Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2016, 08:08 AM   #1

Sat question, Forester 3011DS with front entertainment center

Was wondering if anyone has used the satellite hookup with a front entertainment center?

I have set an antenna on a tripod and ran the cable to the coax connection on the outside of the Forester. Moved the white wire (in the compartment over the door) to the "Sat In" on my receiver and then a cable from "out to TV" to the white wall plate.
TV shows "no signal." But, if I bring the outside cable thru a window and direct to the receiver (unhook white cable and put outside cable into "sat in") then I get signal and sat programming on the TV.

Can't figure out why outside connection doesn't seem to work. Oh and yes I have turned off the power antenna at the white wall plate and on the ceiling.

Neither outside coax connection (either side of the MH) seems to bring in sat signal. All of Forester brochures say they are cable/sat connections.

This is one of only two issues I've found (bought new last month) and love the MH. Will have dealer look at it first of next month but thought I'd ask.

Thanks and any info appreciated.

Everyone is good at something... I happen to be a good bad example.
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:20 AM   #2

It's possible the white coax is not the same as the antenna coax it is connected to or another possibility may be there is a splitter somewhere in the white coax and I believe the sat antenna does not like splitters in its path to the receiver. Splitters after the receiver is not a problem. Just a thought.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:18 AM   #3
Chief tinkerer

I had the same problem on Sunseeker 3010. Did this, works great. www.tv4rv.com › wiring

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:22 AM   #4
Chief tinkerer

It's under FAQ. "Can I use the existing cable input on my RV for satellite TV"

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 06-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
It's under FAQ. "Can I use the existing cable input on my RV for satellite TV"
I would like to read this FAQ but I can't find it by scanning or searching. Can you help me find it?

Thanks, Bob
fobagbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:26 PM   #6

Here's one of the discussions:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...up-110257.html

This is referring to an installation in a FR3, but probably is similar to your situation.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #7

In short, your Direct or DISH receiver has to have a HOME RUN cable run from the physical dish to the receiver. Run it in a window, drill a hole, OR many newer RV/TT's now figured this out and the existing cable IS a home run. But if not, it has to be.

Till then, you're barking at the moon for Satellite reception!

I spent 2 years worrying over this with last TT.

P.S.
ONLY use RG6, NOT RG59 for coax. Use as short a run as you can.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
Chief tinkerer

No problem. Hit the link, then menu, then FAQ, then scroll down until you get to "can I use the existing cable input on my RV for satellite TV". Click on the underlined "this article" and it downloads a .pdf for you to read.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 06-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
No problem. Hit the link, then menu, then FAQ, then scroll down until you get to "can I use the existing cable input on my RV for satellite TV". Click on the underlined "this article" and it downloads a .pdf for you to read.
Man, I am really feeling stupid here, what link do I hit first? I have tried everything I can click on and nothing looks like what you have described.
fobagbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #10
Chief tinkerer

No worries. I sent you a message.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 06-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #11

Giddyup, Can you send me the link also? Thanks, will be picking up my 3011DS as soon as they install the leveling system they forgot at the factory. I have looked at the satellite hookups and don't understand them. Thanks again.
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #12
Chief tinkerer

No problem. PM sent.
For those of you following along from home, it can also be found at the link in Post #3 above. When the link opens go to menu, then FAQ, then scroll down to the bottom where the question is "can I use my cable for Sat" is discussed. He has a link imbedded that downloads a file with pictures and an explanation. Sorry it is so hard to get to. Takes longer to find the article than it does to mod your plate, heh heh.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 08-16-2016, 10:14 PM   #13

Forester front entertainment center

We picked up our new Forester 3011DS in July and we had the same problem. The connector on the street side rear will only support park cable and not satellite because it has a splitter. There is an easy solution though. FR has prewired the roof for roof mounted satellite. The connection has a little rubber cap just in front of the front vent and ends in the service cabinet for the tv connections. There is a connection for hdmi.1 which goes to the tv and an electrical outlet there as well. ( The outlet is in the compartment below the shelf for the satellite receiver necessitating an exposed cord from one shelf to the other.) I connected a 12' coax to the satellite connection then drilled a 1/4" notch in the lip of a 2" slip cap to run the cable through and covered the connection with the cap, then through a 4' flat bottom raceway (bought at Lowes) over to the front arm of the awning. I pulled out the raceway covering the awning electrical,and shared the space with the coax, then replaced the raceway and insured the awning would operate ok. There is about 1' of cable at the bottom that I can connect my Tailgater to whenever I want satellite without having to crawl up on the roof every time and the business end of the coax tucks neatly into the raceway when not needed and remains hidden. I secured the raceway and cap at the top with Dicor so that the wind wouldn't get under it and it all works very nicely. It is hard to believe that the designers and engineers at FR don't know to provide a dedicated accesible satellite connection for those of us with Tailgaters. This was not an issue in my Keystone Raptor which was wired appropriately.
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
entertainment, forester