Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #1

Testament to FR parts used?

Came back from boondocking on Labor Day weekend where through a little (very little) water conservation, 6 of us (3 boys and 3 girls) managed to make the whole trip on one full fresh water tank.

On my way home I dumped at a station and ran the tank empty charging the blackwater tank prior to letting the 3011DS sit.

Two nights ago, I heard some noise outside but couldn't really tell where it was coming from. I live in the city where noise is too common. I also had the fan on in the living room vent so thought maybe I was hearing that.

What I discovered today was that I left the waterpump on for some reason and it had run conitunously for at least 48 hours if not longer.

I quickly shut it off and added a 1/3 tank of fresh and tested it. It seems to work fine. I know older pumps could not stand running dry for long - especially not 48 hours or more. This seems to be one tough pump.

Time will tell whether or not it will fail early due to my mistake, but its working for now.
EXTremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTremist View Post
Came back from boondocking on Labor Day weekend where through a little (very little) water conservation, 6 of us (3 boys and 3 girls) managed to make the whole trip on one full fresh water tank.

On my way home I dumped at a station and ran the tank empty charging the blackwater tank prior to letting the 3011DS sit.

Two nights ago, I heard some noise outside but couldn't really tell where it was coming from. I live in the city where noise is too common. I also had the fan on in the living room vent so thought maybe I was hearing that.

What I discovered today was that I left the waterpump on for some reason and it had run conitunously for at least 48 hours if not longer.

I quickly shut it off and added a 1/3 tank of fresh and tested it. It seems to work fine. I know older pumps could not stand running dry for long - especially not 48 hours or more. This seems to be one tough pump.

Time will tell whether or not it will fail early due to my mistake, but its working for now.
The new sur-flo and I think that is what you had will not burnout do to running out of water, but by saying that 48 hrs. is a pretty long
time. I do think being that it ran okay and shut off when the water you added got pressurized and the units works, you are right it's a pretty tough pump...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #3

We had an interesting event last winter. I forgot my water pressure regulator when I set up. As soon as I took a shower, I knew something was different. I let DW have her shower B4 installing the regulator. Nothing bad seemed to happen to the Georgetown.

Later I talked to a neighbor in the campground with a leaky water filter in her Winnebago. She said it started when her husband forgot to install the pressure regulator.

Another person in the campground with a Holiday Rambler DP overheard us and confessed that he didn't know he needed one until a water connection failed and the RV Repair Tech advised him.

So, although some people talk about Forest River using cheap components, here are two other brands who had problems while I didn't.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts