Old 05-25-2016, 02:33 PM   #71
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
I know little to nothing about the front cap to roof junction and the poorly designed/poorly installed sealant. It appears that there are several posts about water intrusion and water damage. Fortunately, I have not yet had this issue on my Forester MBS.

I do know that in home building, relying on sealant alone to keep out water is a recipe for leaks. So I can imagine, that in a moving, flexing home on wheels, sealants are not the best method.

We seem to be focusing on caulks and sealants to keep the water out. My question is this - since it seems likely that these methods are subject to failure, should we not also be looking at methods that let the water out? While that would not cure the failure, it might mitigate the damage caused when water inevitably does get in - and provide a visual indication that a failure had occurred.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Since I noticed my leak because of occasional dripping (from the lowest point of the cap) onto my windshield while parked downhill, I was thinking of drilling a small hole on the underside of the cap to facilitate draining and alerting me to a new leak. The only problem with that may be that rainwater can get in while driving. Maybe I could attach a small flap over it that's open to the rear.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:45 PM   #72

3/4" Led clearance lights

I called the website I posted earlier. The Led itself sits in a rubber grommet and the chrome ring is put on before installing and the Led itself holds it in. It's a very tight fit. So all I had to do was push the Led back into the rubber grommet for a very tight fit. I'm not caulking at this time. So Good News!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1758.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	108994  

2016 Camping 11 trips 33 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:46 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
I called the website I posted earlier. The Led itself sits in a rubber grommet and the chrome ring is put on before installing and the Led itself holds it in. It's a very tight fit. So all I had to do was push the Led back into the rubber grommet for a very tight fit. I'm not caulking at this time. So Good News!
That is good news and helpful information. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #74

Katana pilot - that's a good idea, I was thinking of putting some kind of closable cap maybe 1 inch in diameter on both bottom corners of the cap for inspection/drainage. I saw a guy do that in a fifth wheel with a see through 6 inch sight glass window lol - but seriously though it would alert you to the fact that there was a leak and mitigate a large amount of water damage if it got in.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:23 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylilymd View Post
Katana pilot - that's a good idea, I was thinking of putting some kind of closable cap maybe 1 inch in diameter on both bottom corners of the cap for inspection/drainage. I saw a guy do that in a fifth wheel with a see through 6 inch sight glass window lol - but seriously though it would alert you to the fact that there was a leak and mitigate a large amount of water damage if it got in.
Weep holes?
2016 Camping 11 trips 33 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:56 PM   #76

In a word, yes!

Quote:
Weep holes?
Something possibly more sophisticated, but maybe not. Simple is usually best.

Again, I have not had this failure yet on my MBS, but conceptually they are similar with a front cap and a junction at the roof that is sealed with Dicor or something similar. I've read the posts recommending Eternabond "as soon as you get your new RV home" and while I disagree that the owner should be put in the position of "fixing" their new RV's - given the lack of a proper response from FR, it might be prudent to do prior to having a front cap full of water.

It just seems like there are numerous penetrations through the roof, the front cap and the sidewalls - so water will eventually get in. Makes sense not to trap it there.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:58 PM   #77

Add me to the list! I custom ordered my Sunseeker and it was delayed by the Ford transmission problem. I finally received it in October, 2015.

I thought I got a "perfect" coach for the first time ever, and I've been RV'ing for 35+ years. I actually had NOTHING wrong with it, so I thought.

That was, until the first rain storm, which was a full fledged El Nino downpour when my coach was at the dealer getting a satellite dish installed. When I drove it out of the dealers, I was deluged with about 2 gallons of water.

To make a long story short, it took two trips to the dealer, 3 months of waiting, to get it fixed. The leak was between the front cap and the cab roof of the E450. The entertainment unit in the overhead, was completely ruined and warped requiring new furniture from the factory.

Now, no more leaks, but I will need to check the seam that everyone is talking about, and see if that needs preventative maintenance.

2016 Sunseeker 3050DS towing 2006 Hummer H3

WayneLee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:16 AM   #78

It's been a very rainy year since buying my 3051S and the only time I had water inside was when the old style oval clearance light lens popped off and I drove through a short rain storm. The rest of the time, even in massive South Texas 16" rain storms, the RV has been dry.

Is everyone positive that their leaks are not clearing light related?
Old 05-26-2016, 01:19 AM   #79

Quote:
Did you find an amber to replace the red one you found?
Nope. They don't exist. I'm using the two red lenses and having no problems.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:24 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylilymd View Post
Also about those clearance light lenses I had the same problem when I first bought my motorhome one of them popped out on the drive home they were made by a company called glo-brite and are no longer made - if you call Forest River they can no longer get them but Winnebago use the same ones and you can order from them...
They appear to be totally out of stock for good now. Winnebago shows them as unavailable. Same with all online parts dealers I found. I did find two of them in Red and have used them on my RV in place of missing amber lenses.

Tags
leak, roo, roof