Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #1

I have held off from posting on this forum, but I can't seem to get any help from Forest River. Even the woman who answers the phone is not pleasant. Long story short, we had a fire in our 2016 Forrester. The factory wanted it back to be sure it was not a defect. It was deemed there wasn't a defect and so insurance covered the repair. It was repaired right at the factory. We still are not sure what caused it. It was in an outside compartment. $15000 claim. Anyhow, in emailing several times and speaking on the phone with Dan Evans, I asked them to please winterize it as we are in NJ and it would be coming back in late November and it was at their factory which also could've had freezing weather while it was there. I received an email from Dan Evans, copied below:
On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 1:52 PM, Dan Evans [email address removed by site team] >
The check should be made out to Forest River, Inc. and sent to me at the below address.

I do not smell any smoke smell and have ran the Ozone machine a couple times in it as I was suggested. We also wiped down the walls and ceiling. The RV is winterized. The RV has a porcelain toilet as you requested.

Thanks for the address and we will ship the RV back to that address. The transport company will contact 24 hours before delivery to schedule a mutually accepted time to deliver.

Dan Evans
We are now getting ready to leave for Key West for our first big trip in the RV. This was the one thing that my husband who retired after 42 years at the same company requested. A camper and a trip to Key West. We took it to our local service mechanic that we have used for years for all of our vehicles to have him go over the RV before we left and de-winterize it since it is going to be above freezing for the next few days. It appears that Forest River did NOT winterize it. Or they left water in the filter because the filter housing is blown to pieces. The mechanic can't check any of the other lines because without that filter he can't get any water pressure. Dan Evans is out of the office and I have left 2 other voicemails for 2 other people, with no response. I have sent emails with no response. I realize it has been a short period of time, but I was hoping that with our time frame of leaving on Thursday, this was their error, that someone would try to compensate for the sour taste in my mouth and send out the part over night so my mechanic can get it repaired and see if there is other damage. There was no anti freeze in the vehicle. It is possible they blew out the lines, but obviously there was still water in the filter and without that, he can't check the remaining lines. If I do not have the full use of my camper for this trip and no running water, I am not going to be a happy camper. Hoping that this post may get the attention of someone. This is not our first Forest River product, but with the service I received from the beginning from headquarters (this hasn't been the first issue, lots of other sloppy mistakes) this will be my LAST. And I am the type that if I am unhappy with the service a company gives, I let everyone know. I have not posted before regarding other issues I have had, I have worked behind the scenes and given Forest River a chance to correct the issues. This is over the top ridiculous now. If anyone has any higher up contacts (the receptionist, Cara Lee isn't real helpful or friendly either) please let me know. I haven't been able to reach anyone and I've sent emails to several people and called and left voice mails.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #2

If you don't get response from FR, you could get your mechanic to by-pass filter until it is fixed properly or use and external filter...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ass-96986.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
Old 01-24-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
2012 Solera

I would go to Home Depot, buy a filter, and install - or have the trusted mechanic install. Maybe save the bills and send to FR requesting reimbursement - but I would get on with my plans.
Water filters are cheap, and there is nothing special about the one installed in my Solera. Suspect same is true about the one in your MH.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:41 PM   #4

Thanks Fonzie. I just spoke with him and that's what his plan is just so we can get on the road. So disappointed. It's bad enough when you buy a low price item and get bad service, but to buy something with money that people saved for years so they can enjoy their retirement and be treated like this, is beyond despicable.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
I would go to Home Depot, buy a filter, and install - or have the trusted mechanic install. Maybe save the bills and send to FR requesting reimbursement - but I would get on with my plans.
Water filters are cheap, and there is nothing special about the one installed in my Solera. Suspect same is true about the one in your MH.
Its actually the entire housing, not just the filter. I don't really care about the filter, I drink bottled water anyway, but I want to wash my hands, take showers and flush the toilet. He's a good mechanic and is on his way to get what he needs as he feels that some of the connections for the pipes may have some issues also.

Just disappointed that a manager who has been doing the same job for many years, supposedly went over the RV before sending it back and yet, something as simple as this gets by him. Antifreeze is $4 a gallon. And then to call the company and advise that it was urgent and not get a response, is disappointing to say the least. The entire several month long repair was nothing but a CYA in every response. I am now finding out that there were modifications made in that compartment. Like a heat shield added where there was fiber glass because there is an exhaust of some type in there. The plot is thickening and my next call is to my insurance company and their adjuster so they can do some investigating of their own.

But believe me, I am not the type to let stuff like this ruin a trip. I work hard for my vacation time and we will have a good time. Much more important issues going on than this. When I return, Forest Rivers feet will be held to the fire because I am fine with mistakes being made, but then you go above and beyond to correct them. Or if you are a good company, you do.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #6

I feel for you and am sorry that you are having problems. I just wanted to point out that very few people connected with FR monitor this site and in reality, no one may see your posts. I hope you can get it fixed, I hope I am wrong about this comment and I hope you have a great time on your trip. Good luck.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:07 PM   #7

I echo your feelings eith Forest River we had a ton of issues with our new 2015 Crusader 5th wheel and every issue we identified wadceventualky repaired but had the trailer been given a proper PDI most of the issues would have been caught at that time.
Issues were hot water tank not connected, wallpaper krinkled, ceiling trim coming loose, interior doors not latching defective mattress so on and so forth.
I will not be purchasing another new trailer or RV from Forest River.
I beleive my letter to Good Sam helped me get some action up until thne it seemed that no body dealer or Forest River wascaccepting responsibility.
Living the dream with Carol my best friend/Wife for 50+ years2011 F-250 6.2ltr 2 WD ext cab / 2015 Crusader 350 touring edition
Old 01-24-2017, 01:10 PM   #8

winterizing

You have already gotten the correct answer, but I am going to reiterate it because you came back saying it was the entire housing.
1. a simple bypass, gets you testing the system for further leaks. Just dig around in the tool box, or parts box that every mechanic has, and find a fitting that will bridge the opposite sides of the filter. I drain my filter by removing the bottom, and leave it in the compartment, with the 3 inch piece of pipe that connects both sides attached, and blow out all lines that way.
That lets him test the system.
2. replace the entire unit, and be done with it. It's cheap, compared to the misery of dealing with those idiots.
3. This is a good time to completely replace the unit with a larger one, and put it in a milk crate outside your unit. the only time you need it is to filter city water hook-up, and you can use it when you fill your fresh water tank. No more leaks inside the unit from that anyway.

By the way, you know it's not just Forest River? All RV companies are abusive, negligent and incompetent.

Good luck and best wishes.
Last thought: this forum RULES!
Old 01-24-2017, 01:14 PM   #9

Sorry to hear about your difficulties, but glad insurance picked up the tab. So, you got the unit back in November and didn't verify it was winterized when you inspected the repair and modifications? Seems like you have some responsibility in this. If all that is wrong is a broken filter housing after your ordeal, I would just replace it and go on. Did FR screw up and should they pay for freezing damages? Probably, but from what I see you didn't verify winterization was sufficient before damage was done. Just my take on it.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 01-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #10

I was waiting for the "this is your fault" reaponse. Not buying it. This is our first rv, we are not mechanical by any means and when I got an email it was winterized by someone of authority at FR, we had several conversations about it and he's been with FR in a lead position for many years, I depended on his professionalism, word and expertise. I didn't expect that I should have to pay for my mechanic to double check the FACTORIES work. Live and learn. We did look at the compartment and bathroom that was repaired due to the fire and all seemed to be in order from the best we could tell without being able to run water since it was supposedly winterized. As I said, mistakes will be made. We all make them every day but they should've stepped up knowing we were leaving in 2 days and offered what help they could. Lesson learned.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #11
Class C Representative

Our warranty Department and Managers are aware of the situation. You will be hearing from them if you have not already.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Old 01-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #12

Even if it was winterized it's common for the filter to still have water in the threads. Our first motor home after the first winter had a broken filter. Since then I remove the canister for the winter and no problems since.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #13

Forest River

I had a problem with the seals on the roof on mine. Bought it 4 months ago and it is a 2017 model. Called forest river and I had to send them pictures and he ends up paying for the whole repair. I'm so shocked they treated you that way!
Old 01-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #14

I've also had one of those canisters break even after the unit was winterized. I ran to Camping World and bought one the same day for less than $50. I completely remove mine now too after winterizing.

I am also surprised by the factories response. They did major repairs on my RV after the warranty had expired because they determined it was there fault during the build. They also offered to send parts if I found anything else when I got it back from them. Sorry to hear about all the trouble that you had.
2021 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL
Old 01-24-2017, 02:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
Our warranty Department and Managers are aware of the situation. You will be hearing from them if you have not already.
I haven't heard from them and I called at 10am. I was hoping they could offer some guidance or get the parts out overnight. This was a major oversight and to say I'm disappointed and furious is an understatement. We have been so happy with it up until the fire and felt lucky that we didn't really have any warranty issues. I know that when you purchase a camper, its not going to be perfectly put together. We all know how quotas work and big business. But service after the fact is essential for continued patronage and this has not been good. I do appreciate your response Joshua and looking into it to be sure that at least they are aware of it. Thanks for that.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Sorry for your trouble, as it sound like you put faith in what you were being told. Not saying it was possible that the unit was not winterized, but also that it was and the following happened.

One thing that several people, including the factory to do not realize when winterizing, is if you leave antifreeze in the canister, the canister will shatter. Reason is that the canister is made of hard plastic material, antifreeze will expand at certain below freezing temperatures, so with expansion of the antifreeze and no expansion room with the canister, the canister will crack, explored, will be destroyed when you go to use the system. So a solid FYI, if you or even your service center is winterizing your unit, have them drain the filter canister when completed.

Our service department has seen this several times, from the factory, from customers, and yes we have made that mistake as well. If FR did winterize, then the rest of the unit should be OK, it would be just putting a New Canister on it.

Good Luck and Safe Travels.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #17

Unfortunately, when he went to drain it, there was no antifreeze in the system. That is my real concern, that the rest of the pipes are broken and not just the canister
Old 01-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #18
Commercial Member

After we have complete a winterization, because of the expansion, we open all the faucets, then take off the low point water line drain caps (or open their valves) and allow the antifreeze to drain from the system.. The main spot that he may look and this would certainly identify if it was winterized is the toilet. See if there is pint residue on the knife valve flap. If so then antifreeze was pumped through the system.
Hope it has for you.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:27 PM   #19

Well unfortunately for Forest River and us, no one blew out the lines either. My mechanic got a new canister and we have leaks that he has found so far in the toilet and outdoor shower and very low water pressure. Still no call back.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandb26 View Post
Well unfortunately for Forest River and us, no one blew out the lines either. My mechanic got a new canister and we have leaks that he has found so far in the toilet and outdoor shower and very low water pressure. Still no call back.
Sorry for your troubles. JMHO, A FR rep responded to this thread in post #11. Might want to give them the opportunity to respond.
Closed Thread

Tags
forest river, service