Old 11-26-2017, 06:43 PM   #1
Road Trippin

Side strip under cab

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Back in the 90s I had this happen to a class C that I had but the whole RV was white so I just pulled it off and it looked fine. Now I have a 2017 Forrest River Forrester with the custom paint and it's doing it too. I've gone through three trailers since my old class C and completely forgot about this problem.

The issue now is I have a custom paint job on the RV. It isn't just the standard white. It's also not painted to match under the strip, it is the standard white, so pulling it off would look stupid. Has this happened to anyone else? If so what did you do? Does anyone know if this strip can be ordered to match the RV? Click image for larger version

Name:	1511743616211.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	157250

pismolocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:51 AM   #2
Head Rambler

Looks like it's slid down in the channel. I'd try heating the strip up a little and then working from the bottom up; slid the trim up in the channel until it mates in the channel again. You may need to remove a screw at the bottom to slid it up.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:02 PM   #3

Just recently noticed the same problem on my 2016 3011 with full paint. I agree that if my unit where not painted this would be not be much of an issue. However, if I remove the screw and move the plastic up, now all the paint lines will be well out of alignment. It seems that maybe this has been an issue for quite some time on class C units. If that is the case, I find it hard to believe that they would not use another material that is less likely to shrink especially on units that have full paint. ???
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #4

PS. I assume the plastic shrinks due to UV rays?
Old 11-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #5

Bama is correct. The strip on my '16 3051 did the same thing. I warmed the vertical portion of the strip with a heat gun. Then stretched it and put it back in place. (I applied some Eternabond in several places on the back side, to keep it from moving again). You can then line up the paint lines and hold it in place with masking tape until the Eternabond cures.
dancort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #6

It shrinks from the heat. It happened to me and I bought a roll on line, was cheap and easy to do but of course it was white. I guess the only thing you can do is buy it in white and cut to size and spray paint as close to the color you need.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #7

Assuming I can get the plastic strip back in place. Would using two screws up near the corner (one on vertical side and the other on horizontal) prevent this from happening again?
Old 11-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #8

Mine had 2 screws, one at the top front and one at the bottom and the strip just pushes into the channel, and parts of it may need a gentle push with a screw driver, very easy,
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:13 PM   #9

Happened to us on our 2016. First we removed screw and repositioned the piece. Paint lines did not match up. Within a month it came out again at the curve. Since it has shrunk it left a portion at the bottom uncovered. We purchased a large roll from ebay. They have it in multiple colors. We bought a cream color as it matched the lightest color on our rv. It worked perfectly. Its been over a year and no shrinkage. But a product made for marine use and made in the USA as it's a better product. I got over the fact that it didn't match the paint lines.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:23 PM   #10

Sorry, had to laugh trying to imagine what a side strip would look like under a cab... hoho.

Barb RPod CA is offline   Reply With Quote