Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #1

Tire Pressure? Forester MH

I have a new 2501 Forester. Last week I checked my tire pressure, about 50 lbs in each. Checked the door jam and they should be about 75 to 80 lbs each. I filled the tires to the recommended 75 to 80 lbs. OMG it now rides like I have solid steel tires.
My question, what pressure do you have fill your tires to?
leftyneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #2

80 in the back 75 up front
4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #3

X2
Gilm2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Check the Ride Rite or bags...make sure there is not too much air in those.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #5

I put 50 lbs in the bags , they were around 35. BTY for those interested, Navy beat Army. I was on the USS Bennington 58,59 and 60, Go Navy, beat Army......again and again, and again
leftyneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #6

I can calculate it for you if you give me the needed data.

From motorhome that is Best seperately weighed wheel(pair) loads in the loading you drive .
Second best is axle weighing, but in lack of both we will have to do with the GAWR's and GVWR ( Gross Axle/Vehicle Weight Rating) .
Then the configuration like number of axles and tires/axle ( single or dual load) front and behind. And the speed you drive and wont go over for even a minute

From tires the maximum load or loadindex
Kind of tire to determine the AT-pressure/reference-pressure/maxloadpressure.
This is for instance E-load 80 psi, G-load 110 psi.
Maximum speed or speedcode of tire.
Can all be read from the sidewall.

Give all that and I will give a picture of my filled in spreadsheet in my answer.

My expectation is when single load behind that front can go as low as 60 psi and rear needs the 75/80 psi to cover little overloading and unequal loading R/L wich can be as high as 200 lbs .
When dual load the pressures could be right .
the first I think is the case because you experiënce a hard ride, and you are sitting close to the front axle wich has to high pressure for the load.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:54 PM   #7

40lbs in the bags and 80/75 in rear\front tires.
prien007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyneil View Post
I have a new 2501 Forester. Last week I checked my tire pressure, about 50 lbs in each. Checked the door jam and they should be about 75 to 80 lbs each. I filled the tires to the recommended 75 to 80 lbs. OMG it now rides like I have solid steel tires.
My question, what pressure do you have fill your tires to?
I'd be concerned about internal sidewall tire damage if you ran that low for any extended trip say 100+ miles especially in warm weather. However the 2501 is less than 10K lbs not like a 31 footer which is in the 12K+ range in weight which helps. You really can't inspect or see this kind of damage unless there is sidewall distortion without removing a tire and looking inside. I would at least consult a professional tire shop about their recommendations. It may be worth it to look inside at least one.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #9

we run ours at the placard tire pressures and 50 in the airbags. Rides like a truck but then.... We also look at tires at each stop and 'feel' for hot tires. Got an awful lot of tire problem free miles; but then again rather be lucky than good any day
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geri View Post
we run ours at the placard tire pressures and 50 in the airbags. Rides like a truck but then.... We also look at tires at each stop and 'feel' for hot tires. Got an awful lot of tire problem free miles; but then again rather be lucky than good any day

Feeling the tires is a great way to head off problems and I have done it for years. Now I use an infrared temp gun that I got at harbor freight for about $25. It's interesting that you can tell the impact of sunlight on one side and even the the right inside dual which sees some extra heat from the exhaust that runs down that side of the chassis.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester, pressure, tire