Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2017, 09:04 PM   #1

Schwintek slide won't go out in 2015 3171DS

The bunkhouse slide in our 3171 will not go out. When we press the slide out switch inside the coach, the slide out moves very little, maybe an inch or so. It moves on both sides. It seems like the motors turn on, work for just a bit, and then are shut off.

DH located the controller and checked the error code. There is one green light (followed by eight red). Is this the motor? Or wiring to the motor? Or an auto shutoff fuse? Something else?

DH sent Schwintek an email, but we are not expecting a response this weekend. He's also been poring over the forums and got a Schwintek troubleshooting manual online.

Any advice? We're hoping it is something he can fix because we don't want it sitting at CW for months!

Thanks.
Pixey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:11 PM   #2
Site Team

There are a number of YouTube videos on the Schwintek.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:18 PM   #3

Thanks. DH has watched those videos. He said they stop short of telling you what's wrong or how to fix it.

Is there a way to put the slide out manually?
Old 05-27-2017, 09:20 PM   #4

What is the battery state? Was the slide out out or in with a very low battery but is ok now. You may need to reset the control module.

http://www.amlrv.com/site/wp-content...l-override.pdf
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:48 PM   #5

Here are some Schwintek docs that may help

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:49 PM   #6

Thanks. DH says battery is fine. Slide is in and won't go out. All worked perfectly for a recent two-week trip. He has already tried the manual override, but based on the manual rockfordroo sent, DH says he probably didn't press the switch within 60 seconds, which means it wouldn't work. I think we'll try that again, but only when we are done using the MH this weekend. We don't want to get stuck at the dog show with our slide stuck out. It's perfectly usable for day trips with the slide in.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:03 PM   #7

Thanks for the manuals. We didn't have all of those!
Old 05-28-2017, 12:40 AM   #8

Sorry to hear about your problem on your slide. As you know, we have the same unit as yours and no problems yet. I will be watching to see how your slide issue is finally resolved.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:03 AM   #9

Great Info rockford !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:09 PM   #10
Navy Junior

I had a similar problem with my Schwintek slide. It would travel out about 6 inches and stop. Cutting to the solution, I found that the anti billowing arm on the slide topper was catching on the support arm. This engaged the topper clutch which wouldn't let the topper awning proceed out, ( it tightened up like drum top) thus holding the slide from moving. I cleared the arm and now watch for this on each roll out of the slide.
SunSeeker 3050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:29 AM   #11

Thanks for all the information. One of the motors needed to be replaced. We found a repair place that could fit us in today and we are picking up our MH tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:23 AM   #12
Navy Junior

Super!
Keep your eye on the symptoms. We've been thru a replacement of the forward motor, then a realignment of the entiore slide box in the first week of ownership. in the last couple more years we had entire harness replaced (tiny wires couldn't handle the current). Then the frame around the slide box had to be reworked (rivits and back plate installed for strength). Then I had the slide topper issue. Our slide is a full side slide so there is a lot of work required to drive that weight out.
All the work was covered under warenty by Forest River and work provided by Poulsbo RV. They are a number one team in my book.
SunSeeker 3050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:13 AM   #13

Have the same problem with the bedroom slide (2016 3011DS)going out about 2 inches and stopping. Just before it stops it cocks to one side. Seems like the motor closest to the rear of the RV is stopping first. I can then fully retract it. Looked at all the videos, which for the most part are fixes for slide stuck out, really didn't address my problem other than taking the motor out which is next to impossible when the slide is in. RV repair shop I use can't take it in for a few weeks. We have to cut our current trip short and cancel one we had reservations for later this month. Too many problems for a 2016 which is now out of warranty. This makes the 3rd trip we had to cut short because of various problems. And the 2nd one we had to cancel. FOREST RIVER, DOMETIC, LIPPERT, SCHWINTEK Getting too familiar with these organization for the wrong reasons.
Edrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrps View Post
Have the same problem with the bedroom slide (2016 3011DS)going out about 2 inches and stopping. Just before it stops it cocks to one side. Seems like the motor closest to the rear of the RV is stopping first. I can then fully retract it. Looked at all the videos, which for the most part are fixes for slide stuck out, really didn't address my problem other than taking the motor out which is next to impossible when the slide is in. RV repair shop I use can't take it in for a few weeks. We have to cut our current trip short and cancel one we had reservations for later this month. Too many problems for a 2016 which is now out of warranty. This makes the 3rd trip we had to cut short because of various problems. And the 2nd one we had to cancel. FOREST RIVER, DOMETIC, LIPPERT, SCHWINTEK Getting too familiar with these organization for the wrong reasons.
I have a 2016 3011DS and the bedroom slide broke on me last week. I feel your pain...

My slide motor works on the rear of the slide but just freewheels on the front. I can push it out and back in so I guess it's not too bad but sucks that we have to send it in to get fixed. Pretty sure it's not going to be cheap.

I had a converter go bad, water pump go bad, fridge is a total nightmare, and now the slide is broke. I don't mind things breaking but the stuff that is breaking is not because of mistreatment or anything like that. The wife and I take bets on what is going to break every time we get in it to go somewhere, it's sad.
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #15

Back to you on feelin the pain. I take mine in on Monday to a good shop. Unfortunately good shops can charge top dollar because there are so many bad ones out there. I guess I'll just have to suck it up. I guess we buy these things because we enjoy camping and travel so much.
Edrps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide