Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2019, 07:39 AM   #1

Solera Smart Arm - Best sun shad screen?

I have a 2018 FR 2501 TS that comes with the 18’ 2” awning (best of my recollection). I want/need a sun shade to block the setting sun.

Does anyone have a favorite?

thanks in advance. v/r rch
RHOUSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:50 PM   #2

Ok, I shot my nickel on Amazon. I went with a company called Tentproinc. I ordered the 17’ awning shade (no zipper) and a single side screen from the same outfit.

I am in Florida for the next two months in my rig. I will put it to use as soon as it arrives.

Thanks to all who make this forum great.

v/r. rch
Old 04-30-2019, 12:09 PM   #3

We got this one from Amazon (don’t know what “shot my nickel” means). It came with clips to attach to small sliders installed n the awning roller groove. We didn’t like that attach system so we cut off all the eyelets, then folded the material in place and wrapped around a piece of screen window rope. Now the screen just slides into the groove. It’s been through 30+ knot winds and doesn’t budge.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-30-2019, 02:19 PM   #4

emm-dee, it means I made my choice and spent my money so no more choices. Old guy thing. As you have seen, I don’t always make the best choices, but sometimes I just “pick one”. I am going to sit in Florida through June as it is time for a screen and at least 1 side screen for sundown side. It is 92 degrees out and all systems are a go.

Hope all is well at your end. v/r. rch
Old 04-30-2019, 09:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHOUSER View Post
emm-dee, it means I made my choice and spent my money so no more choices. Old guy thing. As you have seen, I don’t always make the best choices, but sometimes I just “pick one”. I am going to sit in Florida through June as it is time for a screen and at least 1 side screen for sundown side. It is 92 degrees out and all systems are a go.

Hope all is well at your end. v/r. rch
All is well at Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores, except one of my my awning pole lights is giving me fits. Will get that fixed tomorrow.

There are few manufacturers of the awning screens so the one you got is probably the same as mine. If you need to use the “party light” holders

(https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Uni...-Pack/14504351 )

be very careful and verify all the “S” hooks are removed before retracting the awning. If one is left in place, and it has happened, the awning fabric will be torn.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #6
2 years till retirement

sun shade tips

Emm-Dee

If you use the screen without the hooks, can you roll it up with the awning or do you have to remove it to close the awning?

Proud owner of:
2017 Arctic Wolf 265DBH8 5th wheel
2017 Ford F150 3.5L ecoboost
Rusty the Rhodesian Ridgeback (we think)
gpeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpeitz View Post
Emm-Dee

If you use the screen without the hooks, can you roll it up with the awning or do you have to remove it to close the awning?
If you’re referring to the rubber like tabs that slide into the awning groove that provide the hook attachment point then yes. Prior to converting my screen to allow attaching the screen without hooks I did it all the time with no problem. But leaving a hook in place will definitely damage the fabric.

With the sliding attachment system I’m sure the awning could be rolled up with the screen in place but it would be a really fat roll when finished. I’m not planning to do that. It takes five seconds to remove the screen after you’ve pulled the bottom tiedown stakes.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:24 AM   #8

Mine came set up with a “rope” side designed to slide the length of the awning slot. Mine rolls up in the awning just fine. I wouldn’t travel with it cause the roll is too big for the frame to fit to the coach tightly, but it was perfect during last nights t-storm.
v/r rch
Old 05-03-2019, 07:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHOUSER View Post
Mine came set up with a “rope” side designed to slide the length of the awning slot. Mine rolls up in the awning just fine. I wouldn’t travel with it cause the roll is too big for the frame to fit to the coach tightly, but it was perfect during last nights t-storm.
v/r rch
That’s good to hear. When I got my screen a few years back the slide type wasn’t available in my size. We cut the eyelets off and sewed the rope in. I never tried rolling up with the screen but now I’ll see what happens.

Now,,,need to come up with a fast way to remove the ground stakes.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:24 AM   #10

looking for advice

We are now looking for a sun screen. We see them for sale everywhere. My question is whats the best color to get. Seems to me that a black one on a sunny day with no breeze would get very hot. I do not see a lot of color options. Can anyone tell me what they have experianced with the different colors.
GaryK. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:20 PM   #11

We have a 21 foot black screen and with full sun on it the temperature behind the screen under the awning is ten or more degrees lower than outside.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
That’s good to hear. When I got my screen a few years back the slide type wasn’t available in my size. We cut the eyelets off and sewed the rope in. I never tried rolling up with the screen but now I’ll see what happens.

Now,,,need to come up with a fast way to remove the ground stakes.

I put 4 of the barn nail type stakes with the plastic eyelets on them into the ground almost flush and then just leave the bungees attached.

For thunderstorms, I just unhook the screen side and roll in the awning and screen. When it,s all clear, the bungees are already in place to hook back to the screen.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:03 AM   #13

Good info on this site as usual. I'm planning already for next summer. I live in AZ but spend the summers in WI, to visit family and also to skip town while its hotter than you know what during the summer. This summer I found a great little campground and snagged a seasonal spot and plan on returning next year. A great shady spot except about 5 PM to 8 PM when I need a side sunshade. Does anyone have any pics and/or recommendations for me?
Dennys67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester, solera