Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2017, 08:28 AM   #1

Second AC 2017 3011DS

Was wondering if anyone has installed a second roof top AC on your 3011 and what did you do for the install?
hawgwld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:22 PM   #2

I think generally this is not a good idea for a lot of reasons, additional weight being one of them. Unless you live in the Hot southeast/west it is probably best to do all that you can to keep the inside cool first and there are a lot of tricks posted throughout the forum that can help with that.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:21 PM   #3

We just added a second unit in our 2800. We checked with Forest River first and was told the roof could handle the weight with no problem. Added the 2nd a/c in the existing roof vent. We are a 30 amp motor home so we had it wired completely independent from the camper. Using adaptors, we plug the a/c into either the 50 amp or 20 amp at the campsite.
pcryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:14 PM   #4
Citrus County, Fl.

Can you tell me what it cost, what brand you used and do you have a separate receptacle like is used for the motor home.

We are heading out Tuesday and the first couple of afternoons will be in the 90's and little to no shade so I will see how my mods work.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:33 PM   #5

$1400, non-ducted Dometic 13.5k Penquin (low profile) so it would match our other one, and yes, receptacle same as on camper and looks like it came from factory 😀 Had a local dealer do the install complete with a 20 amp breaker.
pcryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Can you tell me what it cost, what brand you used and do you have a separate receptacle like is used for the motor home.

We are heading out Tuesday and the first couple of afternoons will be in the 90's and little to no shade so I will see how my mods work.

Good morning GL. What type of mods did you do. I'm a little gun shy on the AC issue. I'm on my 3rd AC on my 2016 3011DS. Fortunately all covered on warranty. 1st Forest River, 2nd Dometic. It was wonderful being at the beach in 90 degree FL weather last time. [emoji36]. Thinking about doing the the 2nd AC to stay cooler and as a backup.
Edrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:54 AM   #7
Citrus County, Fl.

Here is what I havedone so far: 1) Camco insulated chains for the vents 2) roll of reflectix currently on the back window. 3) Burdens 3/4 inch craft boards from wal mart for the over cab windows. 4) HEATSHIELD reflective panels for the inside cab windows.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
I think generally this is not a good idea for a lot of reasons, additional weight being one of them. Unless you live in the Hot southeast/west it is probably best to do all that you can to keep the inside cool first and there are a lot of tricks posted throughout the forum that can help with that.
X2 on the weight.
We live in the hot southeast and I'm trying other methods to block the heat before I go the second AC unit route.

It wouldn't be easy deciding what items of equivalent weight to leave at home with our very limited cargo carrying capacity.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:46 AM   #9

Do any of you use the indoor portable ACs? Seems like they would work great in a camper and less expensive than another top unit.
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:03 AM   #10

We have some friends with a 30 ft TT that have a free standing 10,000 BTU that they use as added cooling when needed here in El Paso. They vent out a window and us a separate plug in to the power box. Works great! Weight 41 lbs.
TheKelsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKelsos View Post
We have some friends with a 30 ft TT that have a free standing 10,000 BTU that they use as added cooling when needed here in El Paso. They vent out a window and us a separate plug in to the power box. Works great! Weight 41 lbs.

Do you know what brand the unit is? Lots of them out there with mixed reviews. I've been considering one of these. I haven't found one yet with a very good track record according to the reviews. Also it looks like it would be more difficult venting on a Motorhomes vs a TT.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:20 AM   #12

Ill ask the brand... I think it was a Haier. What they did was cut a piece of Celotex so that it fit in the window and cut a hole for the hose. It works great. I highly suggest that you by the AC from someplace that will give you 14-30 day return policy. Hook it up in your home, like a spare room(shut your AC vents) and set it loose...See how it works.

I'll post the brand this afternoon after I talk to them
TheKelsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKelsos View Post
Ill ask the brand... I think it was a Haier. What they did was cut a piece of Celotex so that it fit in the window and cut a hole for the hose. It works great. I highly suggest that you by the AC from someplace that will give you 14-30 day return policy. Hook it up in your home, like a spare room(shut your AC vents) and set it loose...See how it works.

I'll post the brand this afternoon after I talk to them

Thank you. Good ideas.