Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019, 01:34 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Conway , SC
Posts: 9
Toad Options

Bought a 2018 Forester MBS last year with intentions of not towing anything and just using rental cars. We have decided that is such a pain so we just sold our heavy Buick and are now looking for a towable. We can tow 4,000 lbs. but I would like to keep it closer to 3,000. Any suggestions from experienced users would be appreciated. Thanks
__________________

Squirelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:35 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Blueberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirelboy View Post
Bought a 2018 Forester MBS last year with intentions of not towing anything and just using rental cars. We have decided that is such a pain so we just sold our heavy Buick and are now looking for a towable. We can tow 4,000 lbs. but I would like to keep it closer to 3,000. Any suggestions from experienced users would be appreciated. Thanks


We pull a 2012CRV and really like it. It only takes about 10 minutes to fully hook it up and disconnect with the blue ox tow bar system. The CRV weights 3300 pounds. The new CRVís can not be flat towed, so you need to get one that is earlier than 2015. Many people flat tow the CRV as you see many of them being pulled . Only stipulation is you have to keep the speed under 65MPH.
__________________

Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:49 AM   #3
Senior Gold Member
 
rthomaslyons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 156
Just bought a new 2018 Toyota Corolla iM with a 6-speed manual. I love the car, tracks well and you have to keep checking the rear camera because it feels like there is nothing there!
__________________
rthomaslyons
2019 Sunseeker 3010 DSF
rthomaslyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Conway , SC
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
We pull a 2012CRV and really like it. It only takes about 10 minutes to fully hook it up and disconnect with the blue ox tow bar system. The CRV weights 3300 pounds. The new CRVís can not be flat towed, so you need to get one that is earlier than 2015. Many people flat tow the CRV as you see many of them being pulled . Only stipulation is you have to keep the speed under 65MPH.


Thank you. That one is on our list to look at.
Squirelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:14 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Conway , SC
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomaslyons View Post
Just bought a new 2018 Toyota Corolla iM with a 6-speed manual. I love the car, tracks well and you have to keep checking the rear camera because it feels like there is nothing there!


Thanks for the reply. That is also on my list if I can get the wife to go along with the manual transmission.
Squirelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:17 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 112
We've towed (with a 3011 DS) a Kia Soul six-speed stick for 15,000 miles. I couldn't be happier. Weighs about 2700lbs and gets close to 40 MPG driving.
Mach428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:26 PM   #7
Lacey's Spring, AL
 
formerFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Lacey's Spring, AL
Posts: 2,066
a simple, economical, and easy to find 2014 Ford Fiesta or Focus, both automatic, and easily towable, both less than 3,000lbs(2,400 and 2,600)
__________________

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx,
99,000+mi since '14, US, Alaska, Canada, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:45 PM   #8
PPST Wannabe
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
We pull a 2012CRV and really like it. It only takes about 10 minutes to fully hook it up and disconnect with the blue ox tow bar system. The CRV weights 3300 pounds. The new CRVís can not be flat towed, so you need to get one that is earlier than 2015. Many people flat tow the CRV as you see many of them being pulled . Only stipulation is you have to keep the speed under 65MPH.
Good suggestion, but very important........

Honda CRV MUST BE 2014 or older to flat tow.
__________________

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:30 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Good suggestion, but very important........

Honda CRV MUST BE 2014 or older to flat tow.
We just starting towing a 2014 CRV (AWD Auto) this year after towing a Subaru (manual) for the last three years and so far so good. Staying below 65 is not an issue for us since we almost always stay in the 60-65 range when towing.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:49 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Gumpster808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 813
2018 Hyundai Elantra sport six speed here. They did remove the 19ís from the approved four down list though.

Less than 3,000 lbs and hardly know it is back there behind our Forester.

Good luck with the search.
__________________

__________________
Lynn & Dennis
Nights Camped 2017 - 35 / 2018 - 15
2014 3051S - First RV for us
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport Toad
2015 Harley CVO (retirement bike )
2015 Challenger ( Wife's Toy)
Gumpster808 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
toad

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 AM.