

Thanks!
I started off with an 8' painter's ladder and checked the outside ones. Then went on the roof and laid on my stomach and checked the 3 center ones. I brought up a rubber mallet and a block of wood and tapped them in a little until the chrome ring was tight. Only 2 were loose, the passenger side one that's in the photo and one of the center ones. The other 3 were tight, but I gave them a little tap each for good measure. Going to check twice a year from now on.
I have always been concerned about cabover leaks as I had my front facing cabover window in my Winnebago leak at the upper corner and cause the luan to swell producing a 1"x3" delamination. Removed the window and found Winnebago didn't center the window in the opening and only the edge of the butyl tape and caulk were preventing it from leaking. The frame was right on the edge of the opening. I'm glad most class C's no longer come with them!
No one has complained about side window leaks which is good. So it's clearance lights or seams.
__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2015 Camping 3 trips 6 nights
2016 Camping 11 trips 33 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:02 PM   #96
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 309
I feel really bad for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboyss View Post
I can easily say that buying a new $75,000 project motorhome is the worst financial decision I have made in my 52 years. I hate looking at the thing. It just brings head and heartache every time I look at it. Thinking of how I can rid myself of it without losing too much money. The last thing I set out to do when buying it was taking on and engineering and repair project. I work hard enough to earn a living. I though let's take some well deserved time off and spend some time with the kids before they go off to college. Well, thanks to the losers who "work" at Forestriver and put **** out the door all my plans are shot. I have a leaky moldy motorhome that the dealers don't have time to work on, the manufacture has put as little effort into helping me to repair as possible. I have lost $15,000 on it so far if I can find a sucker to give me $60,000 for it. I've bought used motorhomes, airplanes, motorcycles, snowmobiles, and never, I mean never have I bought something so disappointing!! If I can help someone, anyone from making the same mistake at least I can feel good about that!
It sounds like we are a lot alike (except for the motorcycles). My MH problems were minor in comparison. If I were you, I would do as the other poster suggested and if that fails to get you the results you want, hire an attorney.

If FR had any decency (or frankly any sense), they would be giving you your money back tomorrow.
__________________
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #97
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1
To THE BOYSS we got a brand new 2016 sunseeker by forest river c class last weekend.. Rained pretty good midweek here in Wilmington nc... Friday we loaded it up and when I put in drive... I got an unexpected shower... EXACTLY the same problem you described.. Even water pouring out of corner channel behind the passenger door.. I'm a contractor/master carpenter.. Told my wife It could be caulking.. Read your post, so now I'm convinced that's it... My concern, as is yours, interior/unseeable damage.. My theory is, yes, we have a big problem. Foam Insulation in the panels that gets wet will expand, thus future seam pops in panels.. I'm not a happy camper ( no pun intended).. Got ours at camping world myrtle beach SC.... I will be a thorn in their side for sure... Our problem is that is a 2hour drive each way.. They won't reimburse fuel, wear and tear from the excessive trips this will take.... A real bummer.. Good luck!
__________________
Travrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #98
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travrooks View Post
To THE BOYSS we got a brand new 2016 sunseeker by forest river c class last weekend.. Rained pretty good midweek here in Wilmington nc... Friday we loaded it up and when I put in drive... I got an unexpected shower... EXACTLY the same problem you described.. Even water pouring out of corner channel behind the passenger door.. I'm a contractor/master carpenter.. Told my wife It could be caulking.. Read your post, so now I'm convinced that's it... My concern, as is yours, interior/unseeable damage.. My theory is, yes, we have a big problem. Foam Insulation in the panels that gets wet will expand, thus future seam pops in panels.. I'm not a happy camper ( no pun intended).. Got ours at camping world myrtle beach SC.... I will be a thorn in their side for sure... Our problem is that is a 2hour drive each way.. They won't reimburse fuel, wear and tear from the excessive trips this will take.... A real bummer.. Good luck!
Which model and can you take photos of exactly where it leaked into?
__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2015 Camping 3 trips 6 nights
2016 Camping 11 trips 33 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #99
Member
 
skylilymd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 61
Roof leak at front cap on 2016 3101ss

I see you found the hidden front cab shower - all joking aside if you can find the leak post some pictures - also if you are in construction you could fix any issues yourself if the dealer will not - I had to fix my front cap roof and it wasn't too terrible
__________________
skylilymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #100
Senior Member
 
KJcachers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 245
Roof leak at front cap on 2016 3101ss

I would be worried about mold growing in the unseen areas where the water sat and soaked into things.
__________________

__________________
Jason and Karen
2015 Forester 3051S

http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
leak, roo, roof

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.