Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2017, 11:55 AM   #1

Things to check on a new 3051S

I could use some help we purchased a new 3051S at an RV show and when we picked it up the walk thru was a joke. We gave them a week to fix 5 things before pick up and they fixed 1, said they had to order parts. So it has to go back for warranty work soon. My job today is to go over it and check for any other issues that need to be addressed. My list so far is not bad course we haven't put water in it yet, so if you had any leaks please let me know where to look.

Please let me know of any problems areas you had I might not think to check for.

I hate to put water in it yet and then have to send it 2 hours North for service in this freaky weather. I would rather it sit under cover and winterized till I'm sure it's safe not to freeze. We have an April trip so I think we will be checking soon so it can get in for service before. Some of the stories I read about warranty work are scary.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #2

On mine all the drains from the kitchen and bath room sinks were loose. Would have made a nice mess if hadn't caught this. Also the water feed to the toilet , the clamp wasn't crimped pipe just pushed on. Good luck with yours hope you don't have too many problems.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:45 PM   #3

I used checklists I put together from this forum actually.

For the water since our used one was winterized as well, they hooked up large container of the pink stuff to auction side of water pump and we fired up all faucets etc. Will have to flush more in spring but verified all for leaks etc.

All items we found were fixed before we would sign off and do any paperwork.

If you need the checklist I used pm me and I can send the converted PDF copy.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #4

Things to check on a new 3051S

Check the caulking around all the hatches,windows and lights. Mine was terrible but I cleaned mine up. Didn't want it sitting at a dealership forever to do a 2 hour job. Roof seals were great though

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:36 PM   #5

When we picked ours up we had a good walk thru and found no issues. After a couple of weeks we found a small leak in a window. This was repaired quickly. One of the rails on the pantry broke and after the part was ordered repaired quickly. I think the design has changed on the pantry I think this was a major improvement. Too late for me, but I added two more sets of rails and fixed the problem (more support). Overall we are real pleased with our purchase.
5hfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:50 PM   #6

Thank you all so much for the things to look for, so far I haven't added to my original list everything is looking pretty good.

I do worry (way too much) about the water pump. I was always told to never turn the water pump on without water in the tank. I'm concerned because this unit has the keypad and I sure hope kids playing with it at the RV show didn't turn it on. Should I be concerned?

So glad I didn't buy this unit on Thursday at the show when we came back on Sunday to purchase I was really wanting to kick people & unruly kids out after we signed the paperwork. I believe my refrigerator door handle suffered some abuse from the show, it's on my list one side is like a loose tooth.

ETA: At the show on the refrig there was lots of paperwork on the correct way to remove the plastic, which didn't involve just pulling it off. When we picked it up you could tell from the plastic under the handles they just pulled it off and the paperwork was gone. Which could be my problem.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow57 View Post
I could use some help we purchased a new 3051S at an RV show and when we picked it up the walk thru was a joke. We gave them a week to fix 5 things before pick up and they fixed 1, said they had to order parts. So it has to go back for warranty work soon. My job today is to go over it and check for any other issues that need to be addressed. My list so far is not bad course we haven't put water in it yet, so if you had any leaks please let me know where to look.
If they hadn't fix all the issues when you went to pick it up would have told them I'll be back when you have it all ready to go. How do you know if they even ordered any parts? What parts? So now there is no urgency to get it right, they've got your money. When you take it back for the parts installation be prepared to have it sit there for a while. If the PDI was a joke just what makes you think the service will be any better. I hope my concerns about your experience doesn't upset you but I've read about this kind of thing far too often and I hope you get everything fixed promptly. Since you are in a cold clime I hope they show you how to winterize and dewinterize.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:37 PM   #8

I do worry (way too much) about the water pump. I was always told to never turn the water pump on without water in the tank. I'm concerned because this unit has the keypad and I sure hope kids playing with it at the RV show didn't turn it on. Should I be concerned?

Don't worry about the pump its designed to be able to run without water in it. As for the handles , easy to remove them and replace if necessary, you may want to try it yourself , they aren't the most reliable design .
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:15 PM   #9

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
If they hadn't fix all the issues when you went to pick it up would have told them I'll be back when you have it all ready to go. How do you know if they even ordered any parts? What parts? So now there is no urgency to get it right, they've got your money. When you take it back for the parts installation be prepared to have it sit there for a while. If the PDI was a joke just what makes you think the service will be any better. I hope my concerns about your experience doesn't upset you but I've read about this kind of thing far too often and I hope you get everything fixed promptly. Since you are in a cold clime I hope they show you how to winterize and dewinterize.
We were trading one in and the parts they had to order were a door for the TV jack area and a knob for the skylight shade (they insist on replacing the whole thing said knob was welded on). I too was a little worried but I got an email today that the parts were in, so I guess we will fill with water & finish checking out and send it in. I too have read the horror stories but so far our issues aren't that bad. We had an older man whom I don't think ever owned a MH do our walk thru, service manager said he would get it taken care of.

My plan is to send an email (which didn't work with my salesman upon pick up) with all my issues before hand. I now need a knob for the Truck side mirror adjustment, we can only adjust right side. I'm sure that won't be in stock, so they can order it before we take it.

I hope they will take care of everything and not ruin our camping season. I will be a mean little witch if they don't.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:18 PM   #10

Check surfaces

We picked up our new 3051S last May and the problems we had were mostly scratched surfaces. There were quite a few scratches in the solid surface kitchen countertop, scratches in the vanity mirror and the door of the microwave/convection oven was badly scratched. The dealer made note of these items and Forest River paid for the kitchen countertop to be polished out. They also sent a new microwave/conv oven which we had swapped out by a local RV repair shop. The back sofa cushion was also damaged with a scratch/gouge in the ultraleather, so the factory sent us a new back cushion.
Just be sure to check all the surfaces for these kind of things. I don't think the factory workers are very careful when they assemble these units.
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:19 PM   #11

Check under the head of the bed. I had loose water connections there and the ice machine valve under the fridge.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #12

Quote:

Please let me know of any problems areas you had I might not think to check for.

I hate to put water in it yet and then have to send it 2 hours North for service in this freaky weather. I would rather it sit under cover and winterized till I'm sure it's safe not to freeze. We have an April trip so I think we will be checking soon so it can get in for service before. Some of the stories I read about warranty work are scary.
I have a 2016 3011DS that I picked up in January a year ago. The dealer did not want to put water in the tank so that I could check out the water system to make sure it was operational before taking it home. Their rational was that we already checked it so it was necessary i.e. "trust me" Well I pushed the issue issue and they finally relented. And guess what, during the walk through I tested all the faucets and water outlets and let them run for about 3-5 mins each. During the test I walked outside and there was a huge puddle under the RV. Turns out the faucet connection under the Galley sink was bad. They could not take it out normally and ended up cutting the line and then replacing it. So much for the trust factor.

Unfortunately even I did not learn from my own experience. During the walk through I also noticed the freezer doors on our unit were out of alignment. However by this time by wife was so pissed (I told her it should only take a 3-4 hours and we were there all day) I told them I'd take the unit and bring it back in the spring to have the doors fixed. Let's just say 13 months later I'm still trying to get it fixed. #LessonsLearned
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:43 PM   #13

There'll usually be something wrong. Just get it fixed before the warranty runs out! Use it, use it, use it!!!
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:45 PM   #14

Can you send me a copy of your check sheet to r_herndon@acenda.necoxmail.com? Thanks.

R/

Ron
rlh781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:43 PM   #15

Thanks for all the suggestions I have made a list of places to look for water but I believe we will have to wait awhile longer. Sure like the weather now but I know winter is not over yet.

I have a really silly question for anyone. When we bought the unit we didn't know the sofa with foot rests made a bed. However while we were standing around waiting a salesman showing it to someone else pulled something and made it a bed real fast. I have looked it over everywhere and can't figure out how you make it lay flat. Kind of feel like an idiot am I missing something simple? I saw a tab sticking out on pictures of others but I can't find one and nothing to pull. Just wondering don't really need it for a bed except for grandkids.

Thanks again
Old 02-24-2017, 07:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh781 View Post
Can you send me a copy of your check sheet to r_herndon@acenda.necoxmail.com? Thanks.

R/

Ron
I found the checklist I used at RV Inspection Checklist
Old 02-24-2017, 02:18 PM   #17

Shadow 57 it is a jack knife bed. Just lift the front up and pull it toward yourself and it will lay flat. To put back in lift the back and push the front back into position for the couch. Your not the only one that has needed additional instruction to figure out how systems operate in an RV. Thats what these forums are for.
Dr Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Safety View Post
Shadow 57 it is a jack knife bed. Just lift the front up and pull it toward yourself and it will lay flat. To put back in lift the back and push the front back into position for the couch. Your not the only one that has needed additional instruction to figure out how systems operate in an RV. Thats what these forums are for.
Thank you my husband figured it out today, felt like an idiot. What a find lots of storage for stuff I don't use often. I really didn't think it was bad to lay on either, for kids or to watch TV.

So ready for Spring felt like it today but storms now and going back to cold later.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:29 PM   #19

Quote:
We were trading one in and the parts they had to order were a door for the TV jack area and a knob for the skylight shade (they insist on replacing the whole thing said knob was welded on). I too was a little worried but I got an email today that the parts were in, so I guess we will fill with water & finish checking out and send it in. I too have read the horror stories but so far our issues aren't that bad. We had an older man whom I don't think ever owned a MH do our walk thru, service manager said he would get it taken care of.

My plan is to send an email (which didn't work with my salesman upon pick up) with all my issues before hand. I now need a knob for the Truck side mirror adjustment, we can only adjust right side. I'm sure that won't be in stock, so they can order it before we take it.

I hope they will take care of everything and not ruin our camping season. I will be a mean little witch if they don't.
The knob came off of one of our skylight shades too. Probably rough handling at the RV show. They are screwed on, not welded, in our 3051S. The screws are too short. I plan on taking one to the store and buying some that are 1/4 to 1/2 inch longer.

Tags