Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #1

Some things are too simple

For several years I’ve been attaching a pressure regulator to the CG water outlet. Even drove away once and left it never to be seen again. Almost did that yesterday. Coincidentally I saw a post on the forum which mentioned permanently installing the regular. I didn’t think there would be room to close the door but tried it anyway.

Works just fine on a Forester. Now it’s just a quick connect and all is ready. Now, if I can just figure a way to remember to take the quick connector adapter I usually put on the CG outlet.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #2

Won’t help, but the end of the season sees clearance on garden stuff...maybe you can a handful of disconnects for spares.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #3

Hose isn't protected that way but at least you won't forget your regulator. I permanently attach my regulator to the hose with a quick connect to a wye. Worst I can do is forget the wye at the hose bib.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
Hose isn't protected that way but at least you won't forget your regulator. I permanently attach my regulator to the hose with a quick connect to a wye. Worst I can do is forget the wye at the hose bib.
??? Protected from what?
Old 07-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
??? Protected from what?
From high CG water pressure. Some have reported as high as 200 psi. Highest we've seen so far is 140 psi. I installed a Watts regulator inside and bought a Valterra hose with a high burst pressure rating of 160 psi.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:35 PM   #6
Always Learning

I had mine like this for years and prefer it this way. Like you- it makes it impossible to forget!

I have seen a few pictures over the years of white hoses with big bubbles on them. I never encountered that with regular white hoses. BUT- I did have a set of roll-flat hoses develop pinhole leaks all at once at a campground; I assume it was high pressure that got them.

I don't put a quick connect on the campsite spigot. I just always use the same piece of hose so that I never need a quick connect there. If I add/remove hoses, it to the other end and they all have quick connects installed.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:48 PM   #7

Great tip. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
From high CG water pressure. Some have reported as high as 200 psi. Highest we've seen so far is 140 psi. I installed a Watts regulator inside and bought a Valterra hose with a high burst pressure rating of 160 psi.
Good point although I’ve never seen more than 80 pounds at a campground. If I run into ultra high pressure I really don’t care if I blow up a hose. It’s a lot cheaper than buying a new regulator if I forget it or it gets stolen.

BTW, there was an incident at a close by state park a couple weeks ago where a campsite was relieved of its hose, pressure regulator, power cord and surge guard. It can happen.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:41 AM   #9
NXR

Since you mentioned permanently installed, does that mean you leave the regulator screwed into the fitting while you're bouncing down the road? If so, that feels like it would put a tremendous amount of stress on those plastic fittings.

Ray
NXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Since you mentioned permanently installed, does that mean you leave the regulator screwed into the fitting while you're bouncing down the road? If so, that feels like it would put a tremendous amount of stress on those plastic fittings.

Ray
I don’t think it’ll be a problem but if it is the plastic part that could fail is very easy to replace. Water leaking is not an issue because the affected area is isolated from the rest of the MH. When I did a true deep clean a few months back that compartment was one that I cleaned out with a pressure washer.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #11
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Good point although I’ve never seen more than 80 pounds at a campground. If I run into ultra high pressure I really don’t care if I blow up a hose. It’s a lot cheaper than buying a new regulator if I forget it or it gets stolen.

BTW, there was an incident at a close by state park a couple weeks ago where a campsite was relieved of its hose, pressure regulator, power cord and surge guard. It can happen.
That just pisses me off to no end.

I left my watts regulator at the pedestal one year. I called up a couple weeks later after I realized it was missing and the campground had it behind the counter. The maintenance guy found it. I guess they could have back tracked who was the last to use the site when they found it but I was more than happy to take the 2 hour round trip to get it back. There are still honest people in this world.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:08 PM   #12

I was at the Ballon Fest rally last year. I had hooked up to the nearest water tap to where I was parked. Guy in the row behind me wanted to hook up also, and I told him to use the open tap on the 4 way splitter I use. Each outlet had a back flow on it. When he disconnected, he took my back flow...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester