Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #1

Still Freezing - Risk?

So de-winterized the camper, heading to the beach on Thursday. Woo Hoo!

Last few nights been down to the mid-20's. Few hours below freezing not a big deal but running the arctic pack and furnace to keep things warm just in case.

Got me to wondering, what about the outside shower and the low point drains underneath the camper. Nothing to keep them warm. Anybody winter camp where they were a problem? Hoping to do a little winter camping myself next year. How do you keep those areas from freezing?

Forester 2451s
Old 03-21-2016, 09:27 PM   #2

You can dump the fresh water and use the low point drain to drain the pipes which should include the outside shower if you open it up so air can run in. Refill again when it gets warmer. Other than that, I don't know a way to keep those points warm.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 03-22-2016, 06:04 AM   #3

Disconnect the water supply hose and drain it.

The underside of the coach should be OK as long as there are no strong winds.

Usually these short excursions below freezing at night are a result of clear skys and thermal radiation from the ground.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #4

Still Freezing - Risk?

I forgot to mention the low point drain could be spot warmed by placing a trouble light underneath it. Just be sure the ground stays dry and you don't overheat (melt) it. Maybe the same could be done with the outside shower using a clip-on light or a pole or floor lamp.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 03-22-2016, 11:23 AM   #5

I just de-winterized my 5er yesterday. As a matter of routine, I flush the system to look for leaks. I only found one this year. It was in the inside shower sprayer head. It's made of plastic, and apparently, when I winterized, that particular spot didn't get any antifreeze in it, so the plastic split. Have to replace the head.
In previous years, I found out that an often neglected place is in the drain pipes. So, when you run the antifreeze, be sure to run enough down each drain so that the P-traps and connections get touched by the antifreeze. Another place to check is the washer/dryer connections. On those, best thing to do is to drain them down by opening the lowest point in the camper, then opening the valves to the W/D and letting gravity suck down the water in the pipes. Do this BEFORE you add antifreeze, otherwise you will drain the antifreeze out of your system.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Other than that, I don't know a way to keep those points warm.
Battery powered socks!
jboot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #7

Not time to De-Winterize here in the Great Lakes State yet,,,
We had one morning last week the low was 18 & the next morning was 20 !!!
Maybe ok next week ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Not time to De-Winterize here in the Great Lakes State yet,,,
We had one morning last week the low was 18 & the next morning was 20 !!!
Maybe ok next week ???
A winter storm floating around here today - hopefully we won't get too much as we are on the edge, but freezing temps will still be around for at least a few more days.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:15 AM   #9

Winter has returned to the North !!!
Maybe near 60 on Saturday ???
Old 04-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #10

Well heck, back from Florida spring break trip. Had two nights around 28 and I ran furnace and arctic pacs. Unfortunately that was not enough and froze and split the outside shower faucet. It spilt after the valve so just need to leave it off.

So much for winter camping and the value of arctic pac and heated compartments. There is always a weak link to a design. In this case outside shower and I suspect low point drain as both outside and exposed!

Forester 2451s
Old 04-17-2016, 07:01 AM   #11

I think Spring has Sprung !!!
Old 04-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
Well heck, back from Florida spring break trip. Had two nights around 28 and I ran furnace and arctic pacs. Unfortunately that was not enough and froze and split the outside shower faucet. It spilt after the valve so just need to leave it off.

So much for winter camping and the value of arctic pac and heated compartments. There is always a weak link to a design. In this case outside shower and I suspect low point drain as both outside and exposed!

Forester 2451s

Sorry to hear that, mate! 😣 the Arctic pals Will protect the two holding tanks. The furnace will provide protection to everything within the warm area, which may include the fresh water tank. However, the only safe way to protect the exposed lines and fixtures is to drain the lines for the night. I'm wondering if maybe it fell below 28 for some period of time? Thankfully it was just that one fixed year and, as you said, it can be closed off with a valve so you can use the rest of the unit.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 04-18-2016, 08:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I think Spring has Sprung !!!

Summer struck suddenly, with temperatures rising to the mid to upper 70s. We had our first outing this past weekend.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 04-19-2016, 06:42 AM   #14

Mid 80s here yesterday,,, cool & cloudy this morning,,, good day to work out side,,, maybe even install a Awing Pole Kit ???
LOL !!!
Old 04-25-2016, 12:30 PM   #15

OK found a solution to my freezing outside shower. The connection is in the back of the bathroom vanity. So will add shut off/isolation valves and just drain/blow out the shower faucet before cold weather. Also plan to fill the outside shower cabinet with insulation just for added protection. This will allow me to use the rest of the water system when cold.

Still leaves the low point drain underneath the camper exposed but not by much.

Of course don't have to worry about freezing again for a few months but really hope to do some winter camping at some point. That is one of the reasons I bought this camper with enclosed heat plumbing and artic pacs.

Happy camping!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1461604741.619245.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	106071

Forester 2451s
Old 04-25-2016, 12:37 PM   #16

I wouldn't worry too much about the low point drains. Here's why...

When water freezes, it freezes from the outside in. So a tube of water would still be "wet" inside this column or tube for a short while even when the outside of the water column freezes.

So, the low point drains are not blocked at the upper end of the water column. The water has a place to go as it freezes. That is unlike the outside shower head, which is water in an enclosed space that has no place to go, so it breaks the shower head, or anything else where water would be enclosed without relief.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the low point drains. Here's why...

When water freezes, it freezes from the outside in. So a tube of water would still be "wet" inside this column or tube for a short while even when the outside of the water column freezes.

So, the low point drains are not blocked at the upper end of the water column. The water has a place to go as it freezes. That is unlike the outside shower head, which is water in an enclosed space that has no place to go, so it breaks the shower head, or anything else where water would be enclosed without relief.

Good point. THANKS!

Forester 2451s
Old 05-29-2016, 08:46 AM   #18

For pop-up freezes after we dewinterize, we blow the lines clear with air through the external water connection. Then leave all the faucets open. The tank has enough inertia to weather quick freezes but after valves on external things like the shower, its the most vulnerable. We have a space heater that we put in the compartment after removing the pump access door.
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:44 AM   #19

Don't forget to clear water out of P traps under sinks. This too can and does freeze, and will destroy those fittings.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #20

Also external shower, sprayer or sink.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R