Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2016, 04:29 PM   #1

Skid Wheels for 3051S

Hi...We are so excited that we purchased our first motorhome. We have a 2017 3051S on order and plan to pick up within the next month. I am getting a little worried after reading about problems with dragging due to the long rear overhang and the low generator exhaust. We have a fairly steep driveway that we will try to back up at an angle. I am afraid that we will still scrape. Has anyone had any luck with the skid wheels that attach to the tow hitch?
Thanks for any help!

Jill (13STL)
13STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #2

I put a set on our 2861DS as I scrape backing into our driveway and the skids on the tow hitch were starting to wear through. I got the metal wheel bolt-on type from Amazon and they work great. I don't have to worry about damaging the tow hitch/skids. It still drags but is rolling on the metal wheels now. Sure at some point they will have to be replaced but much less cheaper than tow hitch.
HopHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. Did you install the metal wheels that bolt onto the tow hitch? Do you have any idea approximately what size they are?

Jill (13STL)
13STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:56 PM   #4

I got the bolt-on ones that go direct to the tow hitch 2" tubing. I believe I got the 4" but you would need to measure to see what size you would need. There was slop when bolted on so I had to put spacers on the side and also on the bottom to get the right height and tightness around the tow hitch.
HopHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:10 PM   #5

Hey 13STL Congrats on the new 3051s you are going to love it!! I have a 2014 model and have not yet dragged the rear end, and as far as the gen set exhaust you will have to hit a LOT !! of other stuff before you drag it. You can always air up the air bags to raise the rear end if the driveway is close to the hitch , I would try that before adding wheelly wheels.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:28 AM   #6

My 2015 appears to have drag guards under the frame already

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #7

This was my solution to the draggin' rear of our 27' 2000 Four Winds:

Installed:

It took care of the vast majority of road to motorhome "interference". The angle brackets still dragged occasionally but they didn't take near the beating after installing the roller.

I built this from a purchased roller and a section of an old ball mount. I had the roller hanging under the receiver & attached with the hitch pin for a while, it was always dragging, and twice I buried it when backing - the first time was in gravel, and it high centered us - I dug in the hard compacted gravel for several minutes, then finally worked it free. The second time was in a dirt bank, and had to have a little assist from a Toyota pickup. (Just a little tug was all I needed)
After those two experiences, I decided it was time to build something that wouldn't act as an anchor.

The MH originally had a pair of caster wheels on the hitch, but one had been hit hard enough to bend the base & eject most of the bearings. Casters are not designed for hard impacts, though they sell them for this application.

Let us know what you decide on, and how it works for you.

Tags
305, wheel