Old 08-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #1

Still no video in main cabin

We brought the 3051s over from storage this weekend so I could do some work on it. There were three things that have never worked since picking up the RV at the end of June.

First, the "alley light" at the step up into the bathroom/bedroom has never worked. It turned out to be a bad positive connection. All I had to do was redo the connection and boom - Alley light is lighting.

Next, the subwoofer was silent. I had all sorts of fears of cable problems etc. But it turned out that the volume knob on the SW was turned all the way to zero. So, all I had to do is crawl under the sofa and crank some volume. While there I adjusted the cutoff frequency too.

Lastly, the dashboard Radio/XMSirius/GPS/DVD has never once worked at displaying video on the overhead TV above the driver compartment. I tried everything. Still no go. And to make it worse you have to remove the entire dashboard facia to get at the double-din unit. I got the dash 1/2 way out and gave up. I couldn't figure out how to completely remove it and I really don't want to anyway.

The Yellow video RCA was falling apart on the TV - it was really cheap quality. I replaced the RCA connector but that didn't help. The video will show on the Jensen in the dash but there's no way to get it to display on the TV.

I HATE taking the RV into a dealer for this little crap. I really doubt they'll know what to do and how to fix it. I'm pretty sure that the A/V cable isn't plugged in to the connector on the back of the unit. I can ALMOST see where the RCA cables go - but not where they terminate. It's VERY crowded back there.

I'd much rather take the RV to a Custom Stereo Installation place. They're experts at this stuff. They'd fix it in no time. If only I could get Forest River to cover the cost. I mean the RV is one-month old.

Oh well.

PS. the Jensen display shows REAR OFF with a red line through it.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:20 AM   #2

I'm really sorry. I know what a pain that is to pull the dash. From the picture of the screen posted you just press the disc button and it should feed the video to the rear TV. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my phone number if you want to talk about pulling the dash.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #3

Hi Steve,
Thanks. I do just press the Disc button but all that happens is the DVD plays on the Jensen's screen. The TV is on A/V but shows No Signal. I emailed ASA Tech support and they explained that the Rear Off button was there to turn the rear TV display off and not an indication that it was off. They said the only "on" was to touch Rear TFT and then Disc. Which is of course what I'm doing.

I have to assume either the RCA cable from the TV to the Jensen is bad or not plugged in.

I'm thinking the best solution is to take it to an Auto Custom Stereo shop in town. I'll phone FR and see if they'll cover this under warranty.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
GM

On the Ford's the dash should not have to come out to pull the stereo...that is only on the Sprinters. Should have (2) U shaped removal tools that will pull it.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:21 AM   #5

Thanks I'll take a look for those in the bags with the manuals. I know there was something in there, but I thought it was a metal trim piece.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:18 AM   #6

Finally got this fixed today. The dash DVD player has never worked properly. The dealer said that the video cable was loose fitting and had disconnected from the back of the unit. I thought that was probably the cause. I just couldn't get the unit out of the dashboard.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:14 AM   #7

2005 37ft Monaco Knight (lemon Lawed)
2008 40ft Monaco Diplomat (too big)
2016 Forester 3011 (ordered June 8th - Born Aug 6) IT'S HERE
vwexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:27 PM   #8

Glad to hear! I was blown away with the amount of wiring into the back of that unit. I can see how that happened. Safe travels!
Old 12-02-2015, 12:52 AM   #9

The service guy put a note on my service order that he taped the two RCA plugs together so they wouldn't come apart again. Forest River uses such cheap RCA cables in these coaches and then routes them all over the place underneath the dash and cabin trim. I'll bet it costs them twice as much to repair these things under warranty than if they just used decent cables at a couple of dollars more cost.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:35 AM   #10
Class C Representative

We have since made a change and are using a HDMI cable now.

PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote