Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #21

I have the latest TireMinder on my coach, toad and dolly. It comes with 6 senders. (I had more from an older model that work on the new model).
The latest model comes with a range extender to make sure you get a good signal.

Wouldn't be without it. Real peace of mind.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:53 PM   #22
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
Faulty leaking valve extenders on our Sunseeker have short circuited a trip each year now. So I'm planning to remove them altogether & replace with a TPMS. I'm leaning toward the TST 507 based upon what I've read on various RV forums (or one by Tire-Safeguard as it's ranked higher than the TST on Amazon).

My question is do the flow through sensors "fit" on the valves with the simulated wheel covers still installed? I had read somewhere that because the flow through sensors are bigger they interfere with the simulated wheel covers.

Seem like quite a few people here have flow through sensors so thought I'd check with the group.

Thanks in advance!
I installed mine on the existing extender.. I took off a small 1" extension that was installed first. I had to modify...err..cut notches in the rear simulators so the TST507 would fit. Unless you know what you're looking for you can't notice it. I had the problems with leakage before installing the TST's, but not anymore. On a side note, I installed the 507's on the airbags. Works great except every large bump results in an alarm.... The sensors sense the drastic pressure change as a leak.... I may scrape that idea.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:10 PM   #23

This is the same system as "Tire Minder" and "Tire Tracker".
Tiretech on Tire Pressure Monitoring System w 10 Brass Sensors 0 232 PSI TP7004 | eBay

As for flow through, I think they are good, but much larger and you still have to remove the valve stem cover to add air. Sames as backing off the sensor since I don't use the locks. Just me!
Old 05-14-2015, 08:46 PM   #24

Tire pressure monitoring system

I used my new Tire Traker this past weekend and am very happy with it. It even arrived with free over night shipping even though I didn't need it. Pressure readings are within 1 psi of my digital gauge. During travel my pressures went up 5-6 psi and temps were 10-20 degrees above ambient temp depending on which tires were in the sun. I expected some air loss putting them on and off and surprisingly there is barely a hiss.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #25

Never Use Unless You Have Metal Valve Stems

Bravo JrWalkPa1 !!

No matter what seller's tell you, PLEASE install metal valve stems if you use the TPMS sensors that attach to your valve stems. They weigh around 1/2 an ounce, which isn't much, until the centrifugal force inertia of a spinning wheel multiplies it and deforms the base of a rubber stem.

We'd just pulled off I-5 at 2 AM to overnight at a rest area. We heard a loud pop and then a loud hiss we attributed to a big rig emptying its air tank. It was one of our valve stems. This was on a light truck Michelin at 80 psi on tires with less than 16,000 miles. The photo tells the story. We replaced all with metal stems at the next town's tire shop.

The TPMS vendor's user manual recommends metal stems, but, says nothing about requiring them. The brand is one you see most often in on-line RV publications. Though they function well, I wouldn't use them on any tire that doesn't have metal stems.
Attached Images

MiataHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:04 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiataHoarder View Post
Bravo JrWalkPa1 !!

No matter what seller's tell you, PLEASE install metal valve stems if you use the TPMS sensors that attach to your valve stems. They weigh around 1/2 an ounce, which isn't much, until the centrifugal force inertia of a spinning wheel multiplies it and deforms the base of a rubber stem.

We'd just pulled off I-5 at 2 AM to overnight at a rest area. We heard a loud pop and then a loud hiss we attributed to a big rig emptying its air tank. It was one of our valve stems. This was on a light truck Michelin at 80 psi on tires with less than 16,000 miles. The photo tells the story. We replaced all with metal stems at the next town's tire shop.

The TPMS vendor's user manual recommends metal stems, but, says nothing about requiring them. The brand is one you see most often in on-line RV publications. Though they function well, I wouldn't use them on any tire that doesn't have metal stems.
If you put on 507 TST they say do not put on a rubber stem more then 1 and 1/4" long. But they should be put on metal stems as you found out. Glad you got metal ones installed...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:41 PM   #27

Getting ready to order a tpms system . Is the TST 507 still the way to go. Looks like a lot of people on this forum are going that route.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:20 AM   #28

It is the best system and CS that I know of. I guess all systems have there plus's and minuses but I still think it is best on the market as of today. You will never know what is happening on your trailer tires, unless you have some kinda of monitoring system. I would think that your answer is really yes TST has still proven to be overall best and most members use that brand, that I can tell.....

Old 03-30-2016, 04:56 AM   #29

X2 on the TST system.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #30
Site Team

X3 on the TST 507...
Old 03-30-2016, 03:53 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiataHoarder View Post
Bravo JrWalkPa1 !!

You are correct except for the part of metal stems. TST will state not to install on rubber stems more then 1/4" other wise use metal. Metal is the way to go and SHOULD be used but they do say they can be installed on rubber stems not to exceed 1/4". Now this was like 3 years ago so they might have changed there recommendation. I used them on a rubber 1/4" stem until I bought new tires and then switched to bolt on metal. I do agree they should be on metal per your post myself..

Old 03-30-2016, 05:37 PM   #32

I agree that metal valve stems are optimal. BUT, I bought chrome valve stem covers. They slip over the rubber stem and the lower part of the sleeve fits snug in the pocket in the wheel at the base of the stem. This prevents the rubber stem from flexing. Over 7k miles on my setup without any issues or signs of flex.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:30 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
I agree that metal valve stems are optimal. BUT, I bought chrome valve stem covers. They slip over the rubber stem and the lower part of the sleeve fits snug in the pocket in the wheel at the base of the stem. This prevents the rubber stem from flexing. Over 7k miles on my setup without any issues or signs of flex.
Sounds like that is working for you, I know that when I had them on mine the blow through which were just slightly heavier then the screw on type, that the locking screw showed marks on my rim where the screw was hitting so I knew they where flexing to much, So when I bought the new tires which came with rubber stems 1/4" I had them put in after, that is how I found out about the flexing of the stem. If I remember right, they charged me 9.00 per tire to install the metal stems. The system may not be perfect as other threads have said but, I'm so glad my friend OC said to buy it. Makes me feel safer knowing whats going on back there, blowouts scare me, after my first blow out and seen that tire I can see why it causes so much damage. I was lucky I seen it blow and was able to stop in time to stop any damage....

Old 03-31-2016, 05:53 AM   #34

Have them on my toad. Rubber stems, 20000 miles, no issues.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:31 AM   #35

I have the eezz tire monitor they don't install as ezz as they tell you. I have 2 trailers that I want to monitor. bought the relay that they said I would need .installed them .called the service guy who that is all he does no help .it was like I was bothering him.never will buy them again
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire