Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #1

Sunseeker 3170DS Questions

You'd think that we would have the answers to all questions about our 2013 3170DS, but a few have just popped up.

We have been Rv'ing in this rig for 3 years, but really have never had to experience freezing weather. Generally, on our trip south, we pick a weather window and go, not using the on board plumbing or extending slides until we get temperate weather to de-winterize.

So, a couple of questions, since we are camping in the Carolina's for a week or so, we have had temps in the 20's during the night. We disconnect, drain and stow the fresh water hose after dinner. We keep about 10 gallons or so in our fresh water tank for late night use. We set the thermostat to 62F for the night, so far no problems. In exploring the water bay (water pump and filter), I noticed that on the roof of that bay is a black cowl, opening that I saw what appears as heater ducting, if this is correct, does this keep the pump and filter above freezing when using the furnace? If not, does anything else need to be done to keep these components sound in freezing weather?

Also, since we're running the heater at night (or anytime), I tested the CO & LP alarm, which is located on the floor of the kitchen cabinet . It tested ok, but it appears that 2018 is the EOL (end of life date, 5 years) for this unit, is this user replaceable or does a dealer need to do it? Any special instructions or information on this?

Thanks for any help and insight. Always learning.

Tom
Old 01-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #2

As long as you keep your heat on you should be OK as the water areas on the Sunseeker are also heated with ductwork. As for your CO LP alarm, it is hardwired but easily replaceable with minimal DIY skills.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
geezer with gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
As long as you keep your heat on you should be OK as the water areas on the Sunseeker are also heated with ductwork. As for your CO LP alarm, it is hardwired but easily replaceable with minimal DIY skills.
Agreed!

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:20 PM   #4

Yes, the bay's are ducted when the gas furnace is used. At night, open your cabinet doors under sinks. Also, might want to open the outside shower door and check. The outside shower can freeze. I suggest removing the shower hose and get an old tee shirt and pack it around the faucet.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:55 PM   #5

Great advice about the outdoor shower
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:43 PM   #6

Thanks, all is good. Appreciate the info.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:11 PM   #7

I installed 4 thermometers . Fridge, freezer, water pump bay, dump bay. The unit itself monitors the inside ambient temperature. I have been using it for two years with good results. I used Velcro to mount them.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1410.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	160613
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:47 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
I installed 4 thermometers . Fridge, freezer, water pump bay, dump bay. The unit itself monitors the inside ambient temperature. I have been using it for two years with good results. I used Velcro to mount them.
Attachment 160613

Ohhh, I like that!
Old 01-22-2018, 12:04 AM   #9

I ordered the Accurite Freezer/Fridge 2 sensor monitor. With the freezing weather in Georgia lately I moved the sensors to the outside bays and set the furnace to 50 degrees. Everything stayed warm.
I do wish I had seen the 4 sensor before ordering mine. I like it.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:28 PM   #10

I have a 2012 3170DS and store for winter. When adding on a winterizing kit I noticed the open ducting in the tank area. I didn't realize that it was for heating the tank area and thought it maybe had disconnected from a wall. After taking out of storage last spring and noticing a strange smell I ended up finding a rat in the bottom burner area of the furnace. Due to the size I couldn't figure out how it was able to get into the furnace burner area. It had to get in by the uncovered duct line for heating the tank area. Before storing it this winter I zip tied some screening around the end of the duct.

All last year I swear I could smell that rat every time the furnace kicked in while camping...
Treadltly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3170, sunseeker