Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #1

Tire Replacement Issue

Just replaced all the tires on our 2013 SS3170. Bought the rig a little over 1 1/2 years ago with 18K miles. Knew we'd need tires and that time came after finding some dry rot cracking on all of the tires. So, my question is that it appeared that the duelies had never been off the rig as the tire tech had a hell of a time breaking them off. Lots of PB Baster, Liquid Wrench, time and lots of wacks to the tires with a sledge. Eventually they came off and now have new Michelins all around. Any other tricks to get very stubborn tires/rims off? If I needed road service, I would have had to have been towed as roadside wasn't the place for this problem.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:00 PM   #2
Senior Members

The people before you probably never rotated the Tires. I have mine done every 6k miles.

2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Butch & Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #3

6K, ok what tires go where, side to side only for the rear and fronts or more involved?
Old 01-20-2017, 08:00 PM   #4
Senior Members

Side to side.

2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Butch & Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:20 PM   #5

When I pulled the wheels off the Four Winds, I cleaned off the rust, then applied some cold galvanizing to both the hubs and wheels where they mated up. I didn't have a bit of problems since then:

I've yet to pull the wheels on our 2016 2250 Sunseeker but when I do, I'll do the same treatment.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #6

I use the standard dual tire rotation which is the same as the Michelin site depicts:
Tire Rotation | How often should I be rotating tires? | Michelin US

Fronts off, rolled to rear, same side.
Rears off, inner dual rolled to fronts
Outer dual flipped, pushed to inner dual
fronts become outer dual.

There are alternates as well.

Some people never rotate & claim it is a waste of time, but I like to do it. Duals wear at the outer edge, and steer tires wear depending on the alignment & whether you've had to deal with a lot of crosswinds recently. (try crossing the Great Salt Lake sometime when the wind is quartering at 30-40mph)
Old 01-26-2017, 03:29 PM   #7

What we have found at the shop, working on big rigs with both aluminum and steel disc wheels is, we use battery terminal anti-corrosion spray (comes in a spray can and it's red). We spray not only the mounting flange but the mounting faces of each wheel (where they mate together). Makes removal a snap.....

Plus a bit of copper never-sieze on the stud threads too. No sledge hammers in our shop, they come right apart.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:24 PM   #8

What brand tires where original ? My 2014 / 2860 had Michelin on them I called them they told me to go to a local certified dealer show them tires. Dealer could not believe the condition of side walls. 18000 miles they gave me about 600 dollars off 6 new tires not happy 2 seasons old and 6 new tires but got something back. Michelin site has lots of recalls but not my size. Don't hurt to still call them. I replaced them with BF Goodrich
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTRVing View Post
6K, ok what tires go where, side to side only for the rear and fronts or more involved?
Here's a link to the 2016 Silverado Owners Manual:

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...ers-manual.pdf

Page 423 shows the tire rotation for standard wheels and polished wheels (wheels where the rims are not a match front to back)

Attached is a screen grab I took of the page:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Rotation.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	128766  
TheUO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired on a mountain View Post
What brand tires where original ?
My tires, according to the date code were made in March 2012, as the year of my chassis is a 2012 Ford E-450, the Coach itself is a 2013. So, the tires are just shy of 5 years old and had 25K on them. All of the tires showed dry rot, a few worse then others. They did not have dry rot early last year, as I and my son-in-law who is a real car guy checked them. So, in the course of a year the cracking showed up. The rig has sat since last September until this January, and as long as i have owned it I have always used tire covers.

I got the rig with 18K on it, I have no idea how or where they were stored prior to that time.

The tire guy felt that the wear was about right for 5 year old tires, lots of tread, just a fair amount of cracking on the sidewalls. Hey, I have piece of mind that my tires are safe at this point. A blow out isn't worth it to me to stretch the life a bit.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #11

Just saying if more people call tire company maybe there will or would be a recall on tires. Michilin site shows recalls around my date on tires just not my size.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #12

Sure, makes sense. Never know if there is a recall without checking.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired on a mountain View Post
What brand tires where original ? My 2014 / 2860 had Michelin on them I called them they told me to go to a local certified dealer show them tires. Dealer could not believe the condition of side walls. 18000 miles they gave me about 600 dollars off 6 new tires not happy 2 seasons old and 6 new tires but got something back. Michelin site has lots of recalls but not my size. Don't hurt to still call them. I replaced them with BF Goodrich
The ride is much better also.

Tags
replacement, tire