Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2018, 01:07 AM   #1

Slide stranded us AGAIN!

Well, for the second time in 6 months our power gear slim rack slide refused to come in basically stranding us. It happened 6 months ago in California (we live in Washington) for 6 hours before it suddenly worked and we drove straight home for fear of it not working should we try and spend a night on the way back.

This morning we were cutting a trip short because of UN expected severe cold weather suddenly coming in and when we went to put the slide in - NOTHING!! After 4 1/2 hours and 6 phone calls to our local dealer ( not where we bought it but great folks who tried hard to help us) we got it in.

What a nightmare not having a simple crank or something to manually put the slide back in!

We will hopefully get some answers next week but our biggest fear in buying an RV with a slide has turned into a nightmare reality twice now[emoji53].

I’ll post an update if we can get an answer on what is going on....
Old 02-17-2018, 01:17 AM   #2

I'll be watching this. I assumed they all had a manual way to crank it in.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #3

NOPE, not this "great" system we have...
Old 02-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #4

Our friends slide on their RV did the same thing. They found out it was because their battery didn't have enough juice. They turned on the RV engine, and let it charge the battery some and the slide went in. Our friends learned that you should always run your engine when bringing the slide in and gave us this info this weekend when camping with them. They said not to use your generator juice to bring your slide in. They also said, that the service departments have told them that people complain a lot that their slide won't go in - come to find out that their battery was too low to slide their slides in/out.

Not saying this was your issue, but just a heads up out there.
nvrsaynvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #5

slide

we always keep shore power hook up or generator or start motor home up.
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #6

Oh, one more very important tid bit we found out about the slide. NEVER slide the the slide in/out unless you are level! Always level your RV/Trailer before you slide your jack out and make sure you are level when you slide your slide in.
Our other friend this weekend decided he would play with the automatic jacks and didn't realize that if we had the slide out - the slide would bend. UGH! The jacks unleveled and our slide went crooked!!! UGH!! We tried to bring the slide in and the slide grinded badly. Luckily no major damage.

**level your RV/Trailer before moving your slide**
nvrsaynvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:16 PM   #7

Thanks. We were connected to shore power when we tried bringing it in. We were level, although when the slide comes out, it always seems to tilt downwards, but I've heard others have that same issue, if it really is an "issue"?

And it wasn't a matter of the slide grinding or trying to come in, it didn't budge at all - no sounds that it was trying to come in.

It goes in Thursday morning so we'll see....
Old 02-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #8

Does your Powergear slide have a inwall lock to prevent movement when in or out? Could be it’s operating ok but its limit switch is out causing the power to shutdown. No noise=no power. Try stoking the lock in and out, could help.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:24 PM   #9

we do not have any kind of lock to keep it out or in. When we pushed the button, the lights on the module went off so we know it gets power to the module and after that is it the module or motors that are screwed up?

I guess we'll find that out Thursday.

What do you mean by "Try stoking the lock in and out, could help"

Very, very frustrating, but if they can find a CAUSE and FIX it, we'll be happy.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:24 PM   #10
Sunseeker 3010DS

I have a Sunseeker and if the batteries are low the slides will not work in or out. The manual says always connect to shore power or run gen. to power slides. Also some have a manual override not sure where yours is but mine is in the long compartment just behind the gen. The instructions to over ride are in the manual. still need full 12 volts so Let us know what you learn, Good luck
slamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
we do not have any kind of lock to keep it out or in. When we pushed the button, the lights on the module went off so we know it gets power to the module and after that is it the module or motors that are screwed up?

I guess we'll find that out Thursday.

What do you mean by "Try stoking the lock in and out, could help"

Very, very frustrating, but if they can find a CAUSE and FIX it, we'll be happy.

With the lights on the control going out it’s most certainly losing its power supply. This could be a loose or corroded wire connection, a weak circuit breaker or low capacity battery. Don’t overlook the return or negative cabling.
My reference to the wall lock. Mine had a separate rocker switch next to the slide switch. You would “engage or disengage” the lock. If it was located anywhere engaged the slide wouldn’t operate. Good luck Thursday.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #12

SLAMAC - is there any chance you could screen shot or post a pic of that portion of your manual that shows how to override the slide (I'm assuming you too have a power gear slim rack in wall slide out and not a schwintech?) There are so many things in our manual that do NOT apply to our unit - it's like they threw together a generic manual to cover multiple equipment and operations.

Our local dealer printed out 11 pages of "installation and service manual dual planetary gearmotor slim rack slide out system" which covers some things ours has and some things we don't have?

I REALLY hope they find something Thursday because as much as we love to go, we are becoming very nervous about where we go if at all (dry camping and no cell, no one else around, etc...) I am a complete and total idiot when it comes to mechanical stuff.

Thanks everyone and we will let you know what we find out.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:31 PM   #13

Found your DwgX9uVQ dual planetary gear motor........ it’s owned by LCI under the name of Power Gear. Motors are like Schwintek and removable. Ratchet can be used to move slide in/out. Not easy though.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #14
Sunseeker 3010DS

BBogy, I'm sorry you are right I have a Schwintek, and I agree about the manuals, I'v been using this forum and youtube to help me understand and repair most of my issues. there are some very knowledgeable and great people willing to help. unfortunately I'm not one of the knowledeable ones but I am willing to help when I can. here is a youtube link that may help with the power gear slide. Hope this helps.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:17 PM   #15

Boy do I wish we could move our slide like the video.......

I drop it off in the morning!
Old 02-22-2018, 10:17 AM   #16
Sunseeker 3010DS

Let us know what what you learn I've been stressing about mine as well. so far the low battery was the only problem I'v had.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #17

BBogey did you check the battery voltage with the unit NOT connected to shore power? I ask this because a bad battery will show good voltage when connected to shore power as it is showing converter voltage. Once disconnected from the shore power and put under load the voltage will drop rapidly with a bad battery.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:54 AM   #18

We were connected to shore power while trying to operate the slide. I will however check the voltage while un plugged.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:53 PM   #19

Did they find anything last Thursday? I really think you have a glorified Lippert Schwintek system. That video is Lippert but not Schwintek design. Believe yours has a ratchet mech to move slide once motors are removed.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
Well, for the second time in 6 months our power gear slim rack slide refused to come in basically stranding us. It happened 6 months ago in California (we live in Washington) for 6 hours before it suddenly worked and we drove straight home for fear of it not working should we try and spend a night on the way back.

This morning we were cutting a trip short because of UN expected severe cold weather suddenly coming in and when we went to put the slide in - NOTHING!! After 4 1/2 hours and 6 phone calls to our local dealer ( not where we bought it but great folks who tried hard to help us) we got it in.

What a nightmare not having a simple crank or something to manually put the slide back in!

We will hopefully get some answers next week but our biggest fear in buying an RV with a slide has turned into a nightmare reality twice now[emoji53].

I’ll post an update if we can get an answer on what is going on....
On 2-12-2018 you posted you had a "Schwintek Slide" that had issues,why are you calling it a "Power gear slim rack slide" Very confusing for Members to help! There are Many posts about how to "Overcome Problems with the Schwintek System"! Youroo!!

Tags
slide