Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2018, 05:49 PM   #21

I called it a Schwintech slide because that's what we were told it was. Another member here told us he believed we had a power gear slimrack system. In looking at that, it appears we do have a power gear slimrack and not a Schwintech.

Sorry, we weren't trying to be confusing for other folks. This whole slide issue is extremely frustrating.

We dropped our MH off Thursday morning as scheduled. When we dropped it off in the morning they told us a mechanic had called in sick one day and they were backed up and it would be a day or two. I called yesterday at 4:30 and they still had not got to it.

I am also in touch with Lippert Industries. They have sent me some info (they were very quick to respond) but at this point it's over my head. They want me to get back in touch with them once we get our MH back.

My main objective with Lippert is to try and find a way my wife and I can get the slide back in if/when it gets stuck again...

We can barely get to 1/2 of the motors, I'm not sure my wife and I can do much if it comes to accessing the motors. We will hopefully know more in a day or two...
Old 02-28-2018, 06:04 PM   #22

Thanks for the update Info! Yes I agree 1000% that to retract these type of slides is Total Crap,the MFG act as if it is "No Big Deal" to disengage the Motors for retraction then Place 2x4s or reattach the Motors for Travel! Not all Owners are capable or should be Expected to go through this! I am with you on this Problem! Regards,Youroo!!
Old 03-01-2018, 09:20 AM   #23
Commercial Member

The slide stoppage does not have to be a trip ender. 90% of the time, when I have seen issues with that slide out it is because it was attempted to be operated at a low voltage. Not saying that is the case, but that is normally what can wipe the slide stops.

This JUST happened over the weekend. Guy let his rig sit...batteries were dead. He plugged in and then ran the slides. Problem is the batteries had still not been charged up and so it threw a fault code. Slides would then not move after 3 hours of charging.

1. If you get a fault code (flashing lights). You can count the lights. # of red flashes is the fault. # green flashes is which motor. (1 or 2).

2. If there is a code...pull the switch. On the back side there is a button that says "clear fault/set stops". Push that for one second to clear the fault. Should work after that if you have proper voltages.

3. IF for some reason, it the code is "slide stops not set". Then you need to re-program the slides tops.

4. In this instance you would push and hold the "clear fault" button. This puts it into programing mode/emergecny over ride mode. You push motor 1 and motor 2 and IN on the slide to bring it in. Once it is all the way in, you can tweak the "in stop" by operating each motor independently. Once it is where you want it, you can set the IN stop.

5. So the same basic thing for the out stop.

All of this should be in the manual.

These slides are smarter than normal slides...and while they have their pros and cons...you don't have to be stuck waiting on a dealer in most cases. If a motor goes out, that's another story, but 90% of the cases I see its just the slide stops getting lost, or low voltage throwing some weird code.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #24

Thanks for that information, but one of the problems is it seems there are so many variations of slides/switches/panels. In the info you shared, it shows the clear fault button as well as the touchpad - we do not have this in our unit. We did get flashing lights and we did provide our local dealer with that info. As I "recall" it was 4 flashing red and 2 flashing green.

We have that damn MyRv panel "brain" on the wall that controls everything.

When we picked up our MH, again back in Michigan, I asked the dealer how to manually retract the slide should something happen - he (the guy tasked with giving us a crappy walk thru) told us you can't retract them. Then we hear another version that doesn't quite apply to what we have, and then yet another version.

For the life of me I don't understand why there can't be a simple method, easily outlined and illustrated, and better yet, demonstrated by a dealer, to show those of us that are NOT mechanically inclined, how to get the slide in and at least get home.

We previously had two in-truck Lance campers prior to getting our MH and while I know the campers are much simpler as a whole, we had zero problems with them (lol, neither had slides). We were not prepared for the need for mechanical skills to enjoy this chapter of our lives.

Don't get me wrong, there are always little things that go wrong and "we" fixed them, but this slide issue....
Old 03-02-2018, 12:35 AM   #25

Thanks to those of you who have tried to provide us with helpful info (bclemens thank you and I hope I didn’t come across UN appreciative-just very frustrated and worried)

We thought we were picking it up today but when we got there the mechanic wanted to keep it for a few more days to check some things. I WILL share the final outcome when we hopefully get it back Monday!

Fingers crossed!!
Old 03-02-2018, 08:27 AM   #26
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
Thanks to those of you who have tried to provide us with helpful info (bclemens thank you and I hope I didn’t come across UN appreciative-just very frustrated and worried)
No worries...I know how frustrating slides can be and wanted to help. But I've been removed from that division for 2 years now...and made the mistake of thinking I knew what was going on. I didn't realize they had taken out the hard switches when the "One Control" came in.

I would have to assume the same thing could be accomplished through that system...but again, that's me assuming. Hope things get figured out.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:11 AM   #27
Sunseeker 3010DS

I understand your frustration.I am somewhat mechanically inclined and have been able to fix nearly 100% of the problems that I have had over the past 40 + years of RVing. Of course some thing take some research and or manuales. If a representative of the dealer told me there was no way to retract the slide, I would take it to the manufacturer. I would demand a detailed instruction method. If fact after reading this thread, I just sent an email to FR asking for just that. I sent them my make model an VIN. I'll let you know what their response is. I thought I understood what I had and the method to retract or manually override, Now I'm questioning that.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention and please let us know what you find out. By the way, How did you get your slide in when you where stuck??
slamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #28

OK, don't shoot the messenger, I'm just going to tell you what we were told, which to some it will make sense and to others probably not (we fall into both categories)

As some have mentioned, batteries can be the issue. We never even considered that batteries that were 13 months old (at the first slide failure) could be bad and cause the issue. Well, the dealer said our batteries were totally shot!! (in researching MH house batteries failing so soon, it appears this is pretty common in the RV industry as they get shipped with crap batteries to begin with)

I asked them why bad batteries would matter for retracting the slide when we were connected to shore power?? They said that the switch/module that talks to and operates the slide operates from the house batteries???

The dealer was very backed up and we ended up waiting about 10 days after dropping it off (just got it back yesterday) so this is my first chance at sharing the outcome.

To be honest, we are both very leery if this is truly the problem (we HOPE it is the problem!!!) but if it is, and it's the reason the slide wouldn't retract, that is wonderful but still leaves us with the million dollar question:

HOW DO WE MANUALLY RETRACT it if/when it fails again? I am actually corresponding with someone from Lippert that is trying to help us with this problem.

If he shares something with me that I can actually understand, I will definitely share it. It's difficult for people who are mechanically inclined to understand how tough it is for the rest of us to understand; what makes perfect sense to others is totally Greek to the rest of us.

Anyway, that's what I know for now. We are leaving next Monday for a week of camping/fishing, where the slide will need to come in each morning so we can launch the boat.........
Old 03-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
I asked them why bad batteries would matter for retracting the slide when we were connected to shore power?? They said that the switch/module that talks to and operates the slide operates from the house batteries???..
I think Brian's answer to this question in post 23 above is actually the right answer. This one makes no sense.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:34 PM   #30

The part about batteries does make sense, but for a different reason. A battery acts like a shock absorber for electrical demand. When the switch is first engaged there is a greater demand for amperage than the converter can initially supply. The battery supplements the converter with the required amperage and assists the converter as it powers the slide in or out. The converter then replaces the expended amperage in the battery, getting ready for the next electrical demand. This is the reason the manufacturers recommend both converter and battery power for deploying the slides.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #31
Sunseeker 3010DS

I totally agree with Cedercreekwoody, I just had the same issue except the batteries were not shot. They were just low because my battery minder had inadvertently gotten unplugged and even though everything is off there are a couple of things that use power. Your gas detector is one that comes to mind. If you have lead acid batteries they should be serviced at least twice a year. At that time they can be tested with a hydrometer or load testing device and it can catch problems with batteries before they completely fail.

If all of this does not make sense to you. I suggest you find a good RV mechanic and take it to him a couple of times per year. Maybe get his cell number in the event something happens on the road. Fellow campers and this forum is another good source for tips and tricks. The good people on this forum have help me solve problems in minutes, that otherwise could have taken me hours of trouble shooting and or research. Good luck and don't let a issue like this stress you out. There are a lot of things I no nothing about. But I do know how to find out what I don't know most of the time anyway. Have a great trip and enjoy that RV
slamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #32

Thanks Slalmac, we are certainly getting back up on the horse so to speak... We are leaving next Monday morning for a week of camping/fishing, then home one week, and go again to a different lake for a week of camping/fishing.

The old batteries were the acid type; the new ones are "maintenance free". I just picked up a volt meter yesterday (never had one before or used one before - but we have friends going with us and he is a frigging MacGyver who told me he'll go over all that stuff with me since I helped him get set up for fishing!!)

Lippert told us to ALWAYS turn the battery switch to off when not using it. Other dealers have told us when not using it (like winter) two plug it in for 2 weeks, then unplug and turn off batteries for 2 weeks, repeat cycle.

Lippert also told us that keeping it plugged into 110 at home does not charge the batteries near as fast as 30 amp systems? Guess we can add the cost of getting more significant power to the RV shop (right now it's just an extension cord because we only use lights out there while cleaning it)

We are still worried, but we aren't quitting yet and with a nice stretch of non slide issues, the worrying will lesson!

Lippert actually called me today (they have been great) and they too assumed we had a SEPERTATE slide switch that apparently has an easy way to re-set if there is a slide fail. Finding out all we have is the myrv wall panel, he said the ONLY way to manually retract is to UN hook the springs from the motor (like we've tried both times) and to bump the motor up 1/2" (like we've tried both times with ZERO luck)

I did talk to him a bit about where to insert a screwdriver into that motor w/o breaking the motor but getting the motor to pop free and raise it the magic 1/2" so the motor can disengage and then "bodies" can move it back in!

Anyway, that's what I know - hope for a good trip next week!!! (we put about 12,000 miles on it the first 14 months or so we had it)
Old 03-07-2018, 08:55 PM   #33

one suggestion is that there may be some misinformation here - many of us may assume that the slide systems and motors work on 120v shore power, or generator, thru the converter.... but, LCI shows the Power Gear wiring direct to the batteries(link below).
I suggest that you view your slide power as only coming from the House batteries only, even when on shore power or the generator.

Slides are typically on 12v since you certainly need to be able to operate them regardless of whether you have shore power, or even generator power, or not. They then must rely solely on the voltage levels of the House batteries to function. If your House batteries are not at the needed voltage for their operation, you'll probably either see them move very slowly, or maybe not at all, and may also receive an 'error' code, or fault.

If the above is correct, and you turn your Inverter, Converter, and even the Charger OFF, you may find that there is still power to the slide motors.

Remember, also to make sure that your Charger is turned ON when on shore power or generator, so that the House batteries are getting the amount of charge they need to maintain power for these systems.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...g_81_1293_.pdf

just some thoughts.... let us know what you find out.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide