Old 06-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #1

Toad Tail Light Troubles

Well I finally had a chance to hook up the toad to the RV after getting it back (temporarily) from the dealer. I had spent the last 3 weeks putting on the base plate and completing the wiring and lights but unfortunately could not hook it up to the RV to test until just now. Not unexpectedly it was not working. After doing some preliminary testing it looks like I am getting 12V between the battery charge terminal (4) and the ground terminal (1) but that is all. I assume that if the tail lights are on in the RV then I should also see 12V between the tail light terminal (3) and the ground ground (1)?

I should probably ask, just to make sure, if someone can confirm that this is indeed the correct pin out for the 7-way connector on the back of the forester RV's. ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7wayconnectordiagram.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	112224  

newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:27 PM   #2

That's the pattern on our Sunseeker. I believe it's the standard pattern for 7 pin connectors.

What chassis do you have? You may have a fuse and/or relay missing. On our Ford E450 chassis the trailer light circuits are fed through fuses and relays so the chassis light circuits are not overloaded. If a trailer light circuit shorts it does not affect the chassis lights.

RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
That's the pattern on our Sunseeker. I believe it's the standard pattern for 7 pin connectors.

What chassis do you have? You may have a fuse and/or relay missing. On our Ford E450 chassis the trailer light circuits are fed through fuses and relays so the chassis light circuits are not overloaded. If a trailer light circuit shorts it does not affect the chassis lights.
We have a 3011DS which is also an E450. I thought that might be a possibility that the trailer lights might be fused/relayed somewhere else on the chassis. I'll have to do a search on that and see what I can find.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #4

There's a 20 amp fuse under the hood that controls the power to the tow vehicle lights. Guess why I know that.
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Workin on my Curmudgeon badge
rapiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:22 PM   #5

The towed vehicle running (tail) light fuse blew on ours once. I didn't have a spare that size so I just used the same size fuse from the backup lights. It got me home. The fuse hasn't blown again. I guessed water got into a wiring harness connector.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #6

I did find a 20A blown fuse under the hood, which when replaced permitted power to show up at the back of the RV. Now I just need to figure out why it blew in the first place. On the plus side I did find out the the spare fuse kit I was going to use for this vehicle wont work since they are " mini" fuses and the Ford E450 uses "low profile mini" fuses. $20 later I know have a spare fuse kit that will actually work!
Old 06-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #7

I had a fuse blow, figured water got into the toad light 7 way to 4 way adapter. Never happened again.

I also bought a spare fuse that was too tall. In a pinch I could have used it and left the fuse box cover open. Don't throw away the tall fuses. Use a tall one while you are looking for the short. If it blows you haven't lost one that fits with the cover closed.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #8

OK. I figured out why the fuse was blowing. The tech support people at Superbrightleds.com gave me the wrong function for the wire leads on the sockets I bought to use the LED bulbs. I rewired the taillights again to new sockets and bulbs and now at least I have working tail and brake lights on the toad. Now, i just need to get the turn signals working. A left turn signal turns on both and the right works neither. Go figure.....

Tags
light, toad