Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 12:48 AM   #1

Thought we were set on the 3011DS but...

Originally we were leaning towards the 2501TS, but when we went to our big RV show recently, my hubby seemed to be drawn to the 3011DS. Sunday we were in Los Angeles and decided to look at the different floor plans again at a local dealer. We had a chance to walk through the 2861DS and my hubby really liked this model. Some of the observations we made regarding the 2501TS was that there just didn't seem to be enough inside storage for towels and extra sheets.

We used to have a large area under our bed to store extra linens, but the 2501TS does not have any storage under the bed. Touring the 3011DS again, while an awesome floorplan, I felt it just was too much motor home for us. The 32 foot length is a little intimidating for me if I should ever feel inspired to drive it. Haha.

Then there was the 2861DS that we didn't take too much notice of when we were at the show. When we walked through this coach we loved the recliner sofa bed and all the extra overhead cabinets. There is some storage under the bed including drawers as well. The wardrobe is a great size too. The exterior kitchen is a nice feature also. This model was the newest version of the 2017 complete with the OneTouch system, rustic cherry wood that is very dark brown, and stainless steel appliances. I am still very much partial to the previous cherry wood cabinets and panel refrigerator, and although I am an electronics geek, I am not a fan of most of the RV's major systems dependent on software. Also, do any of you think that the oven moving with the slide will present an issue down the road?

There is another local dealer that still has the earlier 2017 versions of this coach with the original features I love. What I was wondering is if those sofas were able to recline. I couldn't tell from the photos. I guess I'll have to call and find out but usually the sales reps are clueless. So if any of you have the earlier 2017 versions of the 2861DS, could you let me know if your sofa reclines with the footrest. Thanks. Hopefully, we'll make up our minds soon on which motor home to order!
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:02 AM   #2

Camperroo,

We placed an order for the newer 2017 version of the 2861DS 3 weeks ago.

I agree with you on preferring the previous style cherry wood cabinets and panel refrigerator versus the current, what some are calling "euro-style", cabinets and stainless steel. I also share your concerns about the major rv systems being reliant on software. We didn't have a lot of options for buying an earlier version since my husband refuses to buy anything but a Chevy and they just started building on that chassis again (no older 2016 or 2017 versions available) so we had to go with the current offerings.

We did get the combination convection/microwave so that took care of our concerns about the oven being in the slide.

I wasn't aware that the earlier versions of the 2861 had a reclining sofa bed so didn't even check that out on the newer version we looked at. Darn!! But we did love the multiple cabinets and the two large wardrobes. We stayed with the smaller refrigerator to keep the pantry.

I love the counter space in the 3011 vs the 2861 and according to specs it is "only" 1.5 feet longer than the 2861, but coming from a 25 footer, going to 31 feet was enough for me. In any event, the 3011 is only available on a Ford chassis so that ruled it out for us.

I'm afraid I don't have much advice / information for you other than to say I agree with your comments and hope you find the unit that works for you. It is a daunting (but exciting) process for sure.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:18 AM   #3

Best thing we ever did was go play house for 30 minutes or so in each model we thought we liked. Being honest about how comfortable you can live in one points out the flaws in a hurry.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:59 AM   #4

Thanks, donniedu. That's why we decided to take a jog over to a dealer who had the Foresters while we were in Los Angeles. When we were able to get more of a "feel" for each floorplan, we discovered there were quite a few features we liked over the 3011DS. The finance manager was super annoying though, and contradicted EVERYTHING I had to say. I wish he would have just left us alone. He ended up telling me I needed to stay off this forum! I guess he didn't like that I was educated. Hahaha.

KayleysMom, I agree with you regarding the counter space in the 3011. It's difficult to sacrifice that with the 2861DS, but the outside kitchen/entertainment center, extra interior storage space, sofa recliner are too awesome to pass up. You may want to ask about the sofa you're getting in your new build. That recliner convertible sofa was really nice.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:44 PM   #5

Camperro: May I ask which Forest River dealer in LA was this, as I'm in LA alot?
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
Camperro: May I ask which Forest River dealer in LA was this, as I'm in LA alot?
We live on the Central Coast and have family in Los Angeles, so we come down occasionally. This was the first time we've come down 2 weekends in a row, but we didn't want to miss the Pomona RV Show. Saturday we went to Simi RV.

This link takes you to the 2861DS:
Forester 2017 2861DS

Even though Simi RV's ad says "They will not be undersold" they would not come close to the RV Wholesalers price, although Mike Thompson RV will come reasonably close. The manager at Simi said that really means they will not be undersold in California. Right. I didn't bother to tell them about the quote I had from Mike Thompson.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #7

Camperroo thanks! I'm looking for another Forest River dealer for service and the Simi Valley location is close to my relatives that I visit. I will never go to Barber RV in Ventura again, as they were the ones who blew up my engine on it's first oil change.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:32 PM   #8

Biggest issue I have with that model is not really having good access to the sink and under sink area when the slide is in. If you never cook or need that area when you don't have the slide out out, should not be a problem. We use the our sink/range top/ oven quite a bit at rest stops, etc. and that was a deal breaker on that model.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Biggest issue I have with that model is not really having good access to the sink and under sink area when the slide is in. If you never cook or need that area when you don't have the slide out out, should not be a problem. We use the our sink/range top/ oven quite a bit at rest stops, etc. and that was a deal breaker on that model.
Thanks for the feedback! I didn't think about that issue. And I do remember using our kitchen while traveling as well.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:12 PM   #10

You are welcome. Most people never think about having to function in their rig without the slides open. One of the main reasons we bought a 3100 Sunseeker (3101 Forester) is that you can use all appliances as normal with the slides in when you need to.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #11

After looking at various brands and also Forester floor plans . . . found the 3011DS to be a great fit. You do need to put slides and and see what you can do. Only issue for us is the bedroom cabinets with slide in . . . but you can still get in them. I traded in a 40' Phaeton for it and love the way it drives. Visibility is better and I can use the mirror to change lanes without spotter. V-10 has plenty of power (except Raton, NM pass). I've had it two years and we've been out 8 trips. Extremely happy with choice. Good luck and happy hunting.
texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #12
Chief tinkerer

Camperoo, we looked for two years. The more we looked and read on this board what others were saying, the wiser we became. We have kids and grandkids in Texas so 2000 miler round trips from Atlanta were in our future. We wanted a bed you could sleep in at a road side park, without putting out a slide, but if the slide were out for longer stays, you could get out of bed without crawling over anyone. Lots of storage in the bedroom. We wanted 2 recliners. We wanted a "U" shaped dinette so a 6 footer could sleep on it if needed. We wanted the dinette and recliners on a slide-out so you had enough room with it open to walk by with someone reclined and lots of floor space for toddler grandkids. We wanted a large kitchen prep area so the meal can be prepared, even with everyone stuck inside on a cold rainy day. We wanted a big fridge to support two couples and two toddlers. Seat belts for 6. Fiberglass roof so we didn't worry about tree branches. Went with the same floorplan as the 3011DS, but in a 2017 Sunseeker. Very pleased after 9000 miles since April.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote