Old 02-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
My new unit has almost 900 miles on it and from what I've been reading it is in need of alignment that likely will increase the caster. Question is, is there a rule of thumb that says drive it X miles first before having it aligned? Also, who do I approach about this first? The dealer I bought it from or Forest River?

RVr
Update - Confirmed with local shop that specializes in truck alignments. They recommended putting a couple of thousand miles on the unit before having it aligned. FR also confirmed that they will pick up $250 towards the cost when I have it done.

So in the sequence of things to do to improve steering performance, sounds like an alignment is the first thing to try before installing and aftermarket accessories, but you should wait for until you have some miles on the vehicle.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:38 PM   #22

We have almost 3600 miles on our 3171 (purchased in December 2015). We had it aligned about 500 miles ago and FR is supposed to be sending us a check. DH installed Roadmaster sway bars, front and rear, and a Roadmaster steering stabilizer. He also installed Bilstein heavy-duty shocks in the rear, but needed Ford to put them on in the front because of inaccessibility. He is extremely pleased with the way it handles now. I haven't had a chance to drive it post-mods yet, but I can tell, as a passenger, that the ride is better. DH also installed Hushmats and we can hear one another so much better now!

Old 02-29-2016, 08:26 PM   #23

Pixey Did you put the hushmat under the dog house or under the floor , or both?
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixey View Post
We have almost 3600 miles on our 3171 (purchased in December 2015). We had it aligned about 500 miles ago and FR is supposed to be sending us a check. DH installed Roadmaster sway bars, front and rear, and a Roadmaster steering stabilizer. He also installed Bilstein heavy-duty shocks in the rear, but needed Ford to put them on in the front because of inaccessibility. He is extremely pleased with the way it handles now. I haven't had a chance to drive it post-mods yet, but I can tell, as a passenger, that the ride is better. DH also installed Hushmats and we can hear one another so much better now!
This might be a question for HD, but how much do the heavy duty shocks help in the rear? If your vehicle has the same air bags in the rear as mine I was thinking the effect would be negligible if the air bags are inflated properly. ???
Old 02-29-2016, 11:27 PM   #25

He installed the Hush mats in the dog house, on the floor board, and under the hood.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:31 PM   #26

DH says, "I can't honestly say how much they help, but there was a notable difference." He put the shocks on after he had the stabilizers on for a little while with the original shocks, and he could tell a difference. We just got back from a trip on some rural, twisty, mountain roads, and he was very pleased with the handling, even in the wind. Confirmation bias? Who knows!
Old 03-01-2016, 12:09 AM   #27

Also from DH:

"What shock absorbers do and comparison test:

Shock Therapy: RV Shock Absorber Test

I don't think that the Ride Rite air bags do what the gas pressurized shocks do for handling and absortion of bumps, etc. Ride Rite air bags do something different, though there is some overlap because they do absorb shock:

http://riderite.com/Ride-Rite%20Product%20Detail "
Old 03-01-2016, 08:29 AM   #28

Pixey,

Ok. Good shock article and I can see where there is some overlap but each has it's own primary job to do. Thanks to you and DH.

RVr
Old 03-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #29

Ok, installed the Bilstein stabilizer and finally have driven it. Drive about 60 miles today, winds about 10-20 mph. Highway and backroad driving and there is definitely a noticeable improvement in handling. I will still get an alignment, steering wheel is about the 1 o'clock position while going straight. Worth the 30 min install and $90 from summit racing. Just for FYI, front tire psi 75/ rear 80/ air bags were 70.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:13 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
Ok, installed the Bilstein stabilizer and finally have driven it. Drive about 60 miles today, winds about 10-20 mph. Highway and backroad driving and there is definitely a noticeable improvement in handling. I will still get an alignment, steering wheel is about the 1 o'clock position while going straight. Worth the 30 min install and $90 from summit racing. Just for FYI, front tire psi 75/ rear 80/ air bags were 70.

Was the steering off center before the stabilizer was installed or after?

2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome