Old 05-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #1

So I'm really diggin' this full wall slide business on a MB chassis

I've been hunting and pecking for a small rv (our last was a 40' DP and I found it just toooooo much for me + wife + 2 small dogs - so I sold it

But I'm really digging these MBS chassis, and especially the full wall slide of the 2401w.

The over head bunk is useful to us for storage and so now I'm down to details.

I'm suuuuper curious about the mattress. Is it comfy or not.

I'm super curious about the MPG and range on a tank.

I'm super curious how long you can "really" run the generator before you run your LP dry. We travel for business, so occasionally we are stuck in an expo parking lot for the weekend with no hookups. Also on trips, we walmart parking lot it for several nights in a row. We've been known to run the generator all night if it's hot and we need the a/c. But if the weather is nice, we shut it off when we go to bed.

I'm wondering, do the front seats turn around?

I'm wondering how comfy the cab is? 300 to 500 miles per day, several days in a row is not uncommon.

I wish the dinette were squared in the corners like the new unity van, seems it would be easier to kick back in, but I can live with it.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #2

I might be the first to buy one of these it seems ???

Old 05-10-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
2012 Solera

I don't know anything specific to the full wall slide version - we have a 2012 Solera "S". Can respond to some of your questions wrt our experiences.

The "S" is a great size for us - wife and I and our 110 pound Golden Retriever. We also use the overhead area for storage - soft stuff. I added a set of bugees up there to keep stuff from falling out.

We added a 4 inch memory foam pad to the mattress - quite satisfactory with the pad. I think Forest River may have upgraded the mattress since 2012.

We experience 12 MPG on highways (70 to 75 MPG), 14 to 15 on non-highway (50 to 60 mpg). Wind has an effect, but speed is the dominant influence on MPG. The fuel gauge shows warning light with 4+ gallons left (based on 26 gallon tank and what it takes to refill with the light on). As I hate driving while showing empty, I refill at 200 to 250 miles.

I find the cab sufficiently comfortable for long driving days (we have gone to Alaska and back, and cross-country). My wife is handicapped (back and knee problems) and found the seat somewhat spartan. We replaced the passenger's seat with an upgraded model (Shop4Seats.com; required a lot of adaptation to fit) which added seat heat, lumbar, foot rest, etc. We had added an after-market seat swivel to the passenger's seat - but we never used it, and eliminated it when we did the seat upgrade.

We use the generator only occasionally - e.g., to defrost dinner, cook vegetables, keep the dog cool while we have lunch. Can't comment on propane usage for longer term use. Work's great and no significant propane consumption as we use it.

Good luck with your decision -

Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:23 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it. So then the S version is the bed in the corner right?

I have some questions there. I personally LOVE the look of the corner bed inside as it appears open and roomy.

My concern is the person who has to sleep against the out side wall... how difficult is it for the to get out of bed in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and what not.

Further I have to find a place to shove a CPAP machine - which I hate but.... I think it might could be tucked in an overhead cabinet and have the line just run down to you, it's a long hose.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:01 PM   #5
2012 Solera

Yes, corner bed. No experience with CPAP. Cabinets above bed are handy for miscellaneous like glasses, books. May well work for CPAP. I sleep in the "inside/wall" position - roll onto stomach and crawl backwards off the end of the bed. Works for me ...
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:32 AM   #6

I need to go look at one and give it a try with the two of us and see if that would work.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #7

I understand FR is, as we speak, building that model on a Ford chassis. I'm looking forward to seeing photos and specs. It is a gts model without the overhead bunk, which we prefer. The one they are building has the U-booth dinette which we don't want. I've been told we can order the sofa at the same price. I hope so, that is what we prefer.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:59 PM   #8

I'm sure, furniture changing is pretty straightforward.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #9
RETIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetland View Post
I understand FR is, as we speak, building that model on a Ford chassis. I'm looking forward to seeing photos and specs. It is a gts model without the overhead bunk, which we prefer. The one they are building has the U-booth dinette which we don't want. I've been told we can order the sofa at the same price. I hope so, that is what we prefer.
BC posted a flyer at http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...2&d=1431011801 for the GTS W .

2015 Jeep Cherokee
2016 Ford Race Car Red 350HD Cargo Van HR DRW EXT DIY Daytripper "My Little Red Corvette"
n-e-d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #10

Cool Cool, i like the "look" of the GTS, but I honestly could use the storage space in the bunk I think. We sometimes travel with "inventory" for shows that needs to be kept at room temp or lower, I'm thinking this bunk could provide that storage for use when we need it.

Tags
slide