Old 12-03-2015, 10:15 PM   #1
rbg

RV batteries

Just bought a used 2007 forest river sun seeker motor home and wonder about the coast h batteries. They are dated January 2012. Seem to be holding charge but wonder if they should be replaced due to age?

Old 12-03-2015, 10:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbg View Post
Just bought a used 2007 forest river sun seeker motor home and wonder about the coast h batteries. They are dated January 2012. Seem to be holding charge but wonder if they should be replaced due to age?

If they were maintained they should be good for at least two more years. If you have access to a battery hydrometer and you can measure and compare cell readings. That will give you best idea of condition. No guarantee of course, just estimate.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
rbg

Thanks for reply will try to test batteries and go with them for a while
Old 12-29-2015, 01:18 AM   #4

RV batteries

Anyone having problems with their batteries holding a charge. Our batteries won't hold a charge over 5 days. We have since plugged in our unit for the winter. We have the 3171 that is only 6 months old. I have seen post on other threads that these batteries are interstate and have a full replacement warranty for anything under a year old. Going in for warranty work next week. Will see if I can get them replaced then.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:30 AM   #5
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
Anyone having problems with their batteries holding a charge. Our batteries won't hold a charge over 5 days. We have since plugged in our unit for the winter. We have the 3171 that is only 6 months old. I have seen post on other threads that these batteries are interstate and have a full replacement warranty for anything under a year old. Going in for warranty work next week. Will see if I can get them replaced then.
Did you have the RV plugged into shore power, during the 5 days?
If you didn't or didn't activate a battery disconnect switch, then the RV's parasitic power drains can easily deplete the batteries.

If you did have it plugged in, then you might have a bad converter.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:44 AM   #6

RV batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Did you have the RV plugged into shore power, during the 5 days?
If you didn't or didn't activate a battery disconnect switch, then the RV's parasitic power drains can easily deplete the batteries.

If you did have it plugged in, then you might have a bad converter.

Did not have it plugged in. Been playing this game with my batteries for the last month. Put a full charge I'm them and check them a week later. Always have disconnect off when RV just sitting by the house. After a week the batteries would be down to 1/3 and the detector would start beeping. That's how I found out we started having low battery. It has been getting real cold now and I can't get even 3 days out of them with everything off. That's why we finally plugged into shore power so they wouldn't freeze. Also, battery levels are good and no corrosion.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:18 AM   #7

Ben, I have a Xantrex battery monitor and it shows .1amp draw when the batteries are disconnected. I know that there are 2 extra positive cables on the coach batteries and are not disconnected. At .1amp per hour, that's 2.4 amps per day or 12 amps in 5 days.
Also, your batteries may have sulfation and statification and can't be fully charged. Can you remove them to a garage and test with a hydrometer? I have mentioned before that I had the same issue with my old Winnebago with 10 month old batteries. Had to undergo massive desulfation and equalization to get them back. According to the battery manufacturers, you need 14.8 daily to recharge. http://www.exide.com/Media/files/Dow...0%205_9_13.pdf
The Intelli-power converter charger only produces 14.4v max and only for 3 hours on boost. This is probably done to prevent boiling and having to add water all the time.
I read on the forum that FR uses Exide batteries but unbranded, not Interstate.
Last, batteries lose the amp capacity as the temperature drops.
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:34 AM   #8

Sage, thx for the info. You're right, I think they are exide not interstate. My mistake. I did look at the plates a month ago and they looked good then and were covered with acid. I have one of those harbor freight battery checkers that will put a load on them. After a good charge they would still get the needle near the bad zone and also after the charge the voltage would drop below 12 volts in less than an hour. Like I said in a previous post, I will be going in for warranty work soon and see what they say.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:35 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Why not leave it plugged in 24/7 ?
Old 12-29-2015, 10:14 AM   #10

I leave my 6 month old Forester in storage, not plugged in, with the disconnect off for a month at a time and do not have more than 1/3 battery drain. 5-Days sounds like you've got an issue.

Tags
battery