Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #161

[QUOTE=bambam;1312427]Do you believe it is expected that the screws on the side of the roof be exposed (see attached pic)? My understanding is such everything should be covered... But again??

As for highlighting the roof issue to dealer -- yes but I thought it was not a big deal to take the RV apart! We also had another problem in the back corner (starts from the roof and goes along the side)... The coach spent three month at Camping World and that was not a pleasant experience. And I see the issue is happening again! I now believe it is caused by the plastic trim which slides in a track (used to hide the intersection between adjascent outside walls) shrinking and since it is attached at the bottom and top with screws it is causing pressure to build up and the paint to crack. This plastic insert is definitely cheap and should not have been screwed at the bottom, so it could slide. the same piece in the front (close to the cabin doors) lost close to one inch in the past three years and I had to remove the bottom screw to get it to slide freely.

So mainly looking for someone from the manufacturer to define what is expected and what is not... It is not normal that for a relatively new coach we figure it out by ourselves.[/QUOT i was on the fence about buying a forest river after reading all the roof trouble,your post just made up my mind i will not be buying a frost river, its time to restart my such.good luck with your roof
6thcav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:00 PM   #162

6thcav >>> Look for what's not visible, check behind the drawer underneath the fridge, remove the plastic door trim and see how the wires are routed! In ours we found all kind of junk (screws, wood chips plastic pieces and wires were just squeezed there with absolutely no attention) had to rewire these and adjust to avoid a problem in the future. Underneath the slide out (which by the way stopped working before the end of the first camping season - camper spent the first winter at the dealer) it was the same story! No wonder the mechanism broke with over two dozens of screws moving around. Bed very similar story there was no support in the middle, plywood is sitting on a two 2x2 laid in width with no support in the middle. Had to reinforce these. and so on....

Going back to the roof: we were sold on the fiberglass feature. BUT nobody mentioned that their design (using just a big sheet which is not molded in any way!) has the inherent flaw that they had to attach its edges. All the attachments are on the roof side and add a lip where water will accumulate... hence our trouble! My inlaws have a 1991 fleetwood (lower end) with a rubber roof and they only replaced it last year! In their case the water drained properly!

With all the above (an even more), we love our RV, we create priceless memories with the kids (have three under 5). I don't mind at all doing the adjustments, tweaks... But stuff like the roof and structural items... They need to get their act together.

Good luck reselling an RV with a detached roof! Good thing gravity holds it together :-)
bambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:10 PM   #163

No, those screws should have dicor dribbled generously over them. That is a factory error. Mine was the same way.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:25 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
No, those screws should have dicor dribbled generously over them. That is a factory error. Mine was the same way.
Thanks, makes sense... Sagecoachdriver also confirmed that the edge of his RV is covered with lots of dicor.

I am looking forward to Joshua Cavitt's response. He claims he has been proactive with other folks on the thread helping them solve their problems.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:46 PM   #165

I checked mine out during the PDI and it was nicely finished off, well caulked and painted.
Attached Images

2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:35 AM   #166
Class C Representative

Agreed, from the factory the roof should not be coming apart, that is correct.

Take it to your servicing dealer and have them reseal the areas you have an issue with. With any roof, fiberglass or TPO, whether it's Jayco, Thor, Winnebago, or us, you're going to have to check the seals. If you don't there is always the potential for issues like delamination or leaks.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:23 AM   #167

The screws in question are on the side edge roof molding, not the front or rear.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:14 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post

Take it to your servicing dealer and have them reseal the areas you have an issue with. With any roof, fiberglass or TPO, whether it's Jayco, Thor, Winnebago, or us, you're going to have to check the seals. If you don't there is always the potential for issues like delamination or leaks.
Hi Joshua - I do check the seals multiple times / year and I did spend LOTS of time inspecting the areas where the roof is coming apart. I even replaced all the caulking in the front (between the roof and the cap // I made sure to put a lot of caulking used at least 6 tubes of dicor) but this did not slow down the problem, even now I cannot see any location which might be problematic!

In addition to the front left side, I did notice last week that the roof is coming apart along the left edge in different areas (where the screws are visible and were not covered), width of the area where it is coming apart on edges is about 3 inches. Shall I work with Mike Jankowski on this? I also have another problem which was addressed under warranty which is happening again.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:30 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
The screws in question are on the side edge roof molding, not the front or rear.
That is correct and that area is coming off as well (just on the left side of the RV)
Old 09-13-2016, 07:30 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post

Also the RV is covered during winter months... October till May. So no snow, ice or rain build up on the roof during this period.

I trust Forest River takes care of their customers. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:38 AM   #171
Class C Representative

Mike Jankowski would be a good next step.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #172

Our unit leaked as well, around the front cap seam and the window above the passenger side door. The nose cap also has cracks in the fiberglass and I suspect one of the oval lights is leaking. The front cap looks somewhat twisted and water was being released on the bottom strip of the cap on the passenger side. I have used eternalbond all over the roof. My side roof screws were exposed without any dicor. I was just wondering if the person that mentioned the idea of someone sleeping in the cab over bunk is a common thread. I do sleep there and I weigh 195. Are others with this problem using the cab over bunk as sleeping quarters?
lexstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:39 PM   #173

I was using the cab as sleeping quarters but the two kids might have weighed 100 lbs combined! Should not advertise it as a bed if they don't mean it! Sticker says 400lbs maximum. We both had a long way to go.
Slinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:41 PM   #174

And Mike Jankowski and his department do not return phone calls! It's very frustrating as a consumer. Thought I was buying into a good company! Maybe they're all the same. Once they have your money they move on to the next one.
Slinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:36 PM   #175

Just put your head in the sand and use your motorhome

Hello all, I started this thread months ago. I've talked to Joshua and Mike and short of taking my motorhome back to the factory for months of questionable repairs I've decided to just use it. I've added more dicor to the problem areas to stop any more water from coming in. I inspect it every time we take it on a trip so far its held up ok. The inside particle board storage bins in the cab over have water damage. They have swelled up and the wood look coating has some cracks. But instead of screwing around with repairing their poor design issues i've decided to just use the damn thing for a few years and send it down the road. We have taken on the costs of storing it inside to prevent more leak damage. Our roof edges are loose by the wall. I talked to Mike J. about this and he said its designed that way to prevent cracking as the motorhome will flex going down the road. I don't trust any of these people any farther then I can throw them but this does make sense.
I think the way to look at class C motorhomes or maybe all motorhomes is that they are disposable. Use the crap out of them, have fun with your family, take your depreciation hit and move on to the next one. It's as expensive as heck but it's a fact. We used our Coachmen for 5 years put 50,000 miles on it, it started to show its age so we sold it. now we will get 4 years from this Forest River and sell it too. If I dwell on these poor design problems it defeats the purpose of owning a motorhome. There is a reason they don't put these things on a Diesel chassis, the camper part is shot before the chassis is even broken in. Just dope up the roof with dicor, store it inside if you can, inspect the roof regularly and use the snot out of it and make memories with your family.
theboyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #176

I think that is good advice.
13STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:37 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13STL View Post
I think that is good advice.
its not a good advice,why spend $80000 0n something that you have to hold together with bubble gum and glue to use it,i was really interested in buying 1 of these units but after reading 15+ pages of complaints ill go with jayco.and maybe you all should get together and call bbb,and maybe start a class action law suit,you are all here ,and they say strength is in numbers
6thcav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #178

You kind of missed my point. I did lots of research before I bought, and didn't see this as a problem. Knowing now what I know I would not buy another Forestriver product. Unfortunately I did and now I have to live with it. So why spend the next 2-3 years fighting a losing battle against a manufacture that doesn't care and getting upset when I can just use the damn thing educate some other people and move on. What's worse then spending $80,000 on a poorly designed motorhome is to spend $80,000 on a poorly designed motorhome and hate it because it's a nightmare of litigation, time, phone calls and heartache hating the damn thing every time you see it. As I said, stick your head in the sand use the damn thing have fun with the family and send it down the road. O and never buy anything from the manufacture again.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:37 PM   #179

Sad ! I should have kept my TT !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #180

I wish I would have kept my coachmen with a rubber roof, a way better design!!

Tags
forester, leak, roo, roof