Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #1

Serta (Sertapedic Blackhawk) mattress

Our 2015 Forest River Forester 3011 DS is equipped with an upgraded Sertapedic mattress.

Since we have not used our RV very much until this year, we noticed some sleep discomfort related to the mattress and thought that it was going to get better with use. After using it for more than 3 consecutive weeks this summer we found-out that the discomfort was getting worse, not better. The discomfort comes from the fact that the center of the mattress is much softer than the sides, hence the body has a tendency to role towards the middle of the mattress. Even when sleeping on our backs, the shoulder located towards the center of the matrass is lower than the one closest to the outside of the mattress. We started to compare our sleeping experience as sleeping on a rectangular doughnut. We have to say that this mattress is the most uncomfortable mattress we have ever experienced. Also when getting out of bed one feels like one has to climb out of it; not a good thing!

Given Serta’s publicity that focuses on how comfortable this matrass should be, which played a role in the purchase of this RV, we can only deduct that there is a fundamental fabrication defect impacting this particular mattress. We have therefore written to West Side Furniture, who looks after the warranty for Forest River sold Serta mattresses and explained the situation. We were told that they are ready to replace the mattress even though the 1 year warranty has expired but that we would have to pay shipping fees to Canada ($450.00US) + duties & applicable import taxes.

As West Side Furniture is a third party, I took my concern to Serta-Simmons Canada as the warranty brochure stapled on the mattress had their telephone number for warranty service. I contacted them in an attempt to have the replacement originate from the Canadian branch of Serta so as to reduce the shipping charges or even pick-it-up myself. I was told by their manager that they could not help me and could not give me any contact information at the Serta US manufacturer either.

Has anyone in Canada experienced similar problems with their Serta Sertapedic Blackhawk mattress? How was it resolved? Who should I contact?

We are literally loosing sleep over this!
MichelTremblay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:05 PM   #2

Yes we have the same mattress but our gets high in the middle and low on the out side and we fall out of bed. We are looking for a new mattress now . Did you get anything resolved with yours?
joel ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #3

Serta (Sertapedic Blackhawk) mattress

Hi Joel,

Thank you for the information,

Unfortunately not.
Everyone on the manufacturer side gave us the 'runaround' until we reached a dead-end. The third party recognized the defect and was ready to replace but not to pay shipping or import duty at the border. The cost of shipping alone was over $400.00 U.S.. It is somewhat sad that Forest River did not jump in to cover these charges or take it upon themselves to ship to the dealer 'Cite Caravanne' that we use for the service.

All that to say that we will be looking for a new mattress early this spring.

Please keep us informed on your findings.

Regards,

Michel.
MichelTremblay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:41 PM   #4

We replaced our Serta mattress. It too was high with soft sides. I blamed it on the foundation. I had 4" per side unsupported. We purchased a mattress from mattressInsider.com and are very happy. We ordered it narrower by 4" so we only have a 2" overhang per side.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelTremblay View Post
Hi Joel,

Thank you for the information,

Unfortunately not.
Everyone on the manufacturer side gave us the 'runaround' until we reached a dead-end. The third party recognized the defect and was ready to replace but not to pay shipping or import duty at the border. The cost of shipping alone was over $400.00 U.S.. It is somewhat sad that Forest River did not jump in to cover these charges or take it upon themselves to ship to the dealer 'Cite Caravanne' that we use for the service.

All that to say that we will be looking for a new mattress early this spring.

Please keep us informed on your findings.

Regards,

Michel.
If they are going to replace your mattress under warranty...why not just drive to the US and pick it up, save the $400 and also get a road trip in the process?
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #6

I also have the serta mattress, though a different model. I regret that I recently pulled off the tag and can't remember the specific model name.

Mine is just three months old and was initially very comfortable but sags terribly in the center. We end up rolling up against each other and being stuck in the center valley.

I had assumed I would just need to purchase one myself and hadn't even thought of the warranty. Thanks for the idea.
jessa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessa82 View Post
I also have the serta mattress, though a different model. I regret that I recently pulled off the tag and can't remember the specific model name.
That's why pulling the tag off your mattress is unlawful! [emoji6] [emoji6]
Old 02-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #8

We have the same problem high in the middle and soft/lower on the sides. Getting ready to replace it but have not found a suitable replacement, Not going to order one untested for comfort and firmness.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:41 PM   #9

Depending on how it all works out with the warranty....check out Zinus memory foam.

Replaced ours in our 3051 with one of those. They even have an rv queen which is what we got.

Loved it so much we replaced our master and guest bedroom in the S&B with the same brand just thicker since full queen.

Just our experience but sleep great camping and at home now.

Paid less for all three combined than the one we replaced in our master bedroom in the house.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:08 PM   #10

On this same topic, I decided to rotate the mattress to hopefully get a little more comfortable while shopping for a new one. Was horrified to find the underside SOAKING wet with little spots of black mold forming and rust spots where it sat on the hinges.

The RV is only 3 months old. The mattress has apparently been acting as a very effective sponge to absorb condensation from the wall.

This makes perfect sense of course, but I had never heard that I needed to keep it from touching the wall. Now I know, and you do too.....

Anyway the mattress went straight to the dump and I ordered a Tuft & Needle from their showroom. Will update you with how that works when I receive it in a few days.

Oh and I also had to replace the platform portion of the bed base, which was made of MDF and which had absorbed quite a bit of water as well. Now it's 3/4 sanded pine plywood.

Still working out a plan for keeping the plywood dry. I'm going to attach a few short lengths of PVC pipe to the wall to keep the mattress away from it and hope that air flow will keep the wood dry too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180211_173750.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	162292Click image for larger version

Name:	20180211_184315.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	162293
Old 02-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #11
Site Team

The moisture you are seeing is coming from your body, It penetrates the mattress and condenses on the cold wooden surface. A few things I did to eliminate the problem. I put a 1/2" sheet of building foam board under the mattress, This keeps the moist mattress from being in contact with the cold bed deck. For the head I use a pool noodle between the wall and the mattress when it is cold.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:22 PM   #12

Thanks, the foam board is a good idea. I'm in the pacific northwest so there is condensation and water coming from everywhere! 😆

I just got a larger dehumidifier and that seems to be keeping all the walls and windows dry. Wish I'd done it sooner.

Tags
black