Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2014, 07:33 AM   #1

RVing and being away from home...

We recently returned home from our first extended RV trip. From Arkansas to Yellowstone, Glacier, Albuquerque then back home. Intentions were to stay gone for a month. We were back home in three weeks and worn out. Were were really ready to come home after 2 weeks. Not sure what we are doing wrong. First I can't get my newly retired DH to settle down he wants to be on the go all the time and feels like it's wasted time just sitting around. (Retired Military then Retired Law Enforcement ) After we got home and rested a week he said he was ready to go again. Impossible since I still work. So I'm guessing this extended RVing is a learned life style. Any thoughts ??
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:57 AM   #2

Retired?

Get a sailboat, that way you can only go 5 knots....the amount of ground you covered would take me a year, and still might not be home....from sailing I know lots of type A folks that had powerboats and had to buy a sailboat to slow down....kind of a forced thing....you can start by driving 56=58 mph and 50-100 miles a day spend 2 nights in whatever place you are at and see America....good luck with lifestyle change.....some people can never truly retire.....you keep busy just by cooking and eating...time you go get firewood split it and burn it to coals along with preparing food and slow cooking/smoking and a bottle of wine it is almost midnight and where did the day go.....and on fish days, you have to catch it then get the firewood.....good luck with whatever you do......

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #3
Plain Old Member

It's definitely different. I can't sit still too much either. So, I walk a lot, and the rest of my spare time is spent inspecting, rearranging, modifying etc. We're on a "vacation" now just to get the "camping" experience back. Full timing is way different for sure as we may sit in one spot for months. I've found being somewhere too long makes me agitated, but yet we try not to move too much as that will wear you out. Gotta find that balance. It takes time to figure out what floats everybody's boat time wise, and length of stay wise. When we were weekending, we had it down to an art. 4 days was the minimum trip. Anything less wasn't worth it for us. Longest we'd stay somewhere was a week or so. Give it time, I think y'all will figure out what works.

Sent by ME
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote