Old 03-22-2015, 04:20 PM   #1

Solar in 3011DS

Anyone out there who has added solar charging to their 3011DS? Curious as to how you wired it, where you placed the charge controller, etc. Please share if you are out there.
Thanks!

Old 04-24-2015, 02:07 PM   #2

I'm interested too. Looking to buy aa 3011DS in the near future.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
Bus Driver

I have done a fair amount of research and component selection as I am in the process of adding 400W of Solar to my 2651S which shares some similarities as yours.

I have selected and am using Renogy 100W 12V Bendable Monocrystalline Solar Panels . They are more efficient, competitively priced and offer a thicker substrate plastic backing than some other Mfgr’s I considered. They weigh 4.4 Lbs each verses 16+ Lbs each for the aluminum framed version. I won’t have to drill any holes into the roof as the Bendables can be affixed with EternaBond WebSeal Tape Tape. There should be less wind resistance when traveling and the panels can be walked on. They can be removed with careful use of a knife should it be required. They also take up less real-estate on the roof allowing me to add more panels should the need arise. The downside to these panels is they can’t be tilted to face the sun when parked for a longer time and they may not be as robust as the tempered glass versions. I think I have weighed the pros and cons accurately and chose these overall. I also, will be using the Tape to also affix the Wiring run on the roof to the access point at the refrigerator vent.

For the wiring entry into the “body”, I will utilize the opening around the roof top refrigerator vent. I will use AMSOLAR's Vent Combiner Box and then run 6AWG wire, down the vent and onto the floor behind the cabinets to my Solar Controller. Along this run will be a Circuit breaker to “disconnect” the panels should maintenance be required.

The solar Controller I have chosen is the Blue Sky Energy's Solar Boost 3000i. It is a 12Volt, 30Amp, 400Watt MPPT Solar Charge Controller. MPPT Charge controllers are said to offer 30% better efficiency than PWM controllers. I will mount this either in the entry way panel where the battery control switch is or underneath and behind a drawer in the cabinetry. I have chosen also, to use Blue Sky Energy's IPN Remote which includes a Battery Monitor as well as being able to access the MPPT controller or multiple controllers remotely. I am going to mount the Remote to the Entry Way Panel or next to the “Convenience Center Panel" depending on ease of installation. Using this remote, I can easily add additional panels and controllers as our needs may change without butchering up the cabinetry or appearance too bad.

I will run 6AWG wiring from the controller to my LifeLine GPL-27t AGM Deep Cycle RV Batteries with the appropriate fuses.

I am in the process of purchasing the remaining parts as my Minister of Finance and budget allows and will begin the install shortly……. Stay Tuned for film at 11:00
Old 05-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #4
Citrus County, Fl.

Do you have a ball park figure on what all of this will cost?
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:46 PM   #5
Bus Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Do you have a ball park figure on what all of this will cost?
Are you trying to get me in trouble with my Minister of Finance?

I paid just less than $200 for each panel….. $800
I paid $250 for the controller……….....…………$250
I paid $225 for the Remote……......……………..$225
I paid $65 for the Tape….………….......…………. $65
I paid $60 for the Combiner Box…........…………$60
I Paid $48 for the 6AWG wire…….......……………$48
Fuse(s) Circuit Breaker, Misc …......…… ………TBD

The above are “to My Door” prices. While many will say you can do this much cheaper (different components), I have researched and read many, many reviews and tests of the components I have selected, I only want the best and to do this without having to “upgrade” to replace components in the future. I was replying as to my install approach and using the components I've selected
Old 05-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #6

Thanks Deaver,
That's some awesome information!
Old 05-07-2015, 09:24 PM   #7
Bus Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbusch1 View Post
Thanks Deaver,
That's some awesome information!
You are most welcome

Now, to find the time to install
Old 05-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #8

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2015, 06:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaver View Post
I have selected and am using Renogy 100W 12V Bendable Monocrystalline Solar Panels . They are more efficient, competitively priced and offer a thicker substrate plastic backing than some other Mfgr’s I considered. They weigh 4.4 Lbs each verses 16+ Lbs each for the aluminum framed version. I won’t have to drill any holes into the roof as the Bendables can be affixed with EternaBond WebSeal Tape Tape. There should be less wind resistance when traveling and the panels can be walked on.
Hi, I'm just starting to research solar panels for my unit as well and I came across a couple of video reviews of this type of solar cell that pointed out a few problems.

Check out:

Old 06-11-2015, 09:11 PM   #10
Bus Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
Hi, I'm just starting to research solar panels for my unit as well and I came across a couple of video reviews of this type of solar cell that pointed out a few problems.
I agree with your concerns and I too, saw this video before making my choices.

Jason Wynn from Gone with the Wynns did a nice review. They are however, using Go Power Solar Flex Panels. I am using Renogy Bendable Panels.

Another reviewer compared the Go Power's to the Renogy's and noted that the Plastic sub-strait that the the cells were mounted on was thinner on the Go Power's. I can only guess that it might be a reason for the cupping on the cells that Jason mentioned. I am hoping that the thicker panel of the Renogy's will not suffer from the same problem. Also, The Wynn's mounted theirs Front to back where I am going to mount mine side to side orientation to take advantage of the slight crown to the roof.

He also mentioned some gouging as a result of encounters with tree limbs. Keep in mind they are in a 2014 33ft Fleetwood Excursion 33D Class A Coach. With our Forester, I am hoping to be better able to avoid some of these obstacles.

In the end, I would rather gouge a panel than have a limb find its way under an aluminum framed panel and have the tree remove the panel for me as I drive by.

I still like the "less overall weight , No holes in the roof" and "better wind resistance" approach of the bendables

These are my thoughts on selecting the panels I have chosen

Tags
solar