Old 05-24-2016, 11:56 PM   #51

Just took the old moldy headliner down to prep it for the new one - not something I was looking forward to. Here's a shot of the repaired area (I have not taken all the foam down yet it's a pia

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1464147994.630276.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	108949

New roll

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1464148024.514222.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	108951

I have a question for anyone who has taken their motorhome in for warranty for a bad front cap leak - what repair exactly do they do to fix everything ? I had a small leak but if it was larger do they remove the cap and roof ? How would they ever replace the moldy or damaged luan top layer that is glued/laminated into the sandwich of a roof assembly ? I am doubting there is a way but I am very curious what the dealers do because if one of our roofs had a serious leak it would pretty much total the rv wouldn't it ?

Old 05-25-2016, 12:39 AM   #52

My 2016 Forester 2701DS seems to have a great deal of caulk all around the perimeter of the roof with a coat of grey paint (full body paint). It appears good for now. But, that clearance light could be a point of entry for water and I definitely have to look into it further.

Skylillymd, your 2012 3171 ds being only 4 years old and having to do that kind of repair, YOURSELF is crazy. Tearing it down as you did is the only way to address the growing problem of mold. Good job. Did you order the ceiling fabric from FR or find it online?

2016 Camping 11 trips 33 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:45 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Stagecoachdriver, the marker lights on my 2801 are the same.
I have the same button style lights on mine. In troubleshooting an electrical issue I discovered these running lights with the loose bezel that wasn't flush with the cap. Totally counter intuitive in my mind to have such a large gap on the leading edge and so exposed to the weather. I promptly sealed mine as best I could. Reading all these threads about recently built coaches and leaking caps makes me think I might go and double check the roof and these button lights again.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:26 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeboone View Post
I have the same button style lights on mine. In troubleshooting an electrical issue I discovered these running lights with the loose bezel that wasn't flush with the cap. Totally counter intuitive in my mind to have such a large gap on the leading edge and so exposed to the weather. I promptly sealed mine as best I could. Reading all these threads about recently built coaches and leaking caps makes me think I might go and double check the roof and these button lights again.
Does the Bezel snap back or did you just use a clear caulk?
Old 05-25-2016, 01:33 AM   #55

I tried pressing on the bezel to see if it would sit flush but couldn't get it to move. I did get a couple of them to rotate, but refrained from too much movement to avoid breaking a seal I couldn't see and/or twisting the electrical too much. I used some clear exterior rv caulk of some sort. Don't recall precisely what it was, but tried to seal all the gaps around the bezel as best I could. I can now see a slight haze on the painted portion where I used my finger to push the caulk in. I try not to let my OCD self look up there too much. Besides a little cosmetic blemish is much better than a leak. From all the weather I've camped in and driven in I would certainly think if the water seal was compromised, I would know by now. But certainly going to keep an eye on it. There's also two low points on either side of the roof where it meets the cap, and I've been thinking of pooling some self leveling dicor there to prevent a puddle building up. Standing water on top of the roof is also counter intuitive.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:36 AM   #56

We lost a clearing light lens on a trip in January. The next day I didn't worry about it because I didn't think it mattered all that much. But we ran into a rain, sleet, snow squall in West Texas. It wasn't even that bad but water drops started coming out of the trim around the headliner within about 15 minutes. And it was directly below the light with the missing lens.

We had trouble finding the correct lens, but since we replaced the lens we've never had another drop of water in the RV.

Those clearance lights are perfect for leeks to develop. We "glued" all of ours on with clear silicone sealer.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:01 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
We lost a clearing light lens on a trip in January. The next day I didn't worry about it because I didn't think it mattered all that much. But we ran into a rain, sleet, snow squall in West Texas. It wasn't even that bad but water drops started coming out of the trim around the headliner within about 15 minutes. And it was directly below the light with the missing lens.

We had trouble finding the correct lens, but since we replaced the lens we've never had another drop of water in the RV.

Those clearance lights are perfect for leeks to develop. We "glued" all of ours on with clear silicone sealer.
Did you find an amber to replace the red one you found?
I may call the dealer and see if they have any sugestions or can order me one. I don't want them to remove it unless they know how. It's cheaper for me to order one online than to make 2 trips to the dealer and wait. Gas costs 3 times more than the light.
DukeBoone, I always use painter's tape when caulking to avoid that issue.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:09 AM   #58

Roof leak at front cap on 2016 3101ss

Here's what my problem looks like on the front cap. Hope the photo uploaded ok. First time just using the FR app on my iPhone.

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1464156387.126893.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  66.8 KB

Sage, don't know what to say about sealing the front marker lights. Will check mine tomorrow .
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:22 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
Here's what my problem looks like on the front cap. Hope the photo uploaded ok. First time just using the FR app on my iPhone.
Attachment 108954

Sage, don't know what to say about sealing the front marker lights. Will check mine tomorrow .
Ben, you have much more caulk on yours than I have. You know the weather and temperature could make a difference. Here in SoCal, we seldom have temperatures in the 30's or 40's and it's mostly in the 60-80's. Keeps the caulk soft and flexible. I still can put a foot print into it if I step on it. Can dig my fingers into too. Is your caulk rock hard?
You must have a filter setting on the camera. We both have the same paint job.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1757.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	108957  
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2016, 02:37 AM   #60

The caulk is not rock hard this time of year. Maybe during the winter.

2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, roo, roof