Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #1

Thoughts on a 2251S LEC

Hello All,

Just found this forum as I've been doing online research on what I think will be my ideal RV purchase within the next 2 months. Coming at 'ca from north central Florida and whittled my research down to the Forester 2251S LEC ("C" 'cause friends have steered me to the Chevy instead of Ford engine).

Anyone here have a 2251S LEC I could chat with about pros and cons? My thought process is the smallest "C" I could find as I do not want to tow anything and will be RVing mostly by myself. Thought about a "B" but hate the idea of a wet bath.

Did the price quote on RVWholesalers.com for this unit adding a couple options and it came to 78,935. With the hopefully usual 35% negotiating perhaps it could be ordered for around 51,300. Does this sound about right?

TIA,

Patsy
YodaRules!!!
YodaRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:29 PM   #2

hello Patsy, That's the exact same MH that we have and we love it. We live in central Fl and do A 4 day weekend a month, Very comfortable for our purpose. Mine is the 2251sle
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:03 PM   #3

PoppyToymaker,

Did you purchase new or used? If new, did you experience any kinks that needed to be paid attention to?

Patsy
Old 03-06-2015, 09:39 PM   #4

Ordered it in early Oct, took posession Dec 31. The first thing I did was take it to a tire shop and have truck type valve extensions put in the dual tires and then get rid of the hubcaps and install wheel simulators. Trucks been virtually flawless so far knock wood but continually improving. Like the Chevy 4500 much better than the Ford.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:58 AM   #5

Those are the things I would not know what to do in the beginning -- valve extenders. What are wheel simulators? Do you have a generator? That is on my list of things to have. Any idea, from the view times you used your RV, what mpg it's getting? Soooo many questions... Today, am going to make a spreadsheet of pros and cons for 3 RVs that are very similar. The 2251s LEC, Coachmen Freelander 21QB and one other that doesn't come to mind right now. A good amount of outside storage is needed and I think the specs stated the 2251S has about 32 square feet -- is that 2 compartments?

Thanks for your help,

Patsy
Old 03-07-2015, 09:43 AM   #6

The truck comes with hubcaps, so you have to remove the hubcaps every time you want to check the tire pressure. The simulators fit recessed into the wheels and they are matched to look like polished wheels and the valve extenders potrude to make valves excessible and they look nicer than the cheap hubcaps. Three ouside compartmens one long one on the drivers side that holds our folding chairs. I don't know how much storage you need but it works for us, and lots of cabinettes inside for it's size.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #7

You have been VERY helpful... Went to rvwholesalers.com and did the "Custom build your RV" and got a MSRP of $79,346.72 including the options (see below) then did the "chat" and asked about a generator as the specs did not have anything on that. Was advised generator was included in price. Sales person is gonna email me (so I will have it in writing of our end result price $50,038. Plus they will pay for the flight getting me to Ohio. From your purchase dealings -- is this a good deal?

Make: Forester Model: 2251SLEC MSRP: $79,346.72 Color: Sahara Options: • Extra 12V Deep Cycle Battery • Cherry Wood Interior • Chevy Vortec 6.0L Chassis • Forester LE Standards: Fiberglass Roof, GPS Navigation, Ducted A/C, Rotocast Storage, Integrated Entry Step, Glass Shower Door, Beauflor, Queen Walk-Around Bed, Microwave, Range and Oven, Porcelain Toilets, 7ft Interior Living Height, Gelcoat Sidewalls, 5,000 LBS Hitch, 2 inch Sidewalls, Power Awning w/LED Light Strip, Roof Ladder • Aluminum Running Boards • Back Up Camera w/Monitor • Fiberglass Front Cap • Dealer Prep - FREE! • RVWholesalers Nationwide Service Network • Large Entry Grab Handle • Deluxe Starter Kit • Roof Vent Covers (1 Covers) • Fill Two Propane Tanks

thanks so much

Patsy
Old 03-07-2015, 11:10 AM   #8

Is that with a bedroom slideout, and make sure your getting a molded cap.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #9

I have the 2251s and I love it! The only thing I "pull" is my bicycle! �� I travel alone and it is plenty big enough for me.
Connie Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:49 PM   #10

Was looking at the 2250 Sunseeker and the 2251 Forester and ready to purchase either one when we stumbled across a Coachmen Freelander 21RS on a Chevy chasis and fell in LOVE with it. Has color infused fiberglass which is nice. Just made a deal on 1 and will pick it up this next Sat. Almost identical to the 2250/2251 but much nice and a real good looking unit. I swore I would never buy another rig after owning over 20 of them but we just Love the 21rs.

PS it has a queen walk around be like the 2250/2251 which is a big selling point. I found that shopping on RVTrader.com: RV Sales - Class A, B, C Motorhomes, Travel Trailers, & Pop Up Camper RVs For Sale is the best way to go.
gizmojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:53 PM   #11

Hi Connie Jo
Absolutly, me and my signifcant other partnered up and bought this after checking out others in the same range. Just do long weekends and rent a car. Haven't gone to far yet, so many places here in Fl. My ladyfriend has 2 dogs and I have no desire to travel with them so she boards them for 4 days and I pay half. so right now 4days are max.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppytoymaker View Post
Is that with a bedroom slideout, and make sure your getting a molded cap.
Yep, it's the side bedroom slide and I selected the additional option of fiberglass front cap (is that what you are meaning by "molded cap"). Am mulling it over for the next few days (and probably bugging you to death in the process) before the final decision. Am in hopes of getting 11 mpg with this rig on an average.

Patsy
Old 03-07-2015, 02:22 PM   #13

Well if your getting it for the price your paying I'd say go for it. I paid 60,000 out the door and the only thing I have that you don't is the entertainment center and upgraded mattress and I think they include that now. The one advantage for me is that I bought it within 20 miles of my home.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppytoymaker View Post
one advantage for me is that I bought it within 20 miles of my home.
And that is a BIG advantage -- am still hesitate about jumping in the RV and leaving Ohio for Florida. That will be the journey to work out the assembly kinks and mishaps and that is what is holding me back. Did call CampingWorld as there are 2 within 45 miles from me and neither seemed to interested in working with me if I wanted to pay under 58K.

Thanks for your assistance in helping me decided and best travels to you,

Patsy
Class C 24' Forester 2251S LEC -- maybe
Old 03-08-2015, 02:16 AM   #15

As for the price and working with RV Wholesalers I would recommend it. We just took delivery of a 2015 Forester 3011DS and couldn't be happier and we saved around $13,000 over the best price from the local dealers. If the local dealers were willing to come closer on price I would have jumped at it. I understand the value of buying from the local dealer but I also know for us it came down to saving a lot of money.

We even paid extra and had it delivered and still saved that much. The delivery option was really good for us since we didn't have the time to go pick it up and drive it to Oregon. You could look into the delivery cost if you didn't want to drive it from Ohio yourself.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:08 PM   #16

Thanks All,

I am emailing with Mitch at RV Wholesalers about this potential purchase. If it works out will be driving it home to Northern Florida which I feel will be a good test drive and see if there are any kinks.

Maybe I'll meet up with other FROG's in my future travels..... hope so, anyway!

Patsy
Old 03-18-2015, 12:56 PM   #17

Still negotiating..... question to current 2251 owners -- I'm looking for a bed that can be left made most of the time. Can this be done with the slide?

Patsy
Old 04-29-2015, 08:12 AM   #18

It has a slide out. If you are at a park and will be staying there for few days then yes but not when the slide are in. The bed is in two pieces. The half lays over the other when the slide moves inward.
markcho65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:07 PM   #19

I purchased mine a week ago for $49500
markcho65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
24' class c, forester 2251s, purchase price