Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 12:51 AM   #1

Screen Door Mod Suggestions/Ideas

I am looking to make this screen door into a window panel door ... but removable window panels when I want only the screen door. Am I asking too much?? Is it possible? Thoughts? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3401.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	179167
WhittenRVFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:56 AM   #2

[emoji1312]note to above post, my hubby & I stink at DIY. We’d seriously tear up the door - and Lord knows what else - if someone suggest we “screw a piece of plastic paneling over it”... So, yeah. That’s not happening.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:57 AM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

There is this option:
Product Details | RV Door Buddy

or you can try to find a set of LCI vinyl panels. They came standard on my Cedar Creek.

In either case, you will have to install the retaining clips. If your KSA’s are not up to that I suggest you contact a good RV shop, not a dealer, and pay the man.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:20 AM   #4

Who/what are my KSA’s?!? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]🤪
Old 07-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
Empty Nesters

Knowledge, Skills and Abilities...KSA
Old 07-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhittenRVFun View Post
... but removable window panels when I want only the screen door. Am I asking too much?? Is it possible? Thoughts?

this may not be what you're looking for, but it won't hurt to consider it, we love these, ... we covered the screen doors with clear vinyl with the same thoughts, "what if we want to remove it", ... but after three yrs have not had a reason or desire to do so, ... most of our days are either winter or summer, plus we have windows with screens for ventilation if desired, ... end results is a full panel "storm door", ... we love being able to have the doors(2 doors, did both) open for the light, plus viewing, without losing heat or cool, ... link below is to the thread about this idea and with more details and pics, ....

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...or-121086.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0474.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	179225   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0475.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	179226  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:56 PM   #7

I bought plexiglass and cut to size. Installed with industrial strength Velcro to the inside of the screen door leaving the screen in place. The bottom stays always as the dog will put his paws on it and would damage the screen. The upper piece comes on/off with the weather.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:05 PM   #8

I went to Lowes with measurement of door panels and had them cut plexiglass to fit. They gave me the small piece for cheap from a leftover piece they had. I had to trim the rounded corners of the top section. There is a channel on 3 sides around screen and the plexiglass slides into that lip and I can take out if needed. I don't think I have take out as of yet. I am thinking of installing a clip to hold in the 4th side where there is not a channel. Good Luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

I did Lexan for the top and bottom sections of the screen door about 6 years ago and they’re still doing a great job. Furnace or air conditioners on.....doesn’t matter. Now we leave the main door open sun up to sun down....giving us floor to ceiling uninterrupted view outdoors.

There’s enough other windows in our rig with screening if we want fresh air circulating throughout.....never have removed the Lexan all this time except for occasional cleaning. They’re in place and have stayed in place with these

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.f...000735179.html

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:47 PM   #10

I purchased Lexan to make the clear covers for the doors on my TT but just need someone to help me with the cutting part! I know I will love having the covers on the doors as well as I really like to have the outer doors open but the weather in MI is such that its either hot or chilly so don't want just screens in the doors.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:45 PM   #11
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittlecat View Post
I purchased Lexan to make the clear covers for the doors on my TT but just need someone to help me with the cutting part! I know I will love having the covers on the doors as well as I really like to have the outer doors open but the weather in MI is such that its either hot or chilly so don't want just screens in the doors.
If you purchase your sheet of Lexan from Lowes and take in the measurements they will cut your sections for free. If your screen door has upper rounded corners you can do those round edge cuts yourself with the $5 scoring tool also sold by Lowes in same dept.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhittenRVFun View Post
I am looking to make this screen door into a window panel door ... but removable window panels when I want only the screen door. Am I asking too much?? Is it possible? Thoughts? Attachment 179167
Did you look at Slim Shade RV Door Window?

I noticed your current window is frosted privacy glass. Slim Shade allows you to see out & gives you a blackout shade at night. You can also see who is at the door.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #13

We did the same thing as Capt John. We have the plastic bottom screwed in because of the cats. On the top, we Velcro the plastic on. But we haven't taken the Velcro off except to clean
pamMJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
this may not be what you're looking for, but it won't hurt to consider it, we love these, ... we covered the screen doors with clear vinyl with the same thoughts, "what if we want to remove it", ... but after three yrs have not had a reason or desire to do so, ... most of our days are either winter or summer, plus we have windows with screens for ventilation if desired, ... end results is a full panel "storm door", ... we love being able to have the doors(2 doors, did both) open for the light, plus viewing, without losing heat or cool, ... link below is to the thread about this idea and with more details and pics, ....

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...or-121086.html

Love!
Old 07-17-2018, 01:17 AM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
If you purchase your sheet of Lexan from Lowes and take in the measurements they will cut your sections for free. If your screen door has upper rounded corners you can do those round edge cuts yourself with the $5 scoring tool also sold by Lowes in same dept.
You can cut the Lexan with a sabre saw, band saw or table saw.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #16
Just as confused as you

As Old Coot said you can cut Lexan with a sabre saw, band saw, or table saw. I have cut several 1/4 inch lexan panels for bullet proof windows for a car shredder. The best way I found for rounded corners is a variable speed sabre saw (jig saw) with a fine tooth blade for wood veneer panel.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:02 PM   #17

Cutting Lexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittlecat View Post
You can cut them with a skill saw (straight edges) and an electric jigsaw (curves).

But a better way is to take a sketch with measurements and the Lexan to a local plastic sign shop to have them cut. They have precision equipment.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #18
Phat Phrog

I just bought two sheets of Plexiglass, to cut and put in the screen door!!! Sooooo excited!!!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:35 AM   #19
Kanadian Kamper

RVChick......

Plexiglass or Lexan?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:11 PM   #20

We did ours two years ago with full sheet of plexi

Wonderful mod - love being able to keep big door open and heat/cool in - our fur baby choco lab likes to watch the world from the door also !
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, forester