Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 01:12 PM   #1

The new Forester 2501ts (2017.5)

We just took ownership of our (2017.5 production line) Forester 2501ts.

I'll start with the downers so I can end on a high note. The one thing that I liked about FR RV's was the quality raised panel cabinets in the beautiful cherry wood, especially on the refrigerator. The new models have a dark wood they call "rustic cherry" but it's very dark. The cabinetry is now flat panel which made me sad. The refrigerator is stainless steel along with the microwave and fan. (I hate stainless steel) The outdoor speakers have been moved from the coach wall to two 3 inchers built into the Solera awning frame. They are HORRIBLE! Seriously, they sound like speakers from a handheld radio from 1970. Just awful. I will not be using them. I will see if they can be replaced but I don't think so. If they break, it's $100 each to replace them but I'm telling you, I wouldn't buy these from the Dollar Store! There is no longer a sub-woofer in the coach so we will be adding our own. And you can no longer get a sofa or recliners as an option which we wanted so that will also be an extra expense but we already knew that when we ordered it. It doesn't come with the Dyson vacuum anymore either.

We just put a 1000 watt sine wave inverter in yesterday which was a fairly easy task. We will be replacing the shower head and tap with higher quality Oxygenics.

I cracked my head on the back slide on day 2. I may need a helmet for setup and break down.

It does have the new computerized One Control (Lippert)panel for everything. I like it but I'm worried about a malfunction. If it breaks, we're screwed. No control for slides, awning, generator, lights, water heater, propane or water pump. If your camp is setup and it doesn't work for whatever reason, you can't put your slides or awning in to break camp. So the jury is still out on this one.

The shower floor is solid. They have reinforced and insulated it more. Everything seems to be working as it should. The roof is Dicored well. No water leaks anywhere. The front stereo is a Pioneer and sounds great with many options. The back stereo is still the Jensen and sounds good. 32" Insignia TV has a nice picture and will do just fine. The counter tops are a little different but nothing to write home about. The new Waste Master sewage system is nice as well. The bed is comfortable and easy to make. The leveling system is great. It now comes with the 360 Siphon RV Fume Extractor already installed. That made me happy because I was going to replace the standard vents with these. Saved $50 and having to work on the roof. (Not a fan of that).The rig feels very solid. The ride is much nicer than I was expecting and Bill said it handled very nicely.

Over all, we are pleased with it and are looking forward to our shakedown trip. We know we can't compare "Jenny" (Run, Forest. Run!) to Bonnie Ann (our 2003 40' Beaver diesel pusher) but there are many benefits to downsizing and updating that we are happy to embrace.

So begins our journey with Jenny!

(If you know anyone who's looking for a nice 40' diesel pusher, I know where there's one for sale!)
Medic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:22 PM   #2

Congratulations on your "New RV "... also welcome aboard. I also just bought a 2017 2861 DS ... Man I just love mine it has the Grill and Dyson ...and Cherry wood on the inside of mine. Make sure you check the air in the tires max 85psi and rear air bags max is 100 psi in the rear bags and have the front end aligned. Have fun.. you will have those little gremlins. Drive safe

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
wvufan1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:12 PM   #3

Maybe you can tell me, does your new 2017.5 still have the windshield mounted rear/side view monitor? Or is that something else they up(down) graded? The dash mounted version on new Sunseeker really sucks. Thanks
Dovidas1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:21 PM   #4

I have a 2016 Forester 2801. I must say a lot of reasons I went with the Forester are the same things they changed.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:26 PM   #5

New 2501TS

Our new 2501 has the Rear and side view camera appear on the dash mounted Pioneer sound system head. The side view cameras are an add on that used to be a paid option... the jury is still out on over all usability....
Old 10-18-2016, 06:40 PM   #6

New mod for future GTS 2801

I guess the first mod for my new GTS, when it is delivered in December, will be installing a mirror mounted monitor. Hope it won't be too hard to disconnect cables from the Pioneer in the dash. I already found a source for just the monitor by itself, Rearviewsafety.com. I agree that they have just taken away some of the features that made the Forester appear better than the Sunseeker. Note to Josh Cavitt, we are not happy campers!
Dovidas1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:58 PM   #7

The 2016 Forester uses the mirror mounted monitor from rvs systems. . They are at rvssystems.com
Old 10-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #8
2012 Solera

My mirror mounted rear view camera came off the windshield, pulling out a chunk of glass (about a 3/8 by 1/4 inch chunk) when I drove over a cattle guard in Banff at low speed (less than 15 mph). I like the separate monitor, but I now think the monitor is quite heavy for mirror mount. Mine is now on the dash, left corner, top velcro'd to the windshield.
FYI
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:20 PM   #9
Citrus County, Fl.

Reading about all these items that have been changed for the worse or downgraded/eliminated I am glad I bought my 2016 when I did. Are they putting in the plastic toilets now too?
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:45 AM   #10
Class C Representative

As always people are hesitant of change There are tons of benefits from this new coach. The product overall looks great. We've brought it up to speed with the Real Estate industry by using modern wood designs, finishes, and products.

The multiplexing system uses it's own Wi-Fi module installed in the coach while connecting to an app on your phone or the pad inside the coach. If the pad at anytime fails you will always be able to use the app on your phone because of this Wi-Fi module.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider1345106
Reading about all these items that have been changed for the worse or downgraded/eliminated I am glad I bought my 2016 when I did. Are they putting in the plastic toilets now too?
Actually, yes, Rider, The toilet IS plastic. But I will say I'm very happy with the flushing mechanism. The rep told me that you are able to fix this toilet but if ANYTHING goes wrong on the porcelain toilets, they have to be replaced.

Josh, I understand that people think they want stainless steel. It's all the rage. But marketing might want to talk with people that actually own/maintain them. They're horrid to keep clean. (I still haven't removed the plastic off the refrigerator front.) And the raised panels are what set FR apart from the competition. Everybody is offering the euro look. My daddy used to always say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Just curious, what happens if the OneControl interface modem/module stops working?
Old 10-19-2016, 09:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic1 View Post
Actually, yes, Rider, The toilet IS plastic. But I will say I'm very happy with the flushing mechanism. The rep told me that you are able to fix this toilet but if ANYTHING goes wrong on the porcelain toilets, they have to be replaced.

Josh, I understand that people think they want stainless steel. It's all the rage. But marketing might want to talk with people that actually own/maintain them. They're horrid to keep clean. (I still haven't removed the plastic off the refrigerator front.) And the raised panels are what set FR apart from the competition. Everybody is offering the euro look. My daddy used to always say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Just curious, what happens if the OneControl interface modem/module stops working?
Your comments make me want to seek out a 2016! I'm very concerned about this OneControl interface that controls everything. Software becomes outdated quickly, and if it's anything like my past computers that eventually became affected by malware and viruses and became too outdated to use, what then regarding this OneControl feature? What happens when there is a malfunction down the road? Also, I have stainless steel in my home, and yes it's a nice modern look as long as it's never touched! I still can't figure out how to get the fingerprints off my stainless steel refrigerator!
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:30 PM   #13

Just read that the the OneTouch myRV®Tablet is Android based. That really has me worried. Also, this functions through wifi. What if you don't have the wifi available? How do you operate all the motor home systems then?
Old 10-19-2016, 11:48 PM   #14

I know most of us hate change but I have a 2016 and I purchased my Forester for many reasons. Im always for improvements. Soft touch ceiling and porcelain toilet were two biggies over the coachmen concord. . You will never please everyone because people's taste varies so much but people also know what's higher end and lower end.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #15
Class C Representative

If you walk into any newly remodeled or built home you will see flat panel cabinetry, stainless steel appliances and similar features we are offering.

If a tire is low on tread but hasn't gone flat does that mean you don't change it? No. You get new tires.

The difference between "High-end" and "Low-end" product is easy to identify but that isn't the case here. As Medic1 said "Everyone is offering the Euro look" and "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" both statements signal a resistance to change. We aren't offering a Euro look. You still have your Cherry wood, your counter tops are still providing the same function, you're still going to get the same function out of your coach with a modernized touch. We've provided fail safes for all of our features in case something goes wrong.

The Wi-Fi module isn't searching for Wi-Fi, it is the Wi-Fi. You connect your phone using a password only you can access to control your coach.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Old 10-20-2016, 08:06 AM   #16

We had a saying at work. They always complain about change but will rant that things are always the same. Lol human nature.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #17

Well, I'd like to make something clear. My comments about the new 2017 features aren't so much about resistance to change but more a matter of personal taste. I think most people would agree they like to be able to make their own choices. For example, why not offer options as in the ability to be able to choose between having the stainless steel refrigerator or the wood panel? I also do see a major difference between the cherry wood that was used in the past and the current rustic cherry wood cabinetry. The rustic cherry wood does not resemble cherry wood at all.

Most RVers have their motor homes for many years and have to live with choices that were made for them, so I feel it would be nice to be able to choose between more options than what are currently available. And where does a woman's point of view come in to all these decisions about interior design? Most of the time I walk into new motor homes and know immediately a woman's point of view is clearly absent regarding interior color schemes and design. Sorry guys.

Joshua, you seem a little defensive regarding the decisions that were made for the new coaches. I feel like you are discounting some valuable feedback here telling us that we are just a bunch of complainers who are unwilling to accept change. I'm a little insulted by some of your comments.

Also, I still have not received an adequate answer regarding the myRV system. Is there a way to manually work all the RV systems without using the myRV software?
Old 10-20-2016, 11:41 AM   #18

Hello Joshua,

Regarding this: "The Wi-Fi module isn't searching for Wi-Fi, it is the Wi-Fi. You connect your phone using a password only you can access to control your coach", and "The multiplexing system uses it's own Wi-Fi module installed in the coach while connecting to an app on your phone or the pad inside the coach. If the pad at anytime fails you will always be able to use the app on your phone because of this Wi-Fi module", what about people who do not have smart phones or if for some reason there is no power available to power the wifi? Can you help me understand how the functions that are controlled by the pad/wifi/smart phone would be available without a smart phone to take the place of the pad inside the coach if the pad were to fail or become inoperable? Surely there must be a "manual" way to accomplish the tasks?

Thank you.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #19
Class C Representative

Camperroo: I've never called any one "a bunch of complainers" and have always valued feedback. We try to customize our work as much as possible but we can only do so much. This is why we offer two lines, Sunseeker and Forester.

Kayleysmom: If there were no power to the module there would be no power to the Rocker buttons either. On the schwintek slides you need to disengage the motors to push the slide in and out. The Lippert above floor slide can be cranked in with a socket or wrench.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post

Kayleysmom: If there were no power to the module there would be no power to the Rocker buttons either. On the schwintek slides you need to disengage the motors to push the slide in and out. The Lippert above floor slide can be cranked in with a socket or wrench.
No power means no power - got it. (Should have thought of this! )

Thanks Joshua.

Tags
2501, forester