Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 08:40 PM   #1

RV Covers

Any Forester owners using an RV cover in a high wind winter environment? what do you use and how well does it hold up? I had an Adco cover ($400) on my trailer a few years ago, and after one winter, it had several holes in it, and also took a lot of polishing to undo the marks left from the cover beating on the side of the trailer all winter. Winds sometimes in excess of 40-50 mph. By the same token, I don't like the idea of 4-6 inches of snow sitting on the roof. Thus the age old question; to cover or not to cover. With shipping and tax, Adco suggests a custom cover for almost$1,000). Hmmmm.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:20 PM   #2

Can you build a windward wall? Your best bet. My experience was similar to yours, covers in windy open fields cause more damage than protection to the RV.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:48 PM   #3
WFD

I think you have just justified why to not cover...I live in an area that gets a lot of snow and it stays for months on end. The dealers have tons of trailers on the lot all winter...my own trailer sits outside in a storage lot all winter...no problem. I check up on it a few times over the winter and much to my surprise, not that much snow accumulates on the roof...I think the wind blows most of it off.
I give it a thorough washing in the spring, including the roof and it does just fine. Better than than the chaffing and damage you experienced.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:52 PM   #4

RV Covers

VinceU: That would be a big help, but MH sits in extra car space just beyond the path of the garage, at the vey edge of the property. No room for even a canopy, which the town won't let me put up anyhow. They require it to be 80 ft from the road.

Good to know, WFD, although the trailer had about 4 inches of snow sitting there for quite a while. My neighbor never covered his until last year when he had a leak. Fortunately, his was easy to find and repair.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:00 PM   #5

I'm struggling with the same thing - cover or no cover? I would not put a cover on it during the winter, and yes, we get a fair amount of snow, but it's easy to get off the roof if I'm worried.

We also get a lot of wind here, but it's that darn SUN that I worry about baking our new MH for at least 5 months a year... I'd like to have it covered during that stretch, but I worry about rub marks...??
BBogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:55 PM   #6
DW's 401(k) Plan

We store our rv under roof at a county owned building. Last year, we covered our Flagstaff trailer just so I could detect if our trailer was hit by by other trailers when the site employee was parking a unit next to ours. One year, we brought the trailer out of storage, and only when we went camping the first time that year, did we notice the one awning end had been hit and the cap broken.
Didn't get any snow on the roof and the units are packed in under the open sided building. Never saw any scuffing from the cover being wind-blown. Plus, last year we had a 27" snowfall. I don't like seeing that weight on a roof.
Yes, I plan to put a cover on the Sunseeker as soon as I sell the cover I had for the Flagstaff.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:37 PM   #7

If mine was under roof like that, I wouldn't waste 500 on a cover!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:43 PM   #8
MH Noob

I live in Utah and have similar weather patterns. I used the ADCO extreme this past winter and all was good. It has the TYVEK roof on it and wrap around body straps. Just make sure to get some tennis balls, you are going to want to cut sits in them and put them over any pointy bits.
Slimjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:49 AM   #9
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
If mine was under roof like that, I wouldn't waste 500 on a cover!
The intent was to have it covered while sitting in the driveway after we brought it out of winter storage. I've got some trees lining my driveway and they have a tendency to drop sap. However, it only sat in the driveway MAYBE 2 weeks before we brought home the Sunseeker.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 07-14-2016, 06:51 AM   #10
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimjc View Post
I live in Utah and have similar weather patterns. I used the ADCO extreme this past winter and all was good. It has the TYVEK roof on it and wrap around body straps. Just make sure to get some tennis balls, you are going to want to cut sits in them and put them over any pointy bits.
Or use some swimming pool noodles. One noodle can usually take care of all the downspouts and sharp points.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Tags
cover