Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2018, 02:11 PM   #1
Site Team

Roof run off on to door

A few months ago I read a comment about the roof water draining on to driver's door controls when the door is open on Forester E450. Can't find the thread now. Do any if you remember if someone found a solution for this? A/C condensation and rain water pour out the spout just above door. When door opens, it floods the power lock/window controls and soaks the driver getting in and out.

dcheatwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:26 PM   #2

I would consider putting an add-on to the downspout to redirect the runoff water either farther out, or to the front...

maybe something as easy as a short length of flexible plastic tubing with an inside diameter about the size of the drip spout, jammed onto the spout... then removed when driving. They have that type at the local hardware store.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:52 PM   #3

I added spouts to gutters on front of both passenger and driver side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3171.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	187602   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3170.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	187603   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3169.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	187604  
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:51 PM   #4

Good idea about extending drain with some plastic hose. Got some of that left over from the refrigerator drain mod so I’m going to give it a try. Meanwhile I’ll continue to just throw a thick towel over the top of the door extending down past the armrest and switches.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:20 PM   #5
2012 Solera

Two previous suggestions - apparently clipping a spring type clothespin to the end of the gutter spout results in the water running out to the end of the clothespin before coming down. Also, someone suggested cutting up a gallon milk jug handle to make a gutter spout extension.
I bought Camco (as I remember) extensions and glued on with GOOP. They have stayed on for four or more years so far - but the Camco extensions are a little short. I have to be careful how far I open the doors when it is raining.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:02 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Two previous suggestions - apparently clipping a spring type clothespin to the end of the gutter spout results in the water running out to the end of the clothespin before coming down. Also, someone suggested cutting up a gallon milk jug handle to make a gutter spout extension.
I bought Camco (as I remember) extensions and glued on with GOOP. They have stayed on for four or more years so far - but the Camco extensions are a little short. I have to be careful how far I open the doors when it is raining.
Some good suggestions here. My 3011ds came with down spouts already installed and a short extension will not make any difference. However, I've already thought about the tubbing over the spout. It'll take about 2 feet of tubing but may be best solution. I was hoping someone had already solved it and would give up the secret. 🤣

Old 09-27-2018, 09:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Some good suggestions here. My 3011ds came with down spouts already installed and a short extension will not make any difference. However, I've already thought about the tubbing over the spout. It'll take about 2 feet of tubing but may be best solution. I was hoping someone had already solved it and would give up the secret. 🤣
Other than the suggestions here I haven't found a better solution. I was surprised to learn that my original gutter spouts are flexible plastic so cleaning and gluing a plastic extension should work fine with the right adhesive.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:23 PM   #8

Added these gutter extensions to my Forester, now the water misses the inside of the door Get the long ones. Just took the screw out holding in the old one and slipped the new ones in place.

https://www.amazon.com/Gutter-Spout-...ter+extensions

2005 Forester 2901
2005 Scion XB
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:12 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerRalph View Post
Added these gutter extensions to my Forester, now the water misses the inside of the door Get the long ones. Just took the screw out holding in the old one and slipped the new ones in place.

https://www.amazon.com/Gutter-Spout-...ter+extensions
I'll have to check those out. Thanks.

Tags
door, forester, roo, roof