Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2018, 09:03 PM   #1

Toilet troubles

We have our 2018 3011ds out on it's inaugural trip and have had to fix several small and one large problem. One that has me confused is the toilet leaks behind the wooden spacer behind it occasionally and then stops. Also the bathroom really smells all the time even though I keep a lot of blue stuff in the toilet. We have had at least 5 other campers in our lives and have never had one that smells this badly. Do you think the vent pipe could be clogged? The rig is brand new so this seems unlikely but not sure what else could be causing the smell. The toilet itself isn't leaking, but a water pipe in the wooden spacer, I believe. Line may have frozen before we bought it new front the dealer. I think this is a separate issue and not related to the bad smell, but not sure.
Any thoughts?
Sherol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:25 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Water pipe leak is bad news. Top priority repair. Smell issue can be a plugged vent but may not be the black tank. Could be under the bathroom sink.
If you post pics the gang would have an easier time translating what you are talking about.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #3

I'm sorry but I don't know how to post a picture. I read the FAQ and didn't help. When I click the photo option above it asks for URL and I don't know what that is or where to find it> I did click on add video and choose file and downloaded the photos but they don't show up when I post.

I was able to post a photo from my phone, not the computer.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Check under the bathroom vanity. many units use a vacuum breaker that is mounted under the sink. These are notorious for failing open and allowing odors from the grey tank to enter the bathroom. If you have one, you can tap on it to try to reset it but it will need to be replaced eventually. Valve looks like below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air gap.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	167191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air gap2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	167192  

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:06 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply. Water leak is from under the wooden areaClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6450.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	167193
Old 04-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherol View Post
I'm sorry but I don't know how to post a picture. I read the FAQ and didn't help. When I click the photo option above it asks for URL and I don't know what that is or where to find it> I did click on add video and choose file and downloaded the photos but they don't show up when I post.
I am installing a new toilet this summer. DW says the flush water does not go around the bowl all the way leaving a smell.

As for pictures. Go up to the paper clip next to the happy face the dodad bar. click on "choose a file". you pics will be available. Pick one and open it. A new window will open. click download file. then go to preview as see what you got.
then click "submit reply"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nascar 2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	167194  
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #7

The smell could be from an internal water leak of the toilet that does not run out onto the floor. DOMETIC had a recall. The seal between the bowl and pedistal may be leaking "dirty" water. The back of the toilet has a large opening for the smell to come out and water to evaporate. I was able to hold my cell phone camera behind the toilet and take pictures of the inside.

If that doesn't make sense, think of the toilet as 2 soup bowls stacked one on top of the other. There is some space between the bowls. The top bowl is leaking a little bit into the bottom.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:48 PM   #8
Certified Curmudgeon

Well it looks like you have the pic posting mastered. Well done. FlyBob’s post is a perfect example of the vent.
Keystoner’s post reflects a possibility as well.
The box behind the toilet is basically a cable chase. If there are water lines in it there should not be a junction. So look into the cabinet on the right and possibly up into compartments below. Water can travel quite a ways before it finds a way out.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #9

The water supply line to the toilet, and both the hot & cold lines to the bathroom sink are back there ! If you have not, check the connection(s) behind the toilet, and both under the sink.

Those are fresh water lines and should not have an odor. Toilet checked for tightness to floor ? Running exhaust fan while flushing can suck the black tank flumes back up into the bathroom.
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherol View Post
We have our 2018 3011ds out on it's inaugural trip and have had to fix several small and one large problem. One that has me confused is the toilet leaks behind the wooden spacer behind it occasionally and then stops. Also the bathroom really smells all the time even though I keep a lot of blue stuff in the toilet. We have had at least 5 other campers in our lives and have never had one that smells this badly. Do you think the vent pipe could be clogged? The rig is brand new so this seems unlikely but not sure what else could be causing the smell. The toilet itself isn't leaking, but a water pipe in the wooden spacer, I believe. Line may have frozen before we bought it new front the dealer. I think this is a separate issue and not related to the bad smell, but not sure.
Any thoughts?
I have a 2016 3011 that had a leak in the same area. That wooden spacer should just have cables and water lines in it. The leak in my unit turned out to be a broken 90 degree PVC elbow on the other side of the bathroom wall where the water lines connect to the outside faucet. I did end of replacing both of them with brass connectors to avoid having the same issue again.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ll-142452.html

It's possible that that you have the same issue and the water is just leaking out from the lowest point which is from under the wooden spacer. Or it may be that the water connection inside the spacer has the same PVC elbow and it has a crack in it.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoner View Post
The smell could be from an internal water leak of the toilet that does not run out onto the floor. DOMETIC had a recall. The seal between the bowl and pedistal may be leaking "dirty" water. The back of the toilet has a large opening for the smell to come out and water to evaporate. I was able to hold my cell phone camera behind the toilet and take pictures of the inside.

If that doesn't make sense, think of the toilet as 2 soup bowls stacked one on top of the other. There is some space between the bowls. The top bowl is leaking a little bit into the bottom.
Yes, that's a possibility.
We had this 'leak' a few years back, I took the toilet bowl off of the pedestal reseated the gasket and put it all back together. Took me about 1/2 hour incl. cleanup. Never had a problem since, no smell no leaks.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:16 PM   #12
Jeff

I had the same problem with my 319MBS - took it to the dealer and it was the same problem as cypressloser - dealer fixed it and no leaky since.
Jcf0527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:49 PM   #13
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

Thanks to everyone who contributed !!

We located the source of the rank odor after reading this thread, grabbing a flashlight and using our nose.

We have the same bowl-inna-bowl problem.

Took it apart, cleaned out the maggots (eek, they were tiny though), sterilized everything, then re-assembled.

Keeping our fingers crossed.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote