Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #1

Tech questions

Hi all,

I am new to the Foreest River Forum and I thought it would be a great venue to get techinal insight and support from those wo might have alreaady experience the same difficulties I am having.

First,my name is Randy and within the past two weeks I purchase a new Forester 2861 DS, which I love, but I cannot get any assistance from the dealer about system questions I have (I guess that's what I get for buyer from an out of state dealer; out of sight ot of mind).

Anyway, the unit came with an in dash Magnadyne stero receiver, which I guess was a manufacturer install and I cannot for the life of me figure out how the get the bluetooth function to connect with my phone. I am following all of the simple directions, but to no success.

The second thing I am trying to figure out is how can I get the Sirius satelite function installed (after the fact)? The unit was suppsoed to be pre-equipped and satelite radoi ready, but mean doesn't have the satelite icon on the Home page screen, and the dealer keeps ignoring my inquiries.

The third thing is, the RV comes with a spare tire, but I have yet to find where the jack and tire changing tools (lug wrench) is fidden - any insight?

Thanks,

Randy.
rmartorano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I can help with the Sirius question.

"Satellite Ready" typically does not mean it has the receiver installed; just that the remote can control the radio tuner if you install it.

You will need to buy and install one of these to make your radio work on Sirius.

Satellite-Ready Products - Shop - SiriusXM Radio
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #3

Welcome!

1. Call Mike oral at Magnadyne. They can walk you through the Bluetooth set-up
800-638-3600
Also have them instruct you yo insure you have the last eat updates installed.
2. I would go to a local Auto Audio store. The unit requires removal from dash and Sirus installed as well as antenna located for optimum reception. Mark or Mile would also be helpful here. They are VERY GOOD.
3. Trust me you do not want to change a tire. Have road service and supply tire if needed.
Anything else, the people here are great and very knowledgeable.
Again welcome.
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Site Team

Welcome randy. Hope you get your issues resolved. Good people here love sharing info.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Plain Old Member

On the changing of the spare tire, we just use the big foot jacks with blocks, and if changing a rear, chock the front wheels. We also carry a large hyd bottle jack just in case. We carry a 3/4" breaker bar, extension and the appropriate deep socket for lug and spare removal. Can't remember the socket size, but I believe it works on the nut on the spare too. Some opt for road side service, and I can't say I wouldn't do that, but these wheels / tires are smaller than an F-350's, and way smaller than the 22.5" on our previous class A. On the A, we carried a 4:1 torque multiplier which made for easy loosening / tightening of the lugs. We also carry a snap-on torque wrench for proper lug torque. So maybe I'm a little overkill, but my tool assortment comes from previous events and experiences. Definitely not getting us in a bind in the middle of nowhere.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #6

Hey Big John,

I like the torque multiplier thing. How do you get the spare tire down?

I don't think I can do it by myself.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #7

I have all the tools and breaker bars and a 20 ton short throw bottle jack but I can't get over the hump of the getting the spare down. It's just chained up.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #8

I have a #3051S and don't plan on changing my tires if flat. That is why I have a Coach-Net policy to handle those times. Also, I can not carry the extra weight of a hydraulic jack and other tools required.

Best buy for the Sirius Tuner Antenna Kit #SXV200 is Amazon.com. Make sure you install the antenna on the roof of your RV, not on the dash.

Amazon.com: SiriusXM SXV200v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner for SiriusXM-Ready Car Stereo Receivers: Car Electronics

Blue tooth function works for me. Make sure you turn the Blue Tooth on in your phones settings.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trwmodela View Post
Make sure you install the antenna on the roof of your RV,
Did you install yours yourself? I need to install mine and I'm looking for tips for where to install it and how to access the roof with the coax.

Wes
Old 07-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Got this in the mail yesterday

Sirius Connect Universal Vehicle Tuner SCC1 | TSS-Radio

Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #11

Dealer installed

I had the RV Dealer install mine before taking delivery. My #3051S has the bunk over the cab. The antenna was mounted on the roof just above the passengers side bunk window.

2013 Forester #3051SF
Old 07-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #12

Concerning the jack question there is none provided on FR units. Seems some think it is a safety concern with inexperienced owners changing a tire on a 14K lb vehicle. The spare is provided and bolted and chained up which is more than some RVs. I took my spare off in my garage and it is not easy even with a floor jack on a smooth floor. I'm sure the service guy would not be happy crawling under in the rain or on dirt to get it.

I bought online a new takeout Econoline spare tire winch and installed it in place of the bolt and chain. I also purchased a new factory takeout Econoline jack, lug wrench and instruction sheet for an E450. The jack handle fits into the winch so all I have to do is crank the spare down and slide it out. The jack is mechanical and lighter than a hydraulic bottle. Some RV manufacturer say they are not supplied from Ford but you see these new takeouts often advertised on Ebay with an Elkhart, IN. location. I assume they are coming out of new Fords for Box truck conversions.
I understand that coachnet or the three year roadside assistance that comes with the Ford warranty would cover tire changing but I like to be able to take care of things myself if circumstances warrant.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
Plain Old Member

Well, X2 what ATVer said. I'm still stuck getting the tire down the hard way, but it is still doable. Had that same plan with the crank set up on the back burner. To each his own as mentioned before, but I don't understand why it's a big deal to change a tire on one either. These things are small compared to a class A, and people change tires on 40+ foot 16k pound fifth wheels all day long. Guess I've always done everything myself and really don't care to have anybody else touch it. The quality of work, pride, and give a $@&# has withered away over the years. But, if one chooses to pay for the service, I respect that. If I get physically disabled at some point in life, I'll be paying someone to do a lot of things.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #14
Commercial Member

It is correct (at least for FR) the jack, spare tire carrier and lug wrench are not included from Ford if you get what they call the "RV prep package". That "take off" might be from a company that builds B-Vans, so they buy the entire van package and not a cutaway. With the RV package Ford deletes the side view mirrors, radio, flooring, seats, etc.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #15

I will look into purchasing the tire winch, jack and crank. My biggest concern is carrying extra weight. My #3051S is heavy without any cargo, water or passengers.

2013 Forester #3051SF
Old 07-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trwmodela View Post
I will look into purchasing the tire winch, jack and crank. My biggest concern is carrying extra weight. My #3051S is heavy without any cargo, water or passengers.
The 3051 is loaded up with a lot of stuff so it is heavy and you are correct to worry about that. The tire winch doesn't add any weight because you will not need to use the big chain or the cross bar hold down anymore. If you already have Big Foot jacks you could use them in manually to jack up the wheel. All you would need to add is a lug wrench which will add a few pounds.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:08 AM   #17

Spare Tire Equipment

I am definitely interested in purchasing the spare tire cable winch, tool to operate the winch and a lug wrench. My Toyoda Tacoma has a cable winch to lower and raise the spare.

Does anyone have a good source/link for the necessary equipment? My Ford E-450 is a 2013 model year.

2013 Forester #3051SF
Old 07-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #18

One place is ebay. Search for "Econoline Jack" and you should find some. Just checked now and there are two complete kits for $55 plus $15 shipping, left at the vendor in Indiana where I got mine. Just make sure you get the correct lug nut wrench. They come in 7/8" or 1 " .
Old 09-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #19

I just ordered the Sirius-XM Tuner kit for installation into my 3011DS. Does anyone who has installed the antenna have advice for routing and placement?? This may be in the wrong forum, but... if it is let me know and I will repost.
DennyH is offline   Reply With Quote