Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2019, 10:02 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHOUSER View Post
I pulled a cut and paste of this and delivered it to the tech working on why my light is still blinking after the MOD. He and I both thank you for sharing your "find".

This kind of help is what makes this forum great.

v/r rch
RHOUSER,
You wouldn't happen to know which pins are 11 & 12 on the connector. I have a 3051s and had the recall work complete only to have the same problems as all the posts. Dealer is now looking into getting authorization for work on a new controller??? like to fix it myself and not drive the 1 hour to the dealer.. your thoughts please.
Thank you
Bob
1doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:37 PM   #42

Picked up my MH from Gander Outdoors in Breau Bridge, Louisiana today. This is the first time the awning and lights can be operated from both the Smart Arm and the LCI module inside the MH. No blinking light on the Smart Arm. Looks like the got it fixed where Camping World never could. They kept me informed during the entire process and I am pleased with them.
claudew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:41 AM   #43
DaLexusGuy

Pins 11 and 12 - details anyone?

Just had the awning recall done on my forester 2801QS and, of course now it doesn't operate using the inside control touch pad.

I tried to tell them that the Forester models need an extra step of cutting wires back but I guess they thought I was just a confused old man.

Anyway, rather than having the RV sit at the dealer for another week or so, I will just fix the issue myself. If anyone knows the wire colors (and/or location on the connector) for pins for 11 and 12 please let us know

Thanks!
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:56 AM   #44

If you get the dealership to contact Forest River they will find out that the wiring harness has to be changed also. There is a special dial wiring harness for the Forester that is different than the wiring harness for other models.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:02 PM   #45
Site Team

I just attended the international frog rally in Goshen in my Forester with solera awning. I knew about the awning control recall but hadn't done it because I'd had no trouble.
The first day there, LCI showed up at my door and replaced the controller and waterproofed the wiring. I didn't ask for it, nor did I expect it, but they saw my unit registered for the rally and it hadn't been serviced so they came and did it.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:42 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoS View Post
Just had the awning recall done on my forester 2801QS and, of course now it doesn't operate using the inside control touch pad.

I tried to tell them that the Forester models need an extra step of cutting wires back but I guess they thought I was just a confused old man.

Anyway, rather than having the RV sit at the dealer for another week or so, I will just fix the issue myself. If anyone knows the wire colors (and/or location on the connector) for pins for 11 and 12 please let us know

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0041.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	214008Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	214009
If you zoom in on the picture of the connector pins, you can see numbers. You still have to figure out what wires to cut. I have a 2019 Forester 2421.
Chuck2341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:28 PM   #47
Rich

I ordered a new controller and wiring harness to replace the ones currently in my smart arm. There was so much corrosion and water damage nothing was working. I am in the process of installing the new parts. The wiring is difficult because of poor repair work done by Camping World. Hopefully when I’m done my awning will function again.
chevytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:50 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevytrkr View Post
I also use Camping World in Lafayette. When I brought my Forester in to have the awning checked, the service rep didn’t even know about the buttons on the arm of the awning. I hope when the new Camping World is finished in Breaux Bridge, they will upgrade the service staff also. All the highway construction in the area is making it difficult to travel through that area. Happy Camping to everyone.
Rich
Jennings, LA
I know it’s a little further drive for y’all down south but you could bring it to Cenla rv in Alexandria. I have seen this issue several times and yes you do have to seal the top of the connector as well as the wiring in order to mitigate the moisture i also apply die electric grease to the pins on the inside of the connector for our customers.
Moosemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:59 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck2341 View Post
Attachment 214008Attachment 214009
If you zoom in on the picture of the connector pins, you can see numbers. You still have to figure out what wires to cut. I have a 2019 Forester 2421.
If you want to repair it yourself I recommend pulling the big blob of sealant from behind the controller instead of cutting a bunch of wires. Be careful when you do bc the bell connectors they cram in the hole can come off leaving you fishing wires out. Then take it one wire at a time removing the old and replacing with the new one from the harness. You will also have to cut down the new harness to the length of the old or you will never get it back in there.
Moosemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:35 AM   #50
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosemedic View Post
If you want to repair it yourself I recommend pulling the big blob of sealant from behind the controller instead of cutting a bunch of wires. Be careful when you do bc the bell connectors they cram in the hole can come off leaving you fishing wires out. Then take it one wire at a time removing the old and replacing with the new one from the harness. You will also have to cut down the new harness to the length of the old or you will never get it back in there.
Got my controller working again. Replacing the wiring was a hassle but I finally got all the wires connected and working. Yes, I did have to cut several wires shorter to make them fit back into the arm. Before I reinstalled the new controller, I put a big glob of silicon where the wires connect to the controller to keep water out. Seems to be working okay. I must say, I think I did a better job than the service shop guys could have done. Take your time and do it right.
chevytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 05:18 PM   #51

Does anyone know how to bypass the outside controller all together and just operate the awning from the inside switch?
Phil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 05:24 PM   #52

I had a Forest River dealer do mine. They changed out the awning arm without the control box and replaced the wiring harness. Now everything controlled inside at control pad.
Old 11-11-2021, 07:36 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudew View Post
I had a Forest River dealer do mine. They changed out the awning arm without the control box and replaced the wiring harness. Now everything controlled inside at control pad.
Would you be able to snap a few detailed pics of how its wired now?
Old 11-11-2021, 08:04 AM   #54

No I couldn't. They removed the original wiring and outside control box on the arm and the only wire exposed is the wire going from inside to the motor. This was done according to specs from the factory. They replaced the smart arm awning arm with a Solara arm. Since I had so much trouble since purchasing the unit with the Smart Arm( had been replaced 3 times) they did the repair under warranty at no cost to me.
Old 11-11-2021, 04:54 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudew View Post
No I couldn't. They removed the original wiring and outside control box on the arm and the only wire exposed is the wire going from inside to the motor. This was done according to specs from the factory. They replaced the smart arm awning arm with a Solara arm. Since I had so much trouble since purchasing the unit with the Smart Arm( had been replaced 3 times) they did the repair under warranty at no cost to me.
Gotcha, thanks!

Tags
awning, forester, solera