Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2015, 12:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiniii View Post
I love my coach, but the slide is definitely under engineered (if that is a word). It is now 14 weeks in the shop, not the dealers fault, Lippert can't figure out what the correct PN to send to the dealer. Really rather hilarious, four months to fix a slide problem. Sure glad I wasn't planning to go south this winter. Again, not the dealer fault, Forest River owns some of it, but definitely Lippert doesn't have their sh*t together.
Forest River has stepped up, problem happened one week out of warranty, they found a dealer that doesn't sell Foresters and arranged service. I have no problem with Forest River and the dealer (A & S RV). The whole problem is with Lippert.
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Workin on my Curmudgeon badge
rapiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #22
Commercial Member

Quote:
Forest River has stepped up, problem happened one week out of warranty, they found a dealer that doesn't sell Foresters and arranged service. I have no problem with Forest River and the dealer (A & S RV). The whole problem is with Lippert.
Yes, as you may know part of that was our fault, I think we had the wrong part number to start with. When Lippert moved to the new facility everything changed. On the bright side, they should be much better going forward.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #23

And the beat goes on. 16 weeks and still no resolution. Hard to believe, hope to get my unit back in time to wintize for next year.
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Old 03-30-2015, 06:20 PM   #24

Hopefully I can make it to Goshen, but not likely. Seeing it's 16 weeks, I doubt that other 10 weeks will make any difference.
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Old 04-01-2015, 04:55 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Ignore that PM rapine. I found your dealer from this thread. Although the dealer is working directly with Lippert, I've asked our warranty manager to go to bat.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Ignore that PM rapine. I found your dealer from this thread. Although the dealer is working directly with Lippert, I've asked our warranty manager to go to bat.
Thanks Brian, I appreciate your help.
Ed
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Old 04-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #27

I have a question for Mr. Clemens.

On my 3051S the slide distance between the gear rack and edge of the slide columns are out of spec.
The front column needs to be moved towards the front of the RV at least 1/8" to be within spec. It also needs to be replaced due to broken teeth on the to gear track.
The rear gear track shows wear due to the column being out of spec by 1/8" plus (2 3/4" dimension from gear track to column. At least no broken teeth to date.
My question is how wide is the tube that the column is presently attached to? Is it wide enough to relocate the columns 1/8" in either direction?
When the columns are attached to the RV, is there enough space to the edge of the insulated panel so column can be moved away from the opening or does the siding need to be trimmed?
Is there a way to determine the size of the tube that the columns are fastened to?
Beachfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:09 PM   #28

Quote:

Brian, is this a common problem? I just ordered a 2016 3171DS. Hope Forest River has taken care of this by the time mine is built. Thx for answering my questions earlier today on the drivers side swivel seat.
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
Brian, is this a common problem? I just ordered a 2016 3171DS. Hope Forest River has taken care of this by the time mine is built. Thx for answering my questions earlier today on the drivers side swivel seat.
The problems we are having is with the full wall slide on the 3051s , the 3171d doesn't have a full wall slide does it?
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wana65stang View Post
The problems we are having is with the full wall slide on the 3051s , the 3171d doesn't have a full wall slide does it?
No, it has two slides, one on each side. We almost ordered the 3051, but with 4 grandkids now, we decided on the bunk model. Hate that single sink though.
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:56 PM   #31
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachfrog View Post
I have a question for Mr. Clemens.

On my 3051S the slide distance between the gear rack and edge of the slide columns are out of spec.
The front column needs to be moved towards the front of the RV at least 1/8" to be within spec. It also needs to be replaced due to broken teeth on the to gear track.
The rear gear track shows wear due to the column being out of spec by 1/8" plus (2 3/4" dimension from gear track to column. At least no broken teeth to date.
My question is how wide is the tube that the column is presently attached to? Is it wide enough to relocate the columns 1/8" in either direction?
When the columns are attached to the RV, is there enough space to the edge of the insulated panel so column can be moved away from the opening or does the siding need to be trimmed?
Is there a way to determine the size of the tube that the columns are fastened to?

Not sure I follow 100%, but if you mean the vertical tube on either end of the slide opening, that tube is pretty wide. Although trying to move a screw an 1/8" would be the bigger problem in aluminum tube.

The gear track could also show wear if the slide was not sync'd properly. Make sure the slide button is held down for a few seconds after sealing so the slides sync each time.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #32

bclemmens,
Thank you for reply.
Sorry for the confusion but yes I am talking about the vertical tube on either end of the slide opening. Can you tell me how wide the tube is? Pictures of tube before installation of the walls or a picture from inside when walls are in place would be very helpful to understand what can be done as a fix. The rear Schwintek column bracket needs to move 1/4" towards the front and into the opening. Also the front bracket needs to move 1/8" to 1/4" towards the front of the RV and away from the opening to be in spec.
To move the slide columns 1/4" would require drilling new holes in the existing Schwintek columns (bracket at edge of opening) above and below existing fastener locations to prevent fasteners from pulling out.
The other option would be to move entire slide 1/4" towards the front but I am not sure this is possible.
If the slide can be moved then, in my opinion, that would seem to be the best option. No drilling of Schwintek columns and no more holes in the aluminum tubes to weaken them and no messing up the paint (full body paint) are some of the advantages I see.
Your thoughts.
Beachfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:26 AM   #33

I have had problems with my slides for almost two years and just found the major problem. The slide does not ride on the side wheels under the channels, all spin freely and hold no weight. All the weight is on the floor rollers and it bucks and grinds and sways back and forth and it takes three people to get the thing in or out. One person on the button and two people pushing the slide out or pushing the slide in. motors do not seem powerful enough to move the slide, and now I (finally) know why, it drags on the floor wheels and the motor and gears are not lined up with the channels. Ripping off the weather fabric under the slide. My purchase 'Dealer' gave me excuse after excuse on why it is 'correct' and 'made that way' and would work itself in better. After de-winterizing it and having the same problem I took it to a Dealer I trust by my home and he said the wall framing need to be raised at least a half an inch in order to support the slide and and align the motors with the channels to work properly. The Dealer contacted Lippert about paying for the removal of the slide and putting the wall supports in the correct place. He took pictures and sent them off. We have had no response form Lippert yet.

I know all campers have some bugs, but some have more than others .If someone asked for a recommendation about buying a Forest River unit, I would not give them one and say buyer beware on any camper bought.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:43 AM   #34
Commercial Member

Appreciate the feedback, but as a side note, I just want to clarify that this thread is for the motorized division. We have nothing to do with the trailer side of things, that is a separate division.

So while the comment is applicable to a certain extent, as any feedback is, I want any reader to realize that its not apples to apples. For example, we use fiberglass on the bottom of the slide floor, not woven poly mat.

To put it in perspective it's like telling an F150 buyer "buyer beware" because I had issues with my Ford Festiva.

Again, it is all Forest River, so the comment stands, just clarifying for those that do not understand the divisional separation.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #35

Quote:
Appreciate the feedback, but as a side note, I just want to clarify that this thread is for the motorized division. We have nothing to do with the trailer side of things, that is a separate division.

So while the comment is applicable to a certain extend, as any feedback is, I want any reader to realize that its not apples to apples. For example, we use fiberglass on the bottom of the slide floor, not woven poly mat.

To put it in perspective it's like telling an F150 buyer "buyer beware" because I had issues with my Ford Festiva.

Again, it is all Forest River, so the comment stands, just clarifying for those that do not understand the divisional separation.

I posted because my ford festiva ie... cheap pull behind Forest River Hemisphere compared to a motorized f-150 (expensive paying customers we want) has massive alignment issues on the main large slide. The motorized (we are all one company) division would never have any type of alignment issues....I now assume?
So how can I get a fiberglass bottom on my festiva Hemisphere since the poly mat don't work very well in staying in one piece...?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #36
Commercial Member

I'm not sure I would say cheap...it's just a different price point and in that segment there are things that are standard across many mfg's (including the woven poly mat). There are actually some motorhome mfg's that use the woven mat.

We will have own own share of unique issues, so we can't assume that you will have no alignment issues...just that they will probably be different.

As for getting said fiberglass bottom, that would be something that you look for when purchasing. It's one of the things that we (motorized) pitch to look for when comparing us to other motorized mfg's. So even though Salem may not have it...there may be other Forest River trailer divisions that offer that in their segment. I have seen some people do the woven mat, but then put a metal strip where the rollers are. So that could potentially be added...but I'm guessing the slide room would need to be pulled out completely.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:13 AM   #37
Commercial Member

Quote:
Thanks Brian, I appreciate your help.
Ed
OK, not trying to throw anyone under the bus (I have always found the truth to be somewhere in the middle, so take this with a grain of salt).

We called the dealer. According to them, they have the motors they need and do not need anything else. They were supposedly received on Tuesday. Lippert confirmed that and states they never sent any wrong parts.

Regardless of what actually transpired, the parts are in and just need to be installed.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #38

Quote:
OK, not trying to throw anyone under the bus (I have always found the truth to be somewhere in the middle, so take this with a grain of salt).

We called the dealer. According to them, they have the motors they need and do not need anything else. They were supposedly received on Tuesday. Lippert confirmed that and states they never sent any wrong parts.

Regardless of what actually transpired, the parts are in and just need to be installed.
Just talked to the dealer, they received the correct slide brkt, and, supposedly, the correct motors will be delivered today.
Really don't know who or what to believe.
Warm weather is coming (maybe) and I'd sure love to have a MH to use.
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Old 04-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #39
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachfrog View Post
bclemmens,
Thank you for reply.
Sorry for the confusion but yes I am talking about the vertical tube on either end of the slide opening. Can you tell me how wide the tube is? Pictures of tube before installation of the walls or a picture from inside when walls are in place would be very helpful to understand what can be done as a fix. The rear Schwintek column bracket needs to move 1/4" towards the front and into the opening. Also the front bracket needs to move 1/8" to 1/4" towards the front of the RV and away from the opening to be in spec.
To move the slide columns 1/4" would require drilling new holes in the existing Schwintek columns (bracket at edge of opening) above and below existing fastener locations to prevent fasteners from pulling out.
The other option would be to move entire slide 1/4" towards the front but I am not sure this is possible.
If the slide can be moved then, in my opinion, that would seem to be the best option. No drilling of Schwintek columns and no more holes in the aluminum tubes to weaken them and no messing up the paint (full body paint) are some of the advantages I see.
Your thoughts.
That framing member is 3" wide.

Tags
slide, slide out