Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #1

Slide outs on the Forester 3171DS

One would think when the coach power is turned off you couldn't operate the slides. Tested that theory yesterday and found out the passenger side, no power to the slide but the drivers side slide still had power. Is this correct or was it wired wrong? Thx, Ben
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
One would think when the coach power is turned off you couldn't operate the slides. Tested that theory yesterday and found out the passenger side, no power to the slide but the drivers side slide still had power. Is this correct or was it wired wrong? Thx, Ben
Right or wrong, dunno... but for me neither slide with vehicle ignition and both slide with no ignition.
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Both slides along with the awning work and the generator will start with the coach battery switch in the off position in my 3120. I believe your batteries will charge with shore power and the switch off if you have the Progressive Dynamics converter. My converter is isolated with the switch off. The ignition switch position on my 3120 has no impact to slide operation.

There have been running changes over the years not neccesarily associated with model year change overs so you may find differences between a unit made right after or before yours.

If your equipment doesn't operate the way you want it to go ahead and change wiring or whatever you need to get it operating the way you want it to. My coach radio was connected to the chassis battery so I needed to have the ignition switch on or in the accessory position for it to operate. I ran a feed from the coach battery system to a selector switch in the dash so I can operate from either source. I also found that my water filter only filtered the water if I was using the onboard fresh water tank and the water would bypass the filter when using a city water hookup from a campsite. Since I want to filter water from a campsite water supply I replumbed the system to do all my water used whether it's from the onboard tank or city water.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
Both slides along with the awning work and the generator will start with the coach battery switch in the off position in my 3120. I believe your batteries will charge with shore power and the switch off if you have the Progressive Dynamics converter. My converter is isolated with the switch off. The ignition switch position on my 3120 has no impact to slide operation.

There have been running changes over the years not neccesarily associated with model year change overs so you may find differences between a unit made right after or before yours.
I do know the slides will work with charged batteries or when the generator is running but not when the Ford engine and the generator are both running together. Just curious that one slide will work with battery switch off and the other won't. No big deal otherwise.

Off subject. I saw a post regarding charging the coach batteries, so I did a test with a volt meter. The batteries in the off or on position will charge on shore power or when the Ford engine is running. One of the post I saw said you had to have the switch in the on position but not so on our 2016 3171.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:59 PM   #5

Quote:
I do know the slides will work with charged batteries or when the generator is running but not when the Ford engine and the generator are both running together. Just curious that one slide will work with battery switch off and the other won't. No big deal otherwise.

Off subject. I saw a post regarding charging the coach batteries, so I did a test with a volt meter. The batteries in the off or on position will charge on shore power or when the Ford engine is running. One of the post I saw said you had to have the switch in the on position but not so on our 2016 3171.
Your unit is correct in that it should have a PD converter and is direct wired to the batteries so switch can be off and the batteries will charge. Also it sounds like some safety interlocks were added since 2012 to prevent slide operation with the engine running. You may also have one on awning operation.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:16 PM   #6

Quote:

The slides typically have the safeties (preventing operation with ignition ON so on most late models the slide power does not go through the battery disconnect (as in the case of my 2014 model).

The charging circuit from either the converter or the chassis alternator (when running) the BIRD controls the charge to the coach batteries and the chassis battery - or so how it works on my 2014.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester, slide, slide out