Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2015, 07:07 PM   #1

toad protection

I gave up on tow dolly. Towing a jeep JKU I have all of the equipment except toad protection. I think I have narrowed it down between protect a tow and the Blue ox equivalent Kar Guard 2. Kar Guard 2 simple to hook up-cost more. Protect a tow cheaper but with the bumper is higher on my 3011ds than the hitch I would have to make modifications. I also not too keen on drilling for the I bolts on motorhome and Jeep. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks
edfgrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:18 PM   #2

I have had a protect a tow, really I have purchased two. Both failed the first season of use. They work great until they fail. I think it depends on how well it lines up between the motor home and toad. My cars were low and required a drop along with the tow bar and the Protect a Tow has to be under the bar. In both cases the bungee cord that makes up the perimeter of the net broke and when it does the whole thing just goes away all you have left is the eye bolts.
caesar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:31 AM   #3

Toad Protection

I'm towing a Mini Cooper with an Acme tow dolly. I have noticed that I am getting paint chips on the front of the Mini. Does anyone have suggestions for protecting the Mini. I am looking at the protect-a-tow but concerned about whether it will last and how it will work with the tow dolly.
mdebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdebs View Post
I'm towing a Mini Cooper with an Acme tow dolly. I have noticed that I am getting paint chips on the front of the Mini. Does anyone have suggestions for protecting the Mini. I am looking at the protect-a-tow but concerned about whether it will last and how it will work with the tow dolly.
May be kind of expensive but there are numerous manufacturers of Mini Cooper bras. Just depends on what your Mini is worth.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:40 PM   #5

When I researched toad protection I found a majority of those that used it felt it was a net negative so I've not used any. Outside of needing to wash the toad more often we've had no chips or dings in 14,000 miles of towing.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:36 AM   #6

Put a LaBra on the front of my CRV.
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #7

We have the Blue Ox set up on our Wrangler. Definitely not cheap, but we paid our local RV service business to do the install.

Toni and Sal
2016 Forester 2291S
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:15 PM   #8

I have been towing our Jeep Liberty 4 down without protection for 6 years now with no signs of damage except for some dust. I rarely drive on gravel or dirt roads except for my driveway and some campgrounds.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:23 PM   #9

RE

I have the kar guard and did my own damage the first time I used it. Left the center rod out when I mounted it. Other then my stupidity it works pretty good
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:17 PM   #10

I am deciding whether to tow or not. Am I mistaken thinking that a good set of mud/stone guards behind the rear tires on my class c would be sufficient to protect the toad?
Old 02-16-2017, 09:41 PM   #11

re

I use the Blue Ox car guard, it does a pretty good job
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:27 PM   #12

We've towed our toad 18,000 miles without any kind of guard. Zero problems or stone chips.

Tags
toad