Old 07-10-2016, 12:14 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2 View Post
Failed seal between cab and cab over bunk 2012 3011 DSF

Why is this still a problem ????? Why cant FR figure out a production redesign and put an end to this BS ??????????
I didn't immediately realize that the link you posted was 2 1/2 years old.

I'm guessing that some small percentage of RVs from every manufacturer has some kind of roof failure. The question is is it .5%, 1%, 5% 10% or more?

Rightly so those that suffer from this issue complain the loudest. But in the year I've been posting here (and owned my FR RV) it's only been a small handful of owners with this issue.

I'm confident that FR - or any RV Manufacturer - wants roof leaks to be ZERO percent. But it appears that's not possible at this time.

What does surprise me is with two FR representatives reading this forum why they don't contact owners that report these problems here instantly and begin working with them to get their coaches made right. Certainly every owner with a leaky roof scares away half a dozen potential FR buyers. Short sighted on Forest River's part.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:34 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
I didn't immediately realize that the link you posted was 2 1/2 years old.

I'm guessing that some small percentage of RVs from every manufacturer has some kind of roof failure. The question is is it .5%, 1%, 5% 10% or more?

Rightly so those that suffer from this issue complain the loudest. But in the year I've been posting here (and owned my FR RV) it's only been a small handful of owners with this issue.

I'm confident that FR - or any RV Manufacturer - wants roof leaks to be ZERO percent. But it appears that's not possible at this time.

What does surprise me is with two FR representatives reading this forum why they don't contact owners that report these problems here instantly and begin working with them to get their coaches made right. Certainly every owner with a leaky roof scares away half a dozen potential FR buyers. Short sighted on Forest River's part.
Well, I'm a potential new FR customer who *is* sitting on the fence due to the roof issues. What I'd like to know is whether the front cap to roof junction on some of the models is inherently flawed. If so, it's probably only a matter of time before a leak happens. And I certainly don't want to have to tape up the roof of my new $80,000 motor home from the get go. On another note, my wife and I were hiking along the coast yesterday when we came across some campers in a 27' 20 year old Lazy Daze coach - wow, the full body paint still looked great and both the exterior and interior have held up really well. The roof looked seamless, and has never leaked. I was impressed. Anyway, I'd definitely consider a used thirty foot model with the walk around queen bed, even thought I initially thought I only want to purchase new.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:14 PM   #123

I would rather have a nice used late model Laze Daze, too. But for all practical purposes, they don't exist in the resale market. They are unicorns.

When we bought the Sunseeker, I was making a value calculation. $50K + tax for a new motorhome that might need some extra sealing measures and other occasional repairs, or $100+K for a new Lazy Daze. If I was going to pay $80+K for a FR, the Lazy Daze would look much more interesting. BTW there is a HUGE amount of discount room available in FR MSRP. I don't think anyone should be paying 80K. Get a price from RVDirect, and start there with the dealers of your choice. It worked for me.

I think I made a good decision to buy the FR. I've been watching my roof, and so far no problems. (Other than the unsealed screw heads!, which I sealed very soon after purchase.) But now I think I might as well spend a hundred bucks and tape the perimeter of the roof. At that point the roof is probably as good as a Lazy Daze, Born Free, etc.

I still would love to own a Lazy Daze, though.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #124

''One thing I did notice''.. was a gap between the front end cap and top of the hood above driver and passenger seat, all that weight and all that vibration I think that would make a gap open up on top. I would like to see how they build these RV's. Does anyone know ? I do love my RV but I don't want heartaches down the road with my new 2017 2861DS Thanks..
Old 07-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvufan1958 View Post
''One thing I did notice''.. was a gap between the front end cap and top of the hood above driver and passenger seat, all that weight and all that vibration I think that would make a gap open up on top. I would like to see how they build these RV's. Does anyone know ? I do love my RV but I don't want heartaches down the road with my new 2017 2861DS Thanks..
I know what you mean: the roof of the cab. Well, the cabover is supported by beams on each side. They should be strong enough, in theory.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:13 PM   #126

What amazes me is that issues such as this are even a thing since motorhomes have been produced for so many years plus these are built in factories by trained personnel.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:01 AM   #127

Do those with leaking nose caps have sleepers up there at night and could the weight have bearing on the tweaking of the joints? Specifically, I'm talking about bouncing kids or adults up there. Can uneven leveling cause the cab to flex to the point of leaking too?
2016 Camping 11 trips 33 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:27 AM   #128
Class C Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
I've been Pro-active with people inside this thread and have worked with them to restore the issue or lead in the right direction.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:57 AM   #129

Joshua, that's great. I hoped that this is what was happening. Too bad those folks didn't come back and let everyone know about it. That would help us all feel more confident about FR and the RVs we own.

I wonder why we haven't heard back from these original posters?
Old 07-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #130

Creativepart..that would be great. I have vented..and No one have reached out and contacted me.

Tags
leak, roo, roof