Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #1
Citrus County, Fl.

Speaker issues overhead and outdoor

Since our out of town family visitors left, I am finally getting around to playing with the audio and video equipment and have a couple of speaker issues that I cant figure out:

1) The outside speakers that are controlled by a switch next to the Fantastic fan control don't seem to work in either position. I have tried with the dash radio, outside TV and radio and inside TV and not getting anything.

2) The overhead speakers work with the dash radio and playing a DVD but I am unable to get anything when viewing just the TV. Our tech that did the PDI tried to help and we booth looked at the Jensen manual but he admited he was nut up to speed with the Jensen set up. On a positive note, the subwoofer works great when watching a DVD. I tested it with Top Gun

One thing I have noticed but it may not mean anything is under setup on the TV, external speakers is greyed out. This applies to both the living area TV and the identical outside TV. It looks like everything is connected where it should be on both of the TV's.

As I get older I also get stupider (is that a word) when it comes to audio/video electronics.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Since our out of town family visitors left, I am finally getting around to playing with the audio and video equipment and have a couple of speaker issues that I cant figure out:

1) The outside speakers that are controlled by a switch next to the Fantastic fan control don't seem to work in either position. I have tried with the dash radio, outside TV and radio and inside TV and not getting anything.

2) The overhead speakers work with the dash radio and playing a DVD but I am unable to get anything when viewing just the TV. Our tech that did the PDI tried to help and we booth looked at the Jensen manual but he admited he was nut up to speed with the Jensen set up. On a positive note, the subwoofer works great when watching a DVD. I tested it with Top Gun

One thing I have noticed but it may not mean anything is under setup on the TV, external speakers is greyed out. This applies to both the living area TV and the identical outside TV. It looks like everything is connected where it should be on both of the TV's.

As I get older I also get stupider (is that a word) when it comes to audio/video electronics.
GL, the switch by the fantastic fan switch, just walking in the coach door at the upper right is the correct switch. Ours works just fine. Nothing special to get it working. There must be a problem with the switch or wiring. Good luck.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post

Do you have a cable connected to an audio output on your tv? I do not and cannot route tv audio (ie, broadcast tv) through the overhead speakers. That would be a great thing (and the stereo is capable of receiving that input but mine doesn't have the cabling to do so I don't believe.

>Steve
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
GL, the switch by the fantastic fan switch, just walking in the coach door at the upper right is the correct switch. Ours works just fine. Nothing special to get it working. There must be a problem with the switch or wiring. Good luck.
And BTW, it is the dash unit that those speakers connect to.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverkemp View Post
And BTW, it is the dash unit that those speakers connect to.
Correct.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:28 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Make sure you have the balance and fade centered. That would be in the EQ section.

To get the overhead speakers to work on over the air channels you have to turn off the TV speakers and set the speaker level to fixed. We posted a video to our Facebook page and I posted the pdf instructions on here. Search "playing over the air tv over surround sound" (I think)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:44 AM   #7
Citrus County, Fl.

Brian, thanks for the info, I found both the pdf and the video. Worked great for the living room set. I printed up the pdf and will keep it with my manuals for future reference.

I tried to do the same with the outside tv by following the instructions from the pdf but the outside radio has no "rear input" under "source". I tried the outside speaker switch in both positions incase it was installed upside down. The radio is a Connexx brand so it may be different than what the pdf shows as the choices under source were "TV" and "Aux In" and neither worked. I will read thru the manual to see if I can find anything and may need to pull the switch and/or speakers outside to see if both are hooked up. The red/white audio cables are hooked up on the outside TV as they should be.
99 Terry 31G
Old 07-13-2015, 10:44 AM   #8
Commercial Member

It will depend if this new outside radio has an audio input like the old one. I would assume it does...but parts like that change due to supply issues all the time.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
It will depend if this new outside radio has an audio input like the old one. I would assume it does...but parts like that change due to supply issues all the time.
We have the 2016 3171DS and the outside speakers will only work with the indash stereo/dvd player.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
Citrus County, Fl.

So far the outside speakers don't work with anything I have tried. Will pop a DVD in again today and see if they work. Next step after that is to pop the switch cover off and see if it's connected. No screws so it looks like it will pry off. After that I will attempt to see if the speakers are wired up. Also, I have not hooked up to cable tv yet but should be able to stretch a cable from the garage to try it out.
99 Terry 31G
Old 07-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #11

One other place to check is the nest of speaker connections where the subwoofer sits under the dinette.

Tags
door