Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #1

snow load on roof of forester by forest river

Hi
We are up here in Ottawa Canada and have had a fair amount of snow and then a dump of freezing rain. I am worried about the load on the roof of our motorhome 3011 DS Forester. When should we start trying to take the snow off of the roof and won't the air conditioner and covers over the vents cause problems trying to clear the snow? We are hoping to have a building to park it in next year.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.
Pat

2013 Forester 3011DS
Pat and Ted
Ontario, Canada
patted1571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #2

If you do try to clear the snow off the roof be vary careful. I would not want to cut the roof material with a shovel when trying to clear the snow. I would rather take a chance with the snow and if the roof did cave in claim it under insurance. If you did rip the roofing material and did not know it happened you could have a lot of water damage inside before you discovered the hole. We live just south of you and I have never cleared the snow from the roof of a TT. Plus is you were to drive past any of the local RV dealerships you will notice that they do not shovel snow from the roofs.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #3

If you do go up on the roof be very careful as it will be slippery.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
Denver, CO

There should not be a problem, in a rig that you can walk on. if you do want to remove it, then use a brush and be careful.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #5

For what it's worth my dealer recommended to clear off the roof if the snow is greater than 24 inches, less if it is wet snow.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
If you do try to clear the snow off the roof be vary careful. I would not want to cut the roof material with a shovel when trying to clear the snow. I would rather take a chance with the snow and if the roof did cave in claim it under insurance. If you did rip the roofing material and did not know it happened you could have a lot of water damage inside before you discovered the hole. We live just south of you and I have never cleared the snow from the roof of a TT. Plus is you were to drive past any of the local RV dealerships you will notice that they do not shovel snow from the roofs.
The roof is fiberglass, so no membrane per se, but still worth using caution as to not break a roof vent. I use my house roof rake, it's lightweight and doesn't require climbing. The rake is made of plastic, so it's less likely to damage the roof compared to a shovel which can have a metal leading edge.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #7

Has anyone had any luck with turning on the heat in their travel trailer to melt the snow off the roof. Does it work? Seems like it would be less dangerous and potentially damaging than trying to get up there with an implement.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Has anyone had any luck with turning on the heat in their travel trailer to melt the snow off the roof. Does it work? Seems like it would be less dangerous and potentially damaging than trying to get up there with an implement.
IMHO it would be a very long process and a waste of LP.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #9

Quote:

It would help to make it easier to shove or slide the snow off but it would likely take a tank or more of propane before it would melt an appreciable amount.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

I think the best thing is regardless of how deep it gets, stay off the roof. The load is spread very evenly and cannot possibly equal a 250# person stepping on it which would put more than 250#/sq. ft of pressure on it with each individual step.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I think the best thing is regardless of how deep it gets, stay off the roof. The load is spread very evenly and cannot possibly equal a 250# person stepping on it which would put more than 250#/sq. ft of pressure on it with each individual step.
See, that's what I'm thinking. There's already over a foot of snow up there, and I really don't want to be walking around up there on it. If it melts the snow and prevents roof damage, I'm OK "wasting" the LP. It's on right now, I'll report back later.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #12

Quote:
See, that's what I'm thinking. There's already over a foot of snow up there, and I really don't want to be walking around up there on it. If it melts the snow and prevents roof damage, I'm OK "wasting" the LP. It's on right now, I'll report back later.

I don't think you have anything to worry about with only a foot of snow. My dealer who said he has repaired a number of collapsed roofs, told me not to worry unless it is more than 24 inches. Then you should get to shoveling from a ladder to get as much off as you can before climbing on to get the rest. You could also use a roof rake which reduces the chance of damaging something and can be done from the ground.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #13

Had close to 18" on mine and put a ladder up and very gently shoveled it off using one of those stupid emergency shovels. No metal edges and edge of the was kept off the roof. Be careful of your vents and any skylights. Live just 60 miles south of you. Its supposed to warm up in the next couple of days and rain, didn't want all that heavy wet snow up there. Make sure you don't scrape the top you dont have to take all of it off just some. Tried one of those foam car snow brushes but wouldn't do it the snow was too heavy.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, forester, roo, roof, snow