Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #1

Roof penetration for cables

I will be installing a least one, maybe two flexible solar panels on the roof to maintain the batteries while in storage or not in use and also as an additional power source when we don't have access to shore power. (http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ns-124586.html) Additionally, when we move next year, I will probably be dumping the cable for my house and look to use satellite for tv reception. The satellite option will also allow me to use the subscription in my house in the RV for longer trips which means I may be looking at a dish that can be either mounted on the roof or or the ground in places where we might be under trees. The key here is that I'd like to create a centralized roof penetration point that can accommodate both the power cables for the panels and dish as well as a signal wire for the dish. Since the dish receiver will be in the cabinet above the door (see picture) and the batteries are in the steps right below it, it seems to make sense to go through the roof right above this cabinet and directly into it.

I think this all sounds good but I'm having some trouble deciding on what the best option is to penetrate the roof and install a small cable chase from the roof into the cabinet.

has anyone done something similar or have a good option they can suggest?

PS Being able to get blueprints for my 2016 3011 roof/sides would make this job a lot easier. Is that just wishful thinking?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160228_150748.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	128190  
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #2

I believe either Xantrex or Go Power Solar makes a double and triple roof port that would be ideal for your use.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #3

Well your rig is pre-wired for satellite. . That cubby above radio is a cable connection that terminates on your roof to another cable connection where satellite connects. The roof connection may be under Dicor possibly right in front of AC . As for solar easiest is to come down fridge vent all the way down to batteries.

2016 Forester GTS 2801QSF
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:48 PM   #4

Blueprints are wishful thinking indeed.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #5

Not solar, but satellite and wifi antenna. I suggest you first remove vent shrouds and ceiling lights in the area so that you can get a look at where wires and air vents are. I've successfully snaked through the attics of several trailers.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #6

I would talk both with the mfg and with RV solar companies, and get estimates from them all. You should be able to get them to explain how they intend to do the install. That would provide you with more information and a choice. You might even want to go to the factory and take a tour...you could also take some pictures.

That should help supplement what the experienced members are telling you and give you more options.

There may be some internet and youtube videos you can watch for install examples of other rigs as well.

Ask the installers if they have done an install on your specific rig.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
Well your rig is pre-wired for satellite. . That cubby above radio is a cable connection that terminates on your roof to another cable connection where satellite connects. The roof connection may be under Dicor possibly right in front of AC . As for solar easiest is to come down fridge vent all the way down to batteries.

RVHabit.com
SGT,

It would be nice if there actually was a satellite connection already on the roof but I have not seen any and the wiring schematic does not show any. (see attached) As for the solar, my panel is going to be in the front of the vehicle right above the cubby so it almost does not makes sense to run it half way back on my 3011 and then all the way back to where the batteries are when I can go straight down.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Satellite Connections.pdf (207.1 KB, 116 views)
Old 01-18-2017, 02:51 PM   #8

The wire that goes from the satellite on roof to the wall plate in schematics is installed at factory by FR. It terminates on the roof. A small length of wire from roof termination to satellite is needed. Some units its under dicor in front of AC and others a small box closer to front of rig. It may take some looking but its there. The picture of your rig in post shows the wall plate for satellite in that cubby above radio. It also shows the hdmi wall plate that goes from satellite receiver to your TV. Maybe someone with your particular model rig can tell us where on roof it comes out. satellite prewire is a standard feature.
I agree with you about running solar wire. You want it as short a run as possible. With that said you need to get it somewhere that wires can be hidden in rig and not exposed. that may not always be the most direct route.
I plan on doing both theses upgrades in spring. I have the 2801 and luckily my fridge is right next to the steps and batteries. Good luck let us now how it goes.

2016 Forester GTS 2801 QSF
Old 01-18-2017, 04:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
The wire that goes from the satellite on roof to the wall plate in schematics is installed at factory by FR. It terminates on the roof. A small length of wire from roof termination to satellite is needed. Some units its under dicor in front of AC and others a small box closer to front of rig. It may take some looking but its there. The picture of your rig in post shows the wall plate for satellite in that cubby above radio. It also shows the hdmi wall plate that goes from satellite receiver to your TV. Maybe someone with your particular model rig can tell us where on roof it comes out. satellite prewire is a standard feature.
I agree with you about running solar wire. You want it as short a run as possible. With that said you need to get it somewhere that wires can be hidden in rig and not exposed. that may not always be the most direct route.
I plan on doing both theses upgrades in spring. I have the 2801 and luckily my fridge is right next to the steps and batteries. Good luck let us now how it goes.

2016 Forester GTS 2801 QSF
RVHabit.com
Thanks for the feedback. I did see the standard option list included a satellite cable connection but did not think it also included the wiring to the roof which would be awesome if that is the case. So then the last page of my previous attachment showing the satellite hook up would be how's it's set up, now I just need to find the cable on the roof!

PS if my fridge was next to my steps I most certainly would look at using the vent. However, mine is back by the bedroom/shower which makes that option less desirable.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #10

Roof penetration

If you have a vent near your prefered location, you can drop the trim ring around the vent to see if there any wire chases nearby that you could use. If you can fish your wires through, you could exit up through the vent flange.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:07 PM   #11

I was wondering about a connection just in front of the air conditioner on our 2250; upon suggestions from helpful members on this board, we determined it was the violet coax for the satellite connection:

The other end:

We joked it was a schrader valve, and that to lighten the coach, all one had to do was fill the Schrader with helium.... Alas, upon removing the cap, it was not a Schrader valve. Darn it.

I've been looking for a path for our future solar as well; here's how I did it on the Four Winds:

The connector is a waterproof fitting for electrical boxes; it is screwed & glued into a cross member. That cross member was a 2" squarewall aluminum, containing wires for the overhead light.

More pics here: http://www.pbase.com/brucemac/2014solarpanels
Old 01-26-2017, 07:26 PM   #12

Great job brucemc. Thanks for the pics

Old 01-27-2017, 08:51 PM   #13
Chief tinkerer

Hello newrver. Our satellite connector looks like a Schrader valve coated in Dicor sitting at the fwd edge of our fwd vent up on top. I want to know if it can be used to pull a cable for my MaxAmp RV cell booster antenna, so hurry up and check it out.
Gary

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:55 PM   #14

Take the radio out. You can then see and reach the amtenna and sat cables that go through roof. I was just in mine to bypass the hdmi plate (because it has a light) to use the cable for a blu ray player. The existing hole can probably be used, even if you have to widen it a bit. That is my plan for cell booster cable... You can snake the wires past the radio and under the shelf with the flip up door. There is plenty of space. That gets you to the cabinet to the right which will get you to the floor. You can get to the batts by going out of batt box with the exisring cables, then up under the cabinet to meet the wires coming down. There is space on the lower cabinet for switches and gauges.
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:31 AM   #15
Chief tinkerer

Thx dp!

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 01-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Hello newrver. Our satellite connector looks like a Schrader valve coated in Dicor sitting at the fwd edge of our fwd vent up on top. I want to know if it can be used to pull a cable for my MaxAmp RV cell booster antenna, so hurry up and check it out.
Gary
G,

Since you have a 3010 you'll have the same situation as in my 3011. Right now my rig is at Camping World for the next few weeks getting the frig/freezer repaired otherwise I would be checking this out. And I'm pretty sure there will be a snowstorm when I got to pick it up. LOL.

RVr
Old 02-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #17
Chief tinkerer

Ok, 70's here tomorrow in our part of Georgia. Unless someone else has made plans that I am unaware of, I plan to head over to the storage lot, slip the inside trim off the fwd vent, ceiling speaker and pull the Jensen out of the over door cabinet and see if I can pull the cell booster antenna down along the path where the roof sat coax is run.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 02-11-2017, 08:50 PM   #18
Chief tinkerer

Done. Roof Sat cable is in a conduit, but the connector on the antenna cable was to large to fit. Was able to route it to the cabinet above the door anyway. Pictures in my album.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 02-12-2017, 06:32 AM   #19
Chief tinkerer

Name:	89F7B926-0116-4F80-A6A1-2F1C46636018.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	129630Click image for larger version

Name:	4B27EB80-D10D-4B1B-947A-9C2D838BA7C8.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	129631Click image for larger version

Name:	DBF2FFF9-DEC6-4CF9-9DFD-605DDD7A6F74.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	322.1 KB
ID:	129632
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	78B53FF9-E4D2-4F0C-A213-135972783DBF.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	129633  

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 05-01-2017, 07:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
G,

Since you have a 3010 you'll have the same situation as in my 3011. Right now my rig is at Camping World for the next few weeks getting the frig/freezer repaired otherwise I would be checking this out. And I'm pretty sure there will be a snowstorm when I got to pick it up. LOL.

RVr
I finally had a chance to look for the sat cable on the roof and found it just in front of the forward fan/vent. The soft ceilings are nice but you can't see where wires are run and and I really don't want to pull them down to look since I think they are glued to the ceiling. For the moment, I have some of the solar pieces, just need to get the panels and figure out the cable route. Since we are preparing for a 2 week trip out to Denver, most of my time is being spent getting the RV in shape for the trip so the solar project will have to wait a bit longer.

Tags
cable, roo, roof