Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2015, 04:08 PM   #1

Stubborn Spots

Washing the camper today finally after 2 trips, and found some spots that we can not get rid of no matter what we used. They are on the protective film on cap. Little on the rest of the film. Anyone know how to get this off?Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1440364057867.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	86636Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1440364088265.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	489.0 KB
ID:	86637

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:24 PM   #2

Yes Mequiars cleaner wax
Old 08-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #3

Guess I that will be next Boso tried bleach, peroxide and magic eraser. Still there

Old 08-24-2015, 11:37 AM   #4

If you have tried all that then the cleaner wax might not work either good luck keep us informed on what does work as I would like to know
Old 08-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #5

Have you looked close enough to ensure the spots are not something under the film?
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:12 PM   #6

Yeah it's bug etching. Read about WD-40 will try that. Might be stuck with it on there

Old 08-24-2015, 10:53 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You can try buffing with compound. Make sure to wax when done as it will strip the wax. I would be afraid to use bleach as it can damage a paint job.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
You can try buffing with compound. Make sure to wax when done as it will strip the wax. I would be afraid to use bleach as it can damage a paint job.
This is on the protective film that is on the overhead. Not on the paint. These bugs have etched into the film. Took 2 trips got home and had several 100 degree days before it cooled off enough to wash it. Have several off these stains all over the film.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:56 AM   #9

The protective film did what it's supposed to do, protect the paint from chips and stains. Nothing will take out all the stains in the plastic film. You could try a magic eraser with some Crud Cutter, but that will likely discolor the film. Only recourse is to replace the film, which would require removing all of it, which is a bit-h.
Never could see using the film. With paint or gelcoat, bugs come right off, and front cap is high enough that I don't worry about chips. That's also the nice thing about having plain white and no full body paint. I don't fret about every little nick, chip, or gug buts.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:29 AM   #10

You are right about the film. The paint cleans up really well. That film is a royal bit_h! Only place on the whole camper that looks bad

Old 08-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #11

Agree with Grumpy. I have a painted body with the film on the overhead. It doesn't go all the way to the top and probably will discolor and become noticeable over time. Even now the paint when waxed is slightly different than waxed film. Little likelihood of chips up high and today's paints can handle bug juice without problems especially with today's waxes.

If I had significant staining I would just remove the film and keep the area well waxed. The lower pieces of film on the hood edge, rear wheel flares and the flat vertical panels behind the doors are helpful since they are in areas of likely chip damage.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:14 PM   #12

Frank & Eve, just for the heck of it I googled up "how to remove stains from 3M clear film", and it looks like your SOL. Even the pro's can't remove a stain that's leached into the film, 3M, Diamondshield, and others. They say that anything strong enough to remove the stain will eat into the film itself.
Going further, removing the film can even damage the paint, and even remove paint depending on how much the paint had "cured" prior to the film install.
You might just have to live with it, and as it's high up on your cap, might not really be that noticable.
Maybe time for a custom "Frank & Eve" vinyl decal to cover it!!!
Grumpy
Old 08-25-2015, 04:25 PM   #13

Yeah Grumpy I googled it too but didn't want to believe it. Didn't see that removing it might harm the paint! Wished it wasn't up there. Anyway I can live with it...I guess we will have too. Thanks for your input. Galveston will be our next trip...no telling what it will look like after going thru Texas bugs!

Old 08-25-2015, 04:39 PM   #14

Probably best to clean the gug butts off as soon as it's convenient. I know there's mucho posts about what to use, but as crazy as it sounds, I've found that Dow Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner is the best and easiest stuff I've ever used. Safe for plastic, acrilic, pretty much anything. Just spray it on, out of direct sun, let it sit for 10 minutes or so, and then just brush off the residue along with water/hose. I carry a can with me, and one of those telescoping handles with a soft brush. Don't have to crawl up with dryer sheets or towels soaked with whatever.
Telling you, it works. I even use it to clean the front of my Lexi when it gets the "bug" treatment. Done it dozens of times now and the front end of the Lexi, and the front cap both look new. Plastic mirror housings look new, and it rinses right off of glass with no streaks.
Grumpy